1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Yao Won't Opt Out of Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Melechesh, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/08/morey-yao-wont-opt-out-of-contract/

2. rockets119

rockets119 Member

i hope we don't offer him the max in his next contract
    oh boy...

3. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Hopefully everything goes according to plan.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this should somewhat squash those Yao and LeBron hooking up in Cleveland rumors.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Let's hope his feet don't opt out from his body as well. :p

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I have no doubt he's loyal, but opting in has nothibg to do with loyalty, just economic good sense. Why give up all tha money to enter free agency injured?

Carlos Boozer opted in, too, and is he "very loyal"? :)

7. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

lol true.

but i dont think the j*zz are complaining now.. look at the numbers he is putting up now.

8. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Carlos Boozer had a history, and he turned down an offer from Cleveland years ago and headed to Utah for a better career.So that's why he wanna opt out, every critic targets him as 'not loyal'

Loyalty has nothing to do with whether you decide to opt in or out.

At least after Yao landed in NBA, he only plays for one team for now, not sure what it's going to pan out in the future. Like Daryl said Yao won't opt out of contract ? maybe, maybe not, he's pretty done with his foot injured so many times and can't probably be able to do exactly what he's capable of doing in his prime.

9. ahbuchen

ahbuchen Member

10. battousai

battousai Member

That just means Lebron is coming to houston, :eek: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

11. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Brian Cook also opted in his contract. Is he loyal? :p

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yao is "very loyal". Ha ha ha, hee hee hee. As Carl Herrera indicates, for $18 million, on a reconstructed foot, I'd be loyal, too.

13. 1individual

1individual Member

I think the only free agent that can work well with Yao is Wade. No one else. Lebron needs space in the post to be efficient. Bosh and Yao just don't click in my mind.

14. Francis 4 ever

Wade might work best with Yao. But Lebron could work well with 2 kids in wheel chairs, brian cook, and adam morrison

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I disagree, I think a two towers mold would be outstanding. You would always have a defensive mismatch and would wrack up fouls on opposing bigmen VERY quickly.

I don't think Wade would be any more or less effective than McGrady has been, pre last year. If there was a difference, to me it would be because of the increased talent outside of the SG/C.

16. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

Even if he wasn't hurt I still think he would stay.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, THAT pretty much forecloses any realistic opportunity for the Rockets to add a major free agent while keeping this core together. Without the prospect of Yao opting out and then re-signing long term for a steep pay cut in 2010 (which I have always held was highly unlikely), I don't see any other way that the Rockets can add a star VIA FREE AGENCY. Maybe a very good player, but then they'd have to dump Scola, Lowry and Hayes. Perhaps Morey will be able to work a sign and trade. But this may put an end to the speculation of adding a mega free agent this summer.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Perhaps Morey gifted Toronto Pops in order to give himself an advantage if sign and trade opportunities present themselves.

@Bima, if we are limited to S&T scenarios, how do our of own free agents factor into that. Suppose Luis signs an offer sheet for the MLE with someone and we macth, can he then be moved. IE can both sides sign players then immediatley trade or only one side can and the other has to move pieces on the books?

19. worzel gummidge

Maybe that's why there's been an emphasis on a major trade this season?

If the Rockets can get their hands on Mobley's $9.5M insured contract... My guesstimate of the pro-rated amount is $2.5M at the trade deadline with 80% insurance already deducted.

In the past to acquire a late 1st rounder it has cost teams $3M + asset/s &/or taking on contract/s.

OKC are under the salary cap by $9.3M.

Mobley + $3M + 1st rounder = $500k profit + 1st rounder for OKC

Teams like the Wizards, Spurs, etc... ie teams around $10M over the tax have a chance to get under with Mobley's contract. Provided they can get OKC to play along.

Those McGrady to the Knicks rumors not so far-fetched?

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Yao's personality is indeed a loyal one that much has been proven. While the man gives constantly to his home country first, he has shown a lot of love for Houston and the Rockets organization.

No way would he opt out, unless the Rockets did something to personally offend him or China, which they haven't. As for whether him opting in can be considered loyal or not, compared to certain players like Boozer, where the Jazz Front Office kind of wanted him gone, Yao situation is different. The Rockets still want Yao and to see if he can integrate into the group of talented players they have installed here again. Heck, I'm sure Yao would like that as well, since this group has enough pieces that he no longer has to be on the court for the entire game in order to give the team a chance to win.