1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Harden's Debut Means Party Just Getting Started in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Beard me.

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Great, now I want a twix bar. :(

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Things are a changin' in Houston, TX. Wish I could witness it live on my television every night they play.

1 person likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You think this slot is available for an elite forward?

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as a longtime fan as well, i have to admit i have not been so excited about the rockets in several years. and even as just a fan of basketball in general, harden is an exciting and intriguing prospect. his skill level, bball IQ, and overflowing confidence are scary. to my eyes it almost looks like when tmac left vince. with his playmaking ability, harden really could eventually end up being better than durant.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice article, and i agree about the excitement. also think the chemistry between Lin, Parsons, and Harden will (continue to) be something to watch.

still wondering about the decision to waive Livingston, when it's so obvious the team needs someone in that role, and he seemed like a good fit.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Morey's approach should be what the NBA is about, winning and smart management. Not mindless tanking and perpetual lottery.

If the NBA were to ever change their lottery system to discourage tanking, Morey would be way ahead of everyone else.

I really do hope Moreyball works out (it's incomplete at the moment), would really set a new benchmark to good management.

1 person likes this.
  10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Last night made me forget all about that Toronto pick.

Wow.

Good job as always, Clutch.

11. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I like how you tied in the previous teams and their reasons for not keeping the players we have. There will be a lot of finger pointing around the league if we struck gold with this group. :grin:

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We can definitely use another veteran ball-handler, but I assume it had something to do with clearing cap space and adding "roster flexibility". I'm sure Carl Herrera or BimaThug can provide a more detailed explanation.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Free TJ!

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

2.5 Mil in additional cap space this year. Waiving Douglas instead would have cost the Rockets much more in cap space. It might cost the Rockets a win or two this year if Douglas cant give Lin a 15 minute break every night, but that extra cap space could be the breaking point in aquiring another key piece in a deadline deal. Those 2 or 3 additional losses they might accrue by having a lesser PG this season could end up being a great tradeoff if the Rockets are able to make another major splash at the deadline.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I was on the tanking bandwagon, but that was so they could get a high draft pick and draft a potential superstar. They were able to bypass that step and avoid a 20-30 win season thanks to the Harden acquisition. Granted, they did give up some draft picks, so they're left with fewer tradeable assets, but now they have a budding superstar to build around.

Now they can make a run at the playoffs and try to add to the team through additional trades and free agent signings. I don't know who'll be available at the trade deadline or in the upcoming offseason, but who ever expected James Harden to fall into our laps?

16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hallelujah!

17. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Lin Harden the terrorism of amazing basketball...

18. rocketblood713

Who wouldnt want to come play with that beard !

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The NBA has done its best to discourage tanking compared to other sports where worst team gets the #1 pick

I would probably go further and decrease the odds of the worst team and giving better odds (but not nearly as good of course) to the better non playoff teams and making the entire order be done by lottery instead of the first 3 picks.

20. zman2002

zman2002 Member