1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Playbook: Examining Jeremy Lin's favorite set

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Nice contribution. I always enjoy your writting.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks. The word is that James Harden also loves to use the backside pick and roll in his personal life.

1 person likes this.
  4. scottie brooks

Very Informative. Thanks! I will be looking for this play during the next Rockets game.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

So we have a set play....

1 person likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thanks for putting this together.

7. bmd

bmd Member

But jtr told me they don't run any plays?

8. gluu

gluu New Member

HMMMHMM, I love your analysis. I was wondering if you could break down the difference in defensive ability between Jeremy Lin and Patrick Beverley as well? It's hard for me to tell the difference other than looking at the box score.

9. HMMMHMM

Thanks guys.

Again, the Rockets do have various set plays. They just don't make use of them very often.

This particular play for example they might go to 2-3 times one game, then only once for 4-5 games in a row and then not all for another 4-5 games.

Ha, thanks, but my writing is pretty bad to be honest. Clutch was kind enough to once again help me out in that regard. :)

I hate to turn you down, but I wouldn't want to half-ass a project like this and doing it right would be way too time-consuming. Sorry.

#9 HMMMHMM, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Every metric I have seen ranks hand offs right up there with at the rim shots as far as PPP.

11. FeaR

FeaR Member

Great work, I watch all your videos(Rockets or not)

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Please read up on the R&R offense. The Rockets don't run set plays except in situations like in bound passes. However that certainly does not mean that what develops out of the R&R cannot be categorized as a play.

13. bmd

bmd Member

We've been over this. The R&R offense by Rick Torbett is not what the Rockets run. Stop saying it is.

Have you ever read about Torbett's R&R offense? I find it hard to believe you could read what it's about and somehow think that is what the Rockets are doing. It's so far off that there is no way you could get confused about it. It's baffling that you keep mentioning it.

And the set that Jeremy Lin was talking about is a play. It's been practiced. It's been run many times. They have many options out of the set depending on how the defense plays it.

14. HMMMHMM

This is false. The Rockets do run various set plays, including this one, that have nothing to do with their read and react offense.

Also, as bmd and others (including myself) have told you before, the Rockets read and react offense has nothing to do with what you like to refer as "the R&R" aka "The Read and React Offense" by Rick Torbett of BetterBasketball.com. It doesn't. Please stop trying to make people believe this.

15. afk

afk Member

I miss Patterson. :(

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There are many offenses that can be grouped under the umbrella of R&R. The Triangle, Alderman's offense, even the Princeton offense. Torbett attempted to unite the whole field, perhaps unsuccessfully.

And what is a set play? Doesn't it have to be planned? Called? Or do just what we as fans call plays develop naturally out of the R&R? I do not see the PG or McHale calling plays before they happen. An out of bounds play can be called in the NBA. Everything else is just react correctly to what the defense is offering you.

I honestly cannot fathom where you two are coming from. Perhaps it is my own limitations.

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

haha, you don't need an analysis for that. It basically comes down to

Bev = good defender
    Lin = below average defender

18. HMMMHMM

I can't tell from my TV how often McHale is calling plays, but the Rockets' players do call and/or signal plays, yes.

I don't track the various playcalls/signals, since they're of little use to me, however I did take a few snapshot of some easy to make out signals when breaking down a few other Rockets sets some time ago.

This, for example, is "Elbow", which is the Rockets play-call for flex action out of Horns, which has been in their playbook for at least a year.

[​IMG]

And this is "Horns", which is their play-call for pick&roll out of Horns:

[​IMG]

... which may be set the Rockets most commonly make use of.

2 people like this.
  19. hollywoodMarine

I thought it's been established in the RAPM thread that Lin contributes positively on defense? It's his issues meshing well with the starters (esp. Harden) offensively that is most problematic.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And ... silence. Have I put this issue to bed? Most probably not. But IMHO a "set" play has to be called, the whole team has to be on board, and with a single purpose in mind. Isn't that the definition of a "set play"? In the middle of a possession do you see the Rockets redirecting players to different positions? Certainly. The example that sticks in my mind is of Harden motioning a teammate to get out of my driving path. Get to the weak side. But does that indicate that the Rockets have an offensive purpose in mind other than just clearing out defenders? Where actually is a play called? Is he going to drive to the rim or put up a three point shot behind a screen? Or just reset and pass off to a teammate? I seriously doubt in that situation that even Harden knows. It is just what the defense offers. Isn't that the definition of the R&R?