1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. thino

thino Contributing Member

agreed.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It states in the article that Luis could be going to NJ if they were to strike a deal with us.

Personally, I would HATE to lose Kyle while he's just hitting his stride and potentially becoming a true all star, but if it would mean gaining another all star PG AND an all star center in Dwight, how could you say no?

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I say no for a few reasons.

Firstly, having a high quality PG is not a rarity in this NBA. Lowry has the 2nd highest PER in the NBA behind Chris Paul this season, and you have at least 15 teams in the league with above quality/very good PGs- Rose, Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Russel Westbrook, Ty Lawson, Jose Calderon, Jarret Jack, Jrue Holiday, Jamir Nelson, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, and John Wall are just a few that come to mind. Even a guy like Rubio in his rookie season is showing lots of potential and skill at the PG spot.

So it doesnt make sense to trade away quality talent like Lowry and Scola for Williams.

Secondly, getting Deron only makes acquiring Howard possible, but not entirely likely. Recent reports have come out saying that Howard added the Clippers to his list of desired destinations, and there's a likelihood that Howard gets traded before the trade deadline which makes the possibility of acquiring him null and void (if we trade for Williams, I dont see how we have the pieces to trade for Howard). Aside from Howard, I've yet to hear of other stars desiring to play alongside Williams, and its difficult to see any appreciable difference his presence has made on the Nets (both last season and this season).

Just my opinion.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes yes, a million times yes.

Great article Clutch, and I appreciate you asking the tough questions that the Chronicle would never ask.

DD

5. pge71188

pge71188 Member

I dont get it either. Lets say we throw Scola+Lowry for Deron. Would Orlando trade us Dwight for Sammy+Bud+Hill/Twill/Ppat and picks?

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The timing of this thread is affecting the results Clutch.
    If you did this preseason, then I'm sure it would be in favor of Williams.

Because Kyle is playing so well.

I kinda of fear this might be a Cassell like trade, where you know this guy you are trading is good, but he might take it to the next level.

Cassell came back to Houston and destroyed Steve Francis.

However, Deron is a big name player and he would certainly attract another star better than Kyle would.

Kyle is the name of John Connor's father.

7. pge71188

pge71188 Member

[​IMG]

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

This is a good idea. We have enough solid role players that any team with Williams and Howard will be very strong.

Suppose we have to get rid of Scola/Martin/PatPat/Lowry + some picks in the deals. That still leaves us with a team of

Williams/Howard/Parsons/Courtney Lee/Dalembert/Marcus Morris/Dragic/Bud.

That is a very solid team, probably better than the Jazz team that beat TMac and Yao.

The Nets would have to trade something like Lopez + Marshon Brooks + picks for Howard, at least. That leaves them with a team of
    Williams/Howard/Kris Humphries/Sundiata Gaines/ and a bunch of other journeymen. I'd take the Houston version 10 times out of 10.

All this very heavily depends on Deron and Dwight liking Houston better than NJ. There's the glitz factor of moving to Brooklyn, but the Nets are actually in a little turmoil now because Prokhorov decided to run for president of Russia. He was the driving force in the franchise's resurrection, and he doesn't have time to promote the Nets anymore. It would not surprise me at all if he decided to suddenly sell his stake, with the resulting uncertainty discouraging Howard from going to their team.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Howard has already given his list of teams he'll play for, chances are dwill would just sign wherever Howard ends up even if we were to trade for him.

Keep Lowry, trade for lotto picks and go from there.

10. Asian Sensation

Your missing the point. If getting Deron makes acquiring Howard Possible we MUST make the deal. As it is right now, it's IMPOSSIBLE to land Howard and entirely unlikely.

The Clippers do not have the pieces to trade for Howard as I assume they plan on keeping CP3 and Griffin. Griffin will be paid the max next year. DeAndre Jordan and whatever filler will not get it done for them.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would only do this if the Rockets worked out the two trades (for DWill and Dwight) simultaneously. I get the sense that Dwight really wants to go to LA, and is playing the other teams in order to help Orlando's bargaining power. He doesn't strike me as someone who really cares about winning - he's more interested in the limelight and big $$$ that comes from big city endorsements.

So in addition to making the trades simultaneous, I'd want Dwight to promise to sign an extension immediately. Otherwise, I know he'll Lebron us.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Funny thing is i sent him this tweet just a few days ago....

BeastMODE916
    @dmorey If Deron Williams is truly on the trade block do everything in ur power to acquire him. Also remember sell high "Lowry". Then..

BeastMODE916
    @dmorey Attempt to acquire a player such as Bosh for Scola, Dalambert, and a 1st round pick. If they want Morris add him as well.
    14 Jan Favorite Reply Delete

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Love Lowry but the mere POSSIBILTY of attracting Howard with Williams is enough to want to do the deal. Not sure about some on the board but the chance to stop being mediocre is enough for me. Time to think big picture and not just in the right now.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seems antithetical to trade Lowry for Willliams (younger and underpaid for older and overpaid) under a Morey framework unless you are very certain that you can land Howard (or somebody else) in a "let's us stars team up" framework.

I don't see how the Rockets are the top bidder for Howard, or anybody else once they've shipped out the pieces to get Williams.

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

You guys need to realize that the Nets aren't going to give up on keeping Deron Williams until after the Dwight Howard fiasco is settled.

The chances of getting both of them really aren't that great.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The problem is NJ and Orlando are still in denial that D-Will, and D12 actually want to stay in their cities.

The only way that they both could come to Houston is if BOTH D-Will and D12 pretty much public say they want to play together in Houston and Houston alone.

Houston, can put a package together for one of those guys, but not both at the same time because both teams will want the same assets and players.

Either way, March is going to be a very interesting month. I would expect the Rockets to actually try and get Howard first and foremost and then hope that can either A. use Howard as the anchor to lure D-Will or another star thats still available or B. Pair Howard with Lowry and other complementary players already on roster.

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

You know the truly sad thing is that Dwight Howard would rather come to Houston with DWill getting paid 19 million than a rockets squad with Lowry getting 6 million. Not only that but in order to attain Dwill we will probably have to give up more than just lowry. If Dwight was smart he would peg Houston as one of his destinations regardless of Dwill.

18. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

I don't think we should get rid of Kyle Lowry. I think he's a great guard and we have him for an absolute bargain. Having the cap-space to sign a max player is important, but we should use it to sign a star at another position of greater need.

As of right now, the only person close to being an all-star on our team is Kyle, and he's only going to get better. We need to move Martin and Scola for younger players so we can rebuild. It's going to be years before we can contend for a championship, unless we can sign Dwight Howard this summer.

I think the key right now is to keep salary low for cap flexibility, and develop younger players to see what they can become. Even though we'll be worse in the short-term, it'll help us in the long term because we'll

A. Likely get a higher lottery pick
    B. Have a better look at some of our younger guys, perhaps increasing their trade value

Perhaps we can swap some of our veteran players for high draft picks that will help us down the line.

19. Prince

Prince Member

not minority but the other side. ;)

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's seeming increasingly likely that Orlando is willing to play it out with Howard. While this may seem stupid, it does at least try and call Howard's bluff - because I believe it will be a financially painful choice for him to leave. Moreover, Orlando has the potential to at least try to compete for a title this year.

If a trade for Williams is:

Lowry, Scola, young guys, pick

Then a trade for Howard would have to be:

Martin, young guys, picks

And, I can easily the Magic saying no thanks, we'll just at least try to win for another half a season and go from there. If you took back Hedo's contract that would help, but then you're acquiring $29 million worth of salary... they'd be hard pressed to find matching salary to send back out.

----

So, in short, it seems like the route is trade for Williams, entice Howard to sign here as a free agent.

Which is fine and dandy, but I just don't trust the likelihood of anyone giving up that much cash in doing so. I can see Dwight just picking up his player option for 1 more season and doing the dance again next year. Which might also mean Deron would do the same.

That is, unless I'm wrong about the amount of cash given up to sign elsewhere as a unrestricted free agent under the new CBA? i recall it being a meaningful difference, though.

1 person likes this.