1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[auto repair] how much would it cost to replace an ac compressor?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Jul 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The ac compressor in our 03 dodge caravan crapped out. We have a good mechanic, he was featured in the Chron's Ultimate Houston guide back in 04 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ultimate/goodsservices04/2770673.html), and I'm sure he'll do the best he can to find the part at a good price. The thing is I've got my dad breathing down my neck with this thing to ask around and find a price for this job even though I told him Hector would call on monday with an estimate. Anyways, where should I look to get a good idea of the cost of the compressor because the sites I keep finding don't give me much confidence, I know some of you do your own auto repair and probably know how to find parts better than I can. Secondly, do you guys think I could just ring up mechanics (probably large national chains) and get an estimate just from telling them what I need them to replace?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

1300-1700 for when my ac compressor crapped out.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

AC compressors are expensive -- installing them is a pain and there is a lot of other things you have to do to get it running right again (recharging the system etc). Look to spend at the very minimum $800, but probably over a grand.

An AC should obviously last much longer than 2 and a half years ~ Dodge...

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Here's what I paid for a similar job back in 2004 (pulled out my bill just for you). This was a dealer job so you know I got ripped off.

Parts: $841
    Labor: $1008
    -------------
    Total: $1849

Here is the parts breakdown:

QTY DESC COST
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1 TARM REMAN COMPRE & CL ASY - A/C $430
    1 AA ACUM & SW ASY-A/C (W/AUX) $110
    32 A/C REFRIG $32
    1 AB ORFC-AC EVP COR $5
    1 B TUBE ASY-A/C COND TO EVAP $160
    1 SOLV A/C SYS FLUSH $103.55

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I'm right there with ya bro. Mine cost a fortune, because moisture got in and corroded everything.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

surf,

you got ripped dude

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's what I said. They also didn't do the job right. Ford sucks.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Damn, it its just the compressor, it shouldn't be that bad. Is there a leak, or did the compressor just quit working. If you lost your freon charge, you have a leak somewhere. The clutch will not engage the compressor if you have no freon. If you have freon and the clutch is not turning on, you may have a blown fuse or a short somewhere. Run a direct line from the compressor switch prongs to the battery/ground. If the clutch engages with a direct line, check the electrical.

If it's just the clutch, you can rent a clutch removal tool from autozone, but the compressor clutch for about $100.00, and actually do it yourself.

If it's a leak and you can locate it, you'll need to replace the leaking part, using some gauges, hook up a vaccuum to it for about 4 hrs, refill the compressor with oil, and recharge the system...probably about 3 cans will do.

If you take it to a national chain shop or dealer, they will want to replace EVERYTHING...probably cost you a few grand.

9. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Anyone know of an honest and reasonably priced place to fix car A/C in Houston? My A/C just died on me and I suspect it is the compressor.

10. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

You can charge it up yourself. Go to auto zone or any auto parts store and buy some freon. The kit comes with the hose and gauge the charge it up. I would try that first before going to a mechanic. If that doesn't work get one of these
    [​IMG]

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

anything over a grand is too much..in terms of replacing, compressor, drier and orifice tube or expansion valve..thats parts and labor

12. ling ling

ling ling Member

Who told you the compressor is bad? Do you still have freon in the system?

13. Raven

Raven Member

After getting repaired, your AC will never be as cold, either. For me, a dead compressor is a good reason to buy a new vehicle. In Houston, you don't want anything less than a 100% functioning air conditioner.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How can you tell if your compressor is out? My vehicle seems to be blowing out air that isn't that cool.

15. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

you must shyt money and no thats not true about AC not being as cold

16. ling ling

ling ling Member

You can be out of freon and your car won't be blowing out cold air.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

On my old Jetta, the dealer estimated 1500 bucks. I found a used compressor on car-parts.com for less than $100 and got my old mechanic to do it just for labor and supplies which was about $200.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

**** some of you guys paid over a grand to replace a compressor!?!?! Wow.

Anyways, I know my uncle paid $500 once to replace it in his old Toyota Camry and then I paid around $300 once for an old saturn (this was a used compressor so this is the reason for the really low price).

19. Fiah

Fiah Member

Over a thousand to replace the compressor? I just replaced mine it was ~200 for a new compressor and about another hundred in labor from my mechanic. I have a cousin that has his own A/C shop in Houston. PM me and ill get you a hookup.

20. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Well hopefully only one of them is broken. Those caravans have two, one also in the back of the caravan. If it's just the one in your motor You should be looking at maybe 500-650... Maybe 700. And your probably looking at 1000-1300 if both need to be replaced. System needs to be vacumed out, new compressor means you have to re-oil the system, labor is charged for taking out the old and replacing it with the new one(s). Then ac system is recharged with frion.

gotta stay :cool: