1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on the Beastie Boys

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HorryForThree, May 4, 2012.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I was going to post this in the already existing thread about Adam Yauch's recent passing, but given its potential to incite debate, I thought it more appropriate to post in D&D.

Having grown up (like many here) listening to hip hop, the Beastie Boys played a central role in my hip hop repertoire. There's lots that can be said about them as a group, and Adam Yauch in particular, but one of the things that I really admired about him was the manner in which he was able to use his platform as an artist to advocate for causes he really believed in.

Beyond being a practicing Buddhist, he was a strong advocate for Tibetan freedom, helping to establish the Milarepa Fund which raises awareness for Tibetan Independence. A spokesman for the Dalai Lama said about him:

A moment that will always stick out to me was Adam Yauch's acceptance speech in 1998 at the VMAS, when they received the Video Vanguard award. During it, he spoke about racialized attitudes in the US, and the need to resolve conflicts globally through peaceful means, particular with the Middle East and Muslim world. You can view the speech here (see the 6 minute mark onwards):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AZfiKTHairw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(if it doesnt embed properly, you can see it at this link)

Today, most celebrity figures are decidedly one-dimensional, and contribute little to society beyond senseless tabloid news and twitter notes. In any case, Adam Yauch will certainly be missed for those of us who value artists who transcend their profession and positively affect society.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Did he though?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm with Commodore. I don't get this. I was a college radio DJ when Beasties hit it, and I have many friends from that radio station and beyond who today are sad. I don't think any of us thought or think your last sentence is what Adam Yauch meant or did.

Did you put this in D&D just to make an argument on his death.

The rest of your post I liked. But why the argument?

4. amaru

amaru Member

Not a fan.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I literally have never had a thought about The Beastie Boys that I can remember. Not trying to troll or anything... They were just after my time.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They seemed like ok dudes.
    I was not a big fan of their music

He seemed to care but honestly I did not know that much about his Tibet project
    and . . . I am not overly educated about the Tibet situation.
    So not sure I want to comment.

As far as speaking out for their causes
    I will say some artist are more vocal . . other do theirs behind the scenes
    We are not privy to everything they do . . .nor should we

He had a belief. He worked for his cause.
    I can celebrate that.
    But
    I am not sure it should be use as a standard to compare others to.

Why must we put someone down . . .to lift someone else up?

MCA stood on his own merits. . . . let him stand now.

Rocket River

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

One of the best and most influential hip hop/rap acts of all time, who then went on to release shockingly good instrumental albums. Fought for their right to party and did it with a wiffle ball bat.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Top 2 Jewish rap group ever.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Easily one of the best rappers of all time.

I don't listen to musicians' opinions on anything else, just their music

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I never liked their music very much. But he seemed like a good person.

11. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

:confused:

:)

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

:rolleyes: Troll.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I somewhat agree with Bigtexxx on this as I don't really judge musicians based on their other opinions. I liked the Beastie Boys as a teen and I admire Adam Yauch's work on the Tibet cause but I didn't judge his music on his activism or vice versa.

Its always good to see famous artist do something positive with their fame but I don't think its a requirement.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

My process is that I give artists a chance by trying to listen to their music a few times. Never really found beastie boys interesting except 2 or 3 songs. But when I hear about stuff like this, it always makes me go back and listen to it again.

Reason being, IMO all music is beautiful to the composer, so the closer you can get to seeing/hearing it their way, the closer you are to appreciating it the way they do. Knowing things like this about people gives me a better understanding of who they are and therefore how they see things.

14. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Was never a fan but always respected what they did for music. RIP.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I always thought it was interesting that they made their mark with License to Ill which had a Large following with rap fans of all races...but their subsequent albums were heavily bought and adored by white alternative & punk kids and not the usual hip hop audience. To this day many of those people will tell you that their best album was their worst selling album - Pauls Boutique.

I really commend them for denouncing their earlier misogynistic attitudes and going so far as even performing their older songs with less offensive lyrics..showed true maturity as people.

I liked their music..honestly, but I didn't think it was the holy grail of rap like many of their fans would like to think it is.

Rest in peach Adam..though I disagree with your politics, I commend the way you for stuck up for your beliefs with rallys, benefit concerts ect... Instead of just talking and mouthing off, you actually did the work and made yourself a good example - and actions speak louder than words my friend.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

[​IMG]

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love The Beastie Boys but I find people have a double standard when it comes to Celebrities and Causes.

MCA is awesome for helping Tibetans!

U2 are obnoxious for talking about Africa.

I'll give props to any celebrity that puts their money where their mouth is. I could be a fantastic artist or Justin Bieber.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Oh no you (BURP) dint juss say dat...."

:grin: