1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gortat disgruntled

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://gothicginobili.com/?p=5142

Complains about a lack of touches, still working on chemistry with Dragic and Scola being first option in the post. Refused extension and wants to be traded.

I think the extension part might just be a business decision as there is a limit on how much it can be IIRC and he can get more as a FA.

Would Morey be interested? Asik is a far better defender but Gortat's game has more polish.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd rather have Asik starting at this point. If Gortat complains about touches then he won't like being a sixth man here. If he had quickness to defend the 4 then maybe an Asik/Gortat front court could be great but I don't think so.

3. roksoer

roksoer Member

HEYOO

2 people like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lakers will send an attractive package to PHX for him including Jodie Meeks and rights to Luke Walton.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Probably not, but I'm sure the Rockets would love to facilitate a deal. :)

Lots of teams could use a true center like Gortat. Not sure if the Suns would really entertain trading him though.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't think so. why waste healthy players in a trade. don't they have someone on IR with chronic injury instead?

7. Nook

Nook Member

Close but Meeks is off limit.

However I am sure the Lakers will send the rights to Orland Woolridge for Gortat.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

The problem with giving Gortat more touches is he can't be relied on. He's borderline Dalmbert-esque in that department.

Scola seems to be an one year stop gap and I think he'll be traded next year when he's eligible and Gortat was trade bait anyway. The Suns are rebuilding.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Lin and Asik for Dragic and Gortat. We could throw in Patterson as a bonus.

#9 Rip Van Rocket, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Nook

Nook Member

The Lin hatred is really getting out of control. He is defended well, passed very well, rebounded above average and is getting a lot of steals. He doesn't even really make very much money. His shooting will come around and then you are looking at an above average starting point guard.

Lin isn't the reason the Rockets suck... they suck because they want to suck.

11. Rip Van Rocket

I don't hate Lin, I like Lin. It's just that I'm really high on Dragic, and I've always liked Gortat. Everything doesn't always have to be about Lin.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Fair enough, not really picking on you.... just seems that half the threads are about Lin, whom was never going to be our best player and really is not deserving of the extreme love and hatred the guy gets on these boards.

I like Dragic more than Lin, but that is not the player Le$ wanted, and honestly, he will not put us over the top...

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dalembert was a player Les wanted and he definately did not put the Rockets over the top.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gortat doesnt like playing with Dragic.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dalembert was key to the Rockets pulling off the Harden trade.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think he has beef with Scola. Scola's taken over his role as the main guy on offense in the frontcourt and they're constantly having "animated" discussions during timeouts.

17. tomato

tomato Member

Gortat is annoying

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I didn't notice him saying anything about wanting a trade.

He says a lot of dumb things though. He should keep it inside the organization.
    It reminds me of Jasikevicius in Indiana. He'd get frustrated and go vent to the Lithuanian press -- maybe he was hoping English speakers wouldn't hear about it, i don't know.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Gortat has two years left on his contract at about $7.2 and $7.7M remaining. The CBA limits him to an absolute maximum extension of 2-years, $17.22M on top of the 2 season he has left. As a productive big-man, he'd get a lot more on the open market, and since he'll be 30 when his contract ends, it will most likely be the last time he has a chance to get a huge deal in his career.

Since the Suns are under the salary cap this year by about $7M, they could actually renegotiate his salary upwards first, then offer him an extension off of that new number; in this manner, they could technically offer him anything up to the 0-6 year maximum contract over the next 4 years. Going this route would cost the Suns cap room in 2014, when they're poised to have even more space than the Rockets.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58

What does Gortat's place of origin have to do with his talent? Do the people of Poland automatically have better hands and are less foul-prone? ;)

20. Rip Van Rocket

I agree 100%. Gortat and Scola are both low post players and Scola is getting most of the shots. We all know that when Scola gets the ball he's going to be looking to shoot, not pass to the Center. That's why Gortat would be a good fit with the Rockets, We really have no low post players. Gortat is not a great low post player, but he would be an upgrade over anything we currently have. I'm a fan of what Asik is doing, but gortat would be an upgrade on the offensive end.