1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The trade that got away: Tyson Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

We might be contenders if we got Chandler.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Man, that's depressing.. You're right Clutch, Chandler on this team would make us an instant playoff team.

Just curious though, who would we have given up?

4. eugeniu

eugeniu Member

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Interesting the Chandler mentioned "Chuck is scoring some baskets".

I guess the word is out that you have to cover Hayes now.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

meh, i view this differently. Yes, i would have liked the trade to go down, but players like chandler have a way of playing up or down to the quality of team they are on.

while i agree it would have changed our current season standings, i'm not sure how much difference it would make long-term and i'm not sold that it would have made much more than a +5-6 wins this year.

1 person likes this.
  7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Jared Jeffries. Probably a draft pick in there somewhere that wasn't reported, but Jared Jeffries.

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Oh ok thanks. Jared Jeffries and a pick for Chandler??? You do that in a heartbeat!!

9. Mr Chuck Norris

And we could have had Amare Stoudimre last year too....

Man

Chandler
    Amare
    ???
    Martin
    Brooks/Lowry

sigh......

10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

No doubt he is exactly what we need and the one that got away.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Cuban and crew make and close big deals and Morey and crew cant. I cant put it any easier than that. Keep the p.r. machine rolling though.

1 person likes this.
  12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

JJ and a pick? Wow, it's too bad we weren't able to cash in on that. Not only would that make us a much better team (assuming Chandler could stay healthy on the Rockets), but it would make the games that much more exciting. Seeing C-Lee throw one down every few games is nice, but I can imagine seeing Chandler throw down 2-3 nearly every game! Ahh, I suppose we can dream....

Pugs

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

That was just painful to read

14. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

and now i am more depressed than before.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I've been thinking a lot about not landing Chandler lately. The Rockets would not be scrambling for a deal to land a center and this team would have far fewer question marks. Frustrating.

Chandler probably gets a decent deal next year, but with who? Extend in Dallas? Does the Haywood contract hurt their chances?

Is Chandler still on the Rockets radar next year? Kind of hope so depending on what he'll command.

16. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

This season just gets better... :(

I know he will most likely be retained by Dallas, but he is a free agent this season, correct? Maybe we can throw enough money to make him change his mind.

17. opticon

opticon Member

Tyson did not opt out of his deal like many thought he would. If my memory serves me correctly he is a free agent next year. If his health holds up we should go after him hard in the off season.

Something has to give in Dallas either they are going to unload Haywood or Let Chandler walk at the end of the year.

My only fear is he is going to want Scola money at least. Morey never over pays unless his hand is forced by restricted free agency.

I wonder if Morey is going to have the stones to over pay in order to fill a area of need.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was concerned about Tyson's health,but I get the filling that the Rockets failed to do their homework.
    He is really shining in Dallas.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Disagree, Dallas wanted Martin badly and obviously lost out.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Too bad they couldn't close on Martin, who they have been after since forever.

You can do all the work and have all the closing ability in the world, circumstances still have a factor in dictating the end result though. Just because this one deal fell through the cracks, like many do(trade for 4th pick), it doesn't mean Morey Co. is any less of a closer than Cuban(Scola, Lowry, Martin etc).