1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speculation: Morey's FA target is Josh Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LikeMike, Dec 4, 2012.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

To get this out of the way first. Of course Morey will try to go after Howard and CP3 first. But by all logic they are probably unattainable.

So what`s next? Millsap is pretty popular on this board, because he does everything and he does everything well. Problem is, he does nothing exceptionally well and is a bit undersized (although he doesn`t play undersized). I can totally see him being a target, but only if he comes at a bargain.

But there really is only one player left in FA that you might consider a star - and that actually seems to be attainable: Josh Smith.

Negatives

His negatives are well known and well documented - and the biggest one is sitting on his shoulders. He doesn`t have the best BB-IQ and tends to take lots of bad shots. He isn`t a good 3pt shooter (only 28% for his career) and hasn`t the most refined post game as well. In rebounding he relies too much on his athleticism and not enough on boxing out.

Positives

Now to his positives - and those have to start with his defense. Over his career his averaging more than 2 blocks per game (2.3 right now) and 1.3 steals. He can defend 3s, 4s and most 5s, is a great weak side shot blocker and helps to protect the paint. He is agile and athletic enough to score on most defenders - so he is someone you want to run plays and isos for. And he is a pretty good and willing passer. Oh and his 3pt shot is actually at least decent this year (35%) - maybe he can improve here enough to at least hit his open shots.

Conclusion

Now I am not saying that we should sign him - and I am not saying he would make us a contender. But he seems to be a Morey-like gamble. A good coach would need to work with him on his shot selection, his post moves and his rebound technique - IF he can improve in those areas, he is at the very least a legitmate all star. He is still pretty young (27 years old tomorrow), almost a year younger than Millsap - so I don`t think that this improvement is out of the question. But another big question that remains: how will his body hold up. He hasn`t had a real injury in his whole career - but a lot of his game is based on athleticism, and he`ll probably need to adjust here in the next couple of years.

But if you look at our team right now, the biggest problem is defense and a legitimate low post option. Smith brings both to our team, and a little star appeal as well, that might help to get other players. If the gamble pays off, we might have most parts for a championship team already in place - and several nice trade chips. If it doesn`t we might be buried in mediocricy for the length of his contract. Like I said, it`s a gamble - but one that seems to be a gamble Morey likes to take.

2. izeroi

izeroi Member

If he can be had for a good price then I'd take him but I'm sure some team is going to throw more at him than what he is worth. I think the route we should go is through trading (if we can't sign CP3 or Howard). A guy like Smith isn't going to make us a contender and outside of him and the other two I mentioned this years free agency is pretty bare.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Another one of these?

He'd be a pretty good fit if he can be convinced to stop taking crappy jump shots. I'd still rather have Millsap though.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can't wait for Josh Smith to sign his next contract....somewhere other than Houston.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't see it. Maybe as a 3rd piece, but not a 2nd. He's not a franchise player, but someone will pay him like one. Hopefully not us.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I know he's a terrible shooter who thinks he's a great shooter, but he's shooting 47% from FT? And only 44% from the field? That's bad even for him.

I'd take him for $8 million/year for 2 years. Any more money or years than that and I want no part.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

let's say $8.4 mil per year ...can't stand the thought of Jeremy Lin making more than Josh Smith :)

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Smith will probably demand somewhere between 12 millions and the max - and there usually is a team that is offering the max for a guy like him. I think 12 mill would be fair.

On defense he'd be a perfect pairing with Asik (great weak side shot blocker and paint protector) on offense he is a legitimate low post threat. A great 3d piece and maybe a decent second piece...

His FTs are down this year, as are his rebounds (7.6) - give him some more games and his FTs will probably be around 65% and his rebounds up to about 8.5-9 per game.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We need a post player.

10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Biased views in here. Anyways he is the best pf in the east and his defense alone makes him worth a look. Paul won't be here because lin is untradeable due to poison pill contract and Howard will not leave laker land to come to Houston . Milsap is a below the rim player and we don't need anymore of those. I say offer him 12 mill a season for 3 years and let him decide. Trade Patterson and white for a quality backup PG while signing some legit 3 pt threats

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect Morey to offer the moon minus Harden for an elite player on a decent contract at trade deadline. Rockets would then offer max to someone like Smith or better to be the third guy.

12. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Smith = headcase

No thanks.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't like his offense and face. Someone will overpay for him.

14. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I don't understand, how is trading White even an option?

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. You're on a roll here. Care to try for the rare quadruple yes?

*buzzer sounds*

Oooo no I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was near max. Near max.

1 person likes this.
  16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Once you get used to his highlight dunks, you'll suddenly realize you don't want him anymore. It starts with getting annoyed with missing wide open jumpers and lack of post offense. Not to mention his career 66% FT shooting.. 47% this season. Yuck.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Screw Smith. Any way we can get Horford?

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Im sorry but the speculation threads are getting old.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I speculate that jimmyv281 is getting tired of speculation threads.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Smith isn't that good of a one on one defender like Patrick, he's more of a weak side shot blocker. His offense is only effective in fast pace when the defense isn't set yet. He doesn't have a reliable offensive game that the Rockets need. Right now, the Rockets have Patterson who is more than capable of playing good one on one defensively and he is slowly improving.

I know at the beginning of the season, I was incredibly frustrated with Patrick for his soft play. But lately, he had gotten much more aggressive and is playing great. Josh Smith is more of a highlight reel than a legit star. The Rockets need a strong PF that can play good one on one defense as well as a reliable offense. Josh isn't that reliable on offense and he doesn't have a post game. I think there are plenty of PF out there that are better than Smith that the Rockets can get if they are just patience.

Yes the Rockets need another player and a great PF is a must get. But if they just rush into it, they will make a mistake. There are plenty of good effective PFs out there so the Rockets just need to be patience. The Rockets were desperate for a star last year but thank god they were patience enough and able to land Harden. Good things come when you have patience. But when you're panicking and rushing, guys like Amare happens.