1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Talk 790] Daryl Morey Interviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he'll be doing weekly interviews on Thursdays. Usually its with the morning guys, but yesterday (11-27-12) it was with Lance and Charlie.

Its about 11 minutes (~ 1:00 - 12:00), and some interesting topics were discussed.

<iframe width="658" height="371" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=22662353&osu=null&startButtonColor=0xffffff" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

• Evaluation of First Month: Solid offense, Half-Court D, Transition D Needs to Improve
    • About Team Turnover from last season to this season
    • Measuring Jeremy Lin's burst
    • Royce White Update
    • Importance of D-League, Greg Smith's Development
    • Evolution of the PF position

Previous weeks:

(11-1-12) http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=228259

(11-8-12) http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=228843

(11-15-12) http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=229371

#1 durvasa, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. sidestep

sidestep Member

Referring to the new camera tracking equipment, Morey says "Lin is the highest accelerating player we've measured." He is referring to all players measured so far in the last few years, and includes Lin from last year. As for now, Morey said his acceleration is still there with the injury, but his deceleration is not. Referring to the stop-in-a-dime moves.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Respect for Rudy T. The man that understood spacing better than any coach and pioneered the use of the 3 point as a main part of the offense.

I don't think Rudy gets as much respect as he deserves. His offenses made the NBA change their rules.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

thanks for this, durvasa

Daryl is always an informative interview. Great perspective on the team

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Daryl Morey:
    "Players get better by playing".........Classic!!!:grin:

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Recap? Thanks.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

790 is knocking it out of the park with Rockets coverage. Refreshing to have Charlie telling it like it is on the pre-game show, then MJ doing the Rockets Rap.

Now to go take a nice long 610.

1 person likes this.
  8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That's what I'm going to call
    it from now on!
    ...........:grin:

9. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

11/29/2012

Daryl Morey says " We will keep pace just to squeak in to the playoffs this year"

IMO its sounds like he already have a COP-OUT waiting if we do not make it in....so I called 790 just a couple of minutes ago to voice my displeasure...cause its only been 15 games and Morey is already saying "we just going to keep pace". Its like he has a cop-out every year. Starting to get old!!!

Yes we have cap space in the off season, yea we are a young team but its only been 15 games this year so that statement kinda rubbed me the wrong way!!!

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Nobody else with a squad full of 23yr olds are even talking playoffs. All the experts expect 30-35 (maybe some 38). He's talking big enough without putting undue pressure on the team.

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The other one from another interview ... the corner 3pt shot is high efficiency because it is a shorter 3pt shot!!!

12. seyton

seyton Member

Impatient fans like you are why so many teams are always bad.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's being realistic. Last couple years, we just missed. We again look like a bubble team that will either just squeak in or miss it by a few games. At least our roster hasn't stagnated. Nothing worse than having the same low expectations for the same group of guys year after year.

14. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

please don't insult...I have a reason to be critical...i paid for season tickets...its been 6 years...and its always wait to next year...like i said I know we are the youngest team...but its only been 15 games so I just need the GM to be more optimistic in the way he talks

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

GM optimism on radio shows in November is determinative of eventual team standing in April.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we are rebuilding though man. self delusion works sometimes, but why should the GM play along? I like the fact that Morey often tells it like it is. I'm glad that he has a realistic understanding of where the team is at, and knows exactly what we need to do to get to the next level. I don't need him to blow sunshine up my ass. I need him to take concrete steps towards becoming a contender, and that's exactly what we did this offseason by finally filling our void at center, post-Yao, and finally aquiring a star player to build around in Harden. The development of our youth and watching the team's progression from the beginning to the end of the year are the criteria i want to use in determining whether or not this season is a success. The overall record, and/or making the playoffs are of less concern to me given that we are rebuilding. Next year i'll probably feel differently, especially if we've made additional moves and taken more steps towards contention. But losing Lowry, Scola, Dragic, Lee, Camby, and Martin, it is wishful thinking to assume we'd be anything better than a 500 team at the end of the year. In fact, if we are 500 at the end of the year, that in itself will have been an impressive achievement.

#16 Aruba77, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  17. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

So let me throw a hypthetical ya'll way....

If and its a big IF since we are about to hit a rough road of teams to play...but if we go 8-2 in the next ten games which will make us 15-10 and we are in 4th place in the West. Will his stance be the same or will he be more optimistic about the team being higher up in the standings???

Like I said it seems like he already have a cop out waiting...when he stated in several interviews at the start of the season that the goal was to make the playoffs...not to just squeak into the playoffs cause we gonna be right back into the same 9 -11 hole.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rudy made them change the rules twice. One time it was with hakeem back it in, and the 2nd time it was the steve and cat iso show.

19. torocan

torocan Member

I don't consider it a cop out. Morey is being realistic in his expectations and trying to keep fan expectations realistic. Even if he's underselling the team, that is NOT a bad thing. I would prefer a GM undersell and overperform than oversell and underperform.

It would be great if we end up 15 and 10, but even then it's a LONG season in a tough conference, in an even tougher division.

We're young, we're rebuilding, and we lack significant depth. If Any of our primary 4 get injured (Asik, Parsons, Lin or Harden), we can pretty much kiss a ton of wins good-bye. It would take not only a combination of performing above expectation (even the most optimistic analysts put us as a bubble team), but luck to snag a playoff spot, let alone a see above 7 or 8.

Considering the roster turnover, youth and inexperience, that we're even TALKING about a potential playoff spot at this point in the season is pretty darn amazing.

Look at how many teams are in rebuilding modes? Now look at how many of them are legitimately in the run for a playoff spot?

It's a pretty darn short list and NONE of them are as young or inexperienced as this team.

Given the number of times that GM's and Coaches blow smoke up the fanbase's asses talking about playoff runs and championships as goals, I'm glad that Morey isn't one of them. At least when Morey says we're in the running for a playoff spot my first instinct isn't to scream that he's full of *****.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Morey's realistic and straightforward approach is his greatest strength and his greatest weakness.

He is being honest with you and telling you the truth. We all know this team is a borderline playoff team right now.

If you come out and say this team is a championship contender, then people are going to think he is an idiot.