1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Officiating in Rockets-Spurs Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 2, 2012.

1. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

When you have no inside game and your scoring is done 90% from outside jumpers, how do you expect to get to the line?

2. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

are you guys blind, lee definitely did not charge look at the defenders right foot
    also the lowry call and dragic no call were pretty bad

you can say we shouldnt have let the refs cost us the game when we had a big lead but that does not matter,
    at the end of the game the officiating was deplorable and really hurt the rockets chances of gaining any kind of rhythm offensively

3. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Sadly that might leave you, me, and like 7 other people.

4. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

I muted the TV at work after Worrell's comments on the charge against Lee. I'm in the minority that feels Bill is just as bad as Clyde (at least he makes me laugh) This is nothing new for Bill either, every close game where the call is against us is some complete travesty to this man.

5. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

My opinion the ref's weren't the reason that 19 point lead dwindled down to 64-60 in the 3rd.

6. cod

cod Member

lee stepped on the guys foot. it's a foul on him.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

No no it is a conspracy against the rockets:rolleyes:

It is a bit sad how fans blame the refs for losses, the only time it really seemed like it was with the Finley out of bound.

Bill is a real homer. Like many commentators, Jim Peterson of Minesota is one of the few commentators who is actually fair.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

One more thing I'd like to add, just got home from the game, towards the end of the game, I think Spurs had the lead already, Parker was going in for a layup, and you can CLEARLY see Duncan pushing/backing/boxing off Patterson or Dalembert out of bounds so they couldn't have blocked the shot but nothing was called...... Also, apparently Duncan can shoot from his hip wildly, miss, and get the foul...... Didn't fail at all throughout the game

It's hard to complain about the refs when we had a 19pt lead, but they didn't help either.

btw, a few fans behind us wanted to complain that Lowry flopped on that near the 3 point attempted shooting foul, the same fans that cheer for Manu........

9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

The Lee one was going to be a charge; he's not a superstar, he was out of control, and Neal had enough time to plant his feet and protect the jewels; even if he was moving, it looked convincing.

The Parker thing is just Tebow laughing at the Rockets; if that play happens 10 seconds later, replay review is triggered and the Rockets get the ball back.

The Splitter "taking a charge when you're in the air in the restricted area and go flying when you have a foot and 50 lbs on the offensive player" was the most egregious one to me, and obviously not much has to be said about the Dragic eye poke. Sean Elliott did everything but get up and wave a towel when they replayed that one on the Spurs feed, saying about how that's great defense by Danny Green, then the PBP guy says that that Dragic deserved to be raked across the eyes for what he did to SA in the playoffs 3 years ago. Then a few plays later Lowry gives a hard foul to DeJuan Blair on a breakaway, and Elliott was clearly getting up momentum to say it was a flagrant, mentioning how Lowry took a shot at Blair and raked him across the eyes, then realized that it was a normal foul and shut up.

It's days like this this when I really miss Yao, just so I could have a Chinese language stream that I couldn't understand. It's a little known fact that after the US was outlawed from playing Britney Spears to torture prisoners at Gitmo, they decided to play continuous loops of Sean Elliott's inconceivably bad announcing. Attempted suicides went up 10 fold.

1 person likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

the worst officitating was in the middle of the 3rd where any rocket who breathed on Tim Duncan got whistled .... It was sickening

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think officiating is a turn off. Not a sole reason but one of many factors. Bad calls, atmosphere not being there, team losing, the lockout, the offseason bad karma from the Stern vetoed trade. After a while you have to pleasing some of these fans in some ways to entice them to the game instead of giving them so many reasons not to go. Certainly the NBA as a league have given Rockets fans in particular a reason not to go on top of the lockout too.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You dont please the fanbase of one of you major cities like Houston? Thats when you can start turning into league like Hockey became after their strike. Certainly these fans do not relate with these new age basketball players as learned during the lockout. The NBA needs its stuff together if Houston is the 29th market in attendence.

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Refs suck balls and thast that. But we cant win because we cant stop other teams scoring. Simple as that. Refs dont have much do it with it.

14. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

It's a turn off but only once you're at the game (or not) A week from now we won't hear a mention about this particular game and the questionable calls. I can't imagine someone having a free night and the ability to go to the game say "naw, remember a few games back when the refs were bad? Lets just stay home" Ours like most fanbases forget real easily.

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The worst of all was Popavich cussing out the refs but not getting a technical or even ejected at the end. Put up a video of that and you'll see what I mean. He was carrying on like a spoiled brat.
    Yes they couldn't see you calling for a time out, but no excuse for that type of behavior.

That said, McHale should've thrown a chair across the court ala coach Knight.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Nobody is out to get the Rockets. They make money. How is beyond me. Kevin Martin, who Sacramento fans never paid to see once he became their scorer, is managing to sell tickets. That's fan loyalty if you ask me.

I would rather not be in the group you and Glen aka "used hair gel" Rice are in.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i-M9TD9vS5g#t=1m0s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i didn't see the game, but woke up and read the box score.....FT disparity 31-13

in hindsight, i'm glad i didn't watch the game (or most any NBA game this season). this league is so obviously rigged even a blind man could tell

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I hate b****ing about officials. I don't blame our recent losses to the Bucks or Wolves on the refs, we plain lost those. Refs totally shifted the momentum, starting when Duncan flailed his arms from the hip with no intention of even actually making the shot 3 straight possessions.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Wallace and AI figured it out, and they're not the smartest guys to play in the league. Flynn sees it, as do most Rockets players. So do the opponents, which is why they travel more, and foul more. They don't make it obvious, but you guys don't see how many travels, and mid air hand check fouls don't get called.

Think about this. If the officials let 3 travels slide for the other team, don't call 2 fouls for a Rockets player, and call 2 charges/flops in favor of the other team, that's easily what you call a 10 point swing. Game 7 of the 2007 playoffs versus Utah really helped me see a lot of the things the officials let slide when I watched the final 8 minutes of the game.

That said, I'm still a fan of the Rockets. I do believe Stern needs to resign. No one can hold a position of power for that long and not be corrupt.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This had to be one of the worst officiated games in recent memory ....

The charge on Lee was a poor call and at a critical time , in the NBA to get a charge call you must be square with the offensive player and stationary - the defender was neither.

How bout Dragic getting smacked in the head .... no call and a fast break for the Spurs. What , no blood no foul ? Playground ball ?

An offensive foul on Lowry when Parker obviously tripped him .... wow , just wow.

And the worst one of all - Blair dropping an elbow on Scola's grill while he's on the ground ..... Jump Ball.

These calls arent the reason the Rockets lost the game .... but they contributed significantly to that result. Their inability to stop Duncan was another big contributing factor.