1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and NBA Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Perfect timing! On my lunch break, will listen now. Thanks Clutch.

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

can't wait aww can't wait to listen to it, thanks

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bima:

How can the Rockets land Howard & Paul?

It will be difficult to land both Paul and Howard, either in FA or sign and trade or cap clearing. It will be a very difficult task. ... Doesn't mean the Rockets can't pull it off but if you add Dwight and Paul's max salary, you're looking at about $39 million. If they took a 10% discount, you're still looking at $35-$36 million in cap room you would need to sign them outright. Short of getting rid of Lin, Asik and others, there is no way. Those who think the Rockets can keep one of Lin or Asik and sign both outright, not gonna happen. At the very least, you have to move Lin and Asik, dump them without taking much, if any, salary. More difficult, the big dogs in FA are the first dominoes to fall. Not much of anything will happen until those two decide. If a team is perhaps willing to take Lin or Asik, they may have other plans that they're factoring in and they want to see what Howard and Paul do before they make a move. The timing will be very, very difficult, even if they find takers. The timing will make it too difficult to get it done in time. S&T will be very difficult. Both LA teams will resist giving away their guys. The Lakers are building everything up to 2014. Adding Lin and Asik will jeopardize that, they have their eyes set on bigger fish and I don't think Lin or Asik are the best fits with the Clippers. Maybe the Clippers play ball but I doubt it.

Going after both, even if unlikely, Lin and Asik both gone?

To pay both to what they'll need, you'll have to move both of those guys out.

How difficult is it to move them?

Asik would be easier than Lin. That's not a slight on Lin. A center as good as Asik, you'll find takers. Another factor, not for every team but some, the way the contracts are structured. They only made 5 million of their contract value. While they're only on the cap for 8.3, over the next two years, they'll be owed 20 million. There is a financial consideration that may dissuade some teams. The biggest factor is timing. This is all going to need to be resolved very quickly. Even if the Rockets can line up takers, it may not be the other teams plan A. In order for that teams plans to play out, there might need to be a waiting game there. I'm trying to set people's expectations somewhere in the realm of reality. It's a possibility and they'll try their damn-est to do it and they might be successful but it's highly unlikely they'll be able to do it.

If they are a package deal, does that help or hurt the Rockets chances?

I think it probably hurts the Rockets chances, in the case they are dead set. The news with the Clippers trying to work deals with the Celtics for Garnett and Rivers causes some concern. If somehow the Clippers are able to deal Jordan for Garnett without giving up Bledsoe, there are rumors the Clippers might offer Bledsoe and Griffin for Howard, which is legal under the cap. If you add Griffin and Bledsoe's salary and do the salary matching calculations, they could trade those two and the Lakers could sign Dwight to pretty much the max salary he could get. The money would be there for Dwight. The Lakers are shouting from the mountain tops they won't do a S&T but if Dwight was ready to walk to the Rockets, and I'm Mitch Kupchak, I have to think long and hard about Bledsoe and Griffin. That's a pretty good haul.

2 people like this.
  5. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

J.R. you are the best.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

'Next week, we might be talking about Tracy McGrady being a NBA champion.'

Nice ending. :p

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Disagree that the timing would be an issue in acquiring CP3

Rockets can be working right now and have deals in place for Asik/Lin yes? Lots of teams have cap space, Asik would be easy to move and Lin has market appeal.

Seems like those trades could happen in very short order the moment CP3 says he wants to sign here.

8. thekad

thekad Member

I think people are overrating the Asik/Lin cap hits in 2014 for the Lakers. Combined they'll make ~$16.6 million and a stretched and waived Nash will put the owed salary to $20 million. With 10 cap holds and the projected cap at $62 million, the Lakers would still have $37 million to spend in free agency and they have a much better chance of landing one/two of the big free agents (Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo) and Kobe with some semblance of a team already in place. I really don't see true stars going to a team with literally no talent on the roster.

The real issue is the luxury tax hit in 2013/14. The Lakers probably would amnesty Pau even if they did resign Dwight. Without Dwight, it's unlikely that they will think it worth paying $80 million in luxury tax for a team that will struggle to make the playoffs again. They might just prefer the tax savings of letting Dwight leave for nothing.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Love the podcasts, although the Clippers seem adamant about keeping Blake Griffin. So I'm not too worried about them stealing Dwight. AWARE, but not concerned.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Milwaukee, Utah, Indiana and Charlotte all strike me as good landing spots for Lin.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The consequence of not getting Howard this offseason is much less bad than it was last season. For that reason alone we have more leverage. I'm fine holding onto our current team with a 1yr upgrade at PF, say Gasol if Howard goes to the Clipps. When LMA or Love come loose we'll be there.

12. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I think love with go back to his home state

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I agree, we miss out on Howard/Paul, we are basically in a holding pattern until Love/LMA/Rondo, the summer after next.

And there are plenty of guys available cheap to make us better in the mean time that wouldn't hinder long term cap room: Granger, Pau, Garnett and other decent pieces: Iggy, Milsap, Smith, etc.

This is going to be such an exciting offseason. I can't wait till July 1st.

14. thekad

thekad Member

It's unlikely but possible might see a four team trade like what landed Turkoglu in Toronto where the Lakers just get a TE and cash and the Rockets get Dwight, while Lin goes to Milwaukee/Utah/etc. and Asik goes to Portland/Charlotte/wherever. The team taking Lin could also get assets from Portland for their trouble. I believe, though Bima could confirm, that this also allows the Rockets to be bound only to the salary matching rules of a trade by a team under the luxury tax (150%) in which case they wouldn't even need to dump White, Smith, or anyone other than Thomas Robinson.

15. basketballholic

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that sees the immense potential of extracting Rondo from Boston.

16. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Awesome podcast guys!

By the way, I was unaware of the rumor that Dwight told Harden and Parsons that he was coming here.

17. jocar

jocar Member

"They both had dinner with Dwight, who said he's coming to Houston"? WOW, if true.

Funny intro about Horry. Who is the 1st guy giving a shoutout to Clutchfans? And the 2nd one is Artest?

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

As I have said before... I think Howard has secretly settled on Houston. I expect him to take his league tour and then sign.

19. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

what teams have trade exceptions?

i googled and only found an expired list from hoops world. "http://www.hoopsworld.com/nine-trade-exceptions-to-expire-if-unused"

trades in order to sign d12 and cp3 as free agents
    1) trob for draft pick(s) and trade exceptions
    2) asik and white for draft pick(s) and trade exceptions
    3) lin for draft pick(s) and trade exceptions

probably top 20 protected or even 2nd round draft picks. still very difficult to do. and highly unlikely rockets get both cp3 and d12

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Good podcast once again. I must say the BimaThug portion of it was highly informative.