1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmer Fredette anyone?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DarkHorse, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He can score but can he defend..?

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

reminds me of Jeff Hornacek

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

jodie meeks.

there.

accurate, black, comparison.

all bases covered

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Reminds me of Gerry Mcnamera. I'm not sure he translates to the NBA. But I definitely have my University of Utah goggles on!

But the Hornacek comparison isn't half bad.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

6'2 and non athletic?

pass. Heart and hustle just don't cut it in the NBA unless you're a freak like Chuck Hayes.

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

He's pretty quick with the ball, Stephen Curry-esque. Is "6'2 and non athletic" a code for "6'2 and white"?

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

He probably torched your team lol.

I'm not sure he will be a star in the NBA, but talent is talent. When you can shoot, dribble and change of speed the way he does, you will contribute in the league.

8. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

A young Steve nash/Stephen Curry!? If Jimmer can improve his PG skills, this isnt far-fetched at all. He's got the killer pull-up shot, very good with or without the ball in his hands and can split defenders with the best of them. He's also more physically ready than say a Nash or Curry at his age. Trade AB in a package for a big. Draft this guy.

9. pge71188

pge71188 Member

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This team does not need anymore role players.

We need High Upside athletes with length. We are not a Jimmer away from winning a title. We need impact players. Leave him for a contender.

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Like a short, scoring PG/SG is missing from our roster?

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Born and raised Houstonian here who is currently a senior at BYU.

First I'd like to say that I'm a big Jimmer fan as long as he can keep up this one horse show that our team has going here.

That being said, I honestly don't see his game translating very well to the NBA. He's showing that he can step up in big games and he definitely is making an impact and a name for himself, but worst case is he's just another PG/SG gunner. Towards the end of the game when we were up 10-13 he was still jacking up shots; not much passing at all. There were a lot of NBA scouts at the game, though, especially by Marriott Center standards.

Finally, I stood in line behind him at Cafe Rio last week, and if I hadn't known who he was, nobody could have convinced me that he's one of the top NCAA ball players. :p

1 person likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Was he at least a legit 6'2"?

14. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Adam Morrison v2.0

15. SupermoochieFro

^-Thank you!! Plus he's shorter. A lot of those shots he takes, he won't even be able to get off in the NBA. Morrison had 5- 40pt games, 9-30pt games and ended up with an avg of 28ppg in his last year. Yeah he looked like a stud too! :rolleyes:

16. napalm06

Yeah. I'm 6'0 and I was right next to him.

He continues to surprise me though; his agility and handles are under appreciated. I'm most interested in seeing how he can lead the team down the end stretch of the season and into the tournament.

BYU is expert at 1st or 2nd round flameouts.. mostly because our front-line is usually out muscled and out-rebounded.

17. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

18. napalm06

I wouldn't argue with you, there's no way for me to know what his ceiling is and I'm absolutely not an NBA scout. I just provide anecdotal evidence.

To the guy above who questioned his defense - I have to give BYU's team defense a lot of credit, especially on the perimeter. Jimmer is a cog in that system, at least.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My question is -- if he translates to a point guard, can he run an NBA offense? You know he'll likely struggle defensively, but can he play point at the highest level? Redick was a two and you knew there was a problem there. I haven't watched Fredette enough to know if he could play point.

This is sick, by the way:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9qsPLN6pTPA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9qsPLN6pTPA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>