1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Trading Yao for... Nothing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jan 18, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

3. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

this is going to be a brutally disappointing trade deadline. thanks for posting that.

4. thething

thething Contributing Member

Can you explain to me why a team under the cap would even consider taking Yao?

Wouldn't they have to pay part of Yao's salary? Why do that when you could keep the cap room and pay nothing at all?

5. gah

gah Member

Congrats to jopatmc for the creative thinking. Thanks Clutch and Bima for this, I really hope we do something significant with it.

1 person likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

cut and run.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good stuff, Bima.

This is definitely not my preference but you know how the old adage goes: live to fight another day.

If nothing substantial materializes before February's deadline it's MUCH better for us to make a play for a large trade exception rather than simply keeping him, letting him expire and retaining his Bird Rights. The former positions us much better to make a significant future trade -- especially if the Rockets really do feel they have an inside trade to resigning Yao to a bargain contract, regardless.

1 person likes this.
  8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

If we had that exception last summer, we could have netted Al Jefferson

9. gah

gah Member

We could absorb one or more of their contracts with our existing exceptions. They would do it as a salary dump.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't see why the new CBA would disallow TPE's. Trades don't increase league salary; they just shuffle it around.

The Traded Player Exception is written to cover both simultaneous and non-simultaneous trade. The ability to receive 125% incoming vs outgoing salary is the Traded Player Exception for simultaneous trades; i.e. it's an exception to allow team salary to go up when making trades. That's not going away, because you can't expect teams to actually match salaries perfectly. There must be a little give, and note the last CBA raised it from 115% to 125%.

What they might do is disallow non-simultaneous trades. But again, all this does is make trades more difficult, less incentive.

What is the interest by the owners to make trades more difficult? Is it the union that would benefit from making trades more difficult?

1 person likes this.
  11. srrono

srrono Member

i am all for improving the team any way posible

12. ty185

ty185 Member

rox can pay them cash for the trouble.

or even a future 2nd rounder if it comes to that :)

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Read the section called "How It Would Work" in the article. Assuming the insurance savings number being reported is correct and it would go to the receiving team (and the Rockets throw in cash), they would have Yao's remaining salary covered and possibly make $$ for doing the deal.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a very expensive way of getting a TPE.

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The impatient side of me keeps hearing things like this (which is probably real close to how the actual brass inside the Rockets is thinking), and I can't help but feel as though this waiting game to start landing big fish is going to take forever. I'm so ready for the Rockets to return to an elite or almost-elite status and start doing some damage in the playoffs.

Excellent article Bima. You're very skilled in explaining the complicated rules of the NBA into terms that most of us can understand. +1 win.

16. thething

So we would take on a bad contract in order to get a trade exception? That is a really risky proposition. I wouldn't do it. There is no guarantee that you can get anything valuable from a trade exception. But having a bad contract on the books will hurt next year when we'll have some cap room.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Interesting idea -- i'm sure every possibility is bouncing around right now, but I just don't see the Rockets pulling the trigger on any deal like this. The Rockets have to take into consideration political issues and moving a prodigal son for 'nothing' isn't going to sit well.

18. tested911

tested911 Member

You know it is nice to have a lot of asset's, young talent, and picks available if a team is willing to trade their superstar to us.. But I don't see it happening anytime soon... Especially if the star is in the drivers seat (meaning will he sign an extension).. I'm talking Tier 1 level not 2-3...

Maybe I'm not as optimistic or just a realist but I can't see a scenario where we can scoop up a level 1 talent in the near term (1-3 years).. It's almost as it seems that we have to suck really bad in order to get a talent at that level in the draft..

19. thething

I see. I think Yao's remaining salary after the trade deadline is about 2.3 million, which falls under the 3 million cash limit the Rockets can send in a trade. It's a no risk deal if nothing else materializes. Paying 700k for a huge trade exception could pay off.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think they probably increase salaries. By allowing teams to shuffle contracts more efficiently, they can fill up the soft caps of all teams better and allow the big-spenders to stack up contracts better. If teams were less efficient in trading, they'd have a harder time exceeding the cap, and under the cap teams would have less incentive to fill up their cap. And, teams would probably have to be more cautious about signing deals because the chance of getting rid of an albatross contract is lower. I don't know if teams would be interested in getting rid of it, because it does help them a bit to avoid getting killed by a bad contract, but I'd think it inflates payroll.