1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks taking trade offers for forward Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anthony1604, Feb 8, 2013.

1. anthony1604

anthony1604 Member

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/02/08/josh-smith-trade-offers/

any chance Morey pulls the gun and goes after him???

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll take a one-year rental experiment.

Morris, Patterson, Aldrich and thats it

3. 713

713 Member

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

6. Raven

Raven Member

I. Am. Intrigued.

:)

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

amazing player to get for a playoff run, but it all depends on what Ferry is asking for him. We have to assume that Morey isn't interested in maxing him out, but some other team will, so it's all about what we'd have to give up for a half a season rental. That said, if another team maxes him out this offseason, his bird-right will be worth something, so we'd be in position to recoup some of what we'd be giving up to get him. I'd be excited if it worked out. He'd be an excellent fit for our team ...assuming we could reign in his terrible 3-pt shooting.

8. Gil

Gil Member

There's a reason Hawks aren't offering him the max.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

This!!! He is not worth it!!!!

10. Arthurprescott2

I've yet to hear a coherent argument for Smith though I've heard numerous arguments against Smith.

Smith fans: make the argument for why HOU should allow Smith to mess up the cap and/or why HOU should give up assets for him.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

His contract expires after this year, and I'm fairly confident Morey isn't giving a max deal to him. So it's not going to significantly hamper the cap or our ability to go after Dwight.

Basically, it comes down to what Aruba77 said -- is using Smith as a half-season rental and whatever costs we could recoup this summer (S&T) worth the assets we'd have to give up? I'd say it's unlikely. Atlanta is a playoff team themselves, and even if they know they aren't going to re-sign him this summer, they'd probably hold tight and see what happens later rather than go for a Patterson/Morris/Aldrich type deal.

But, if they're desperate to quickly turn the page and/or have a fascination with a young player of ours that we don't particularly value... I think there's a pretty clear case that Smith would be a great fit on this year's team. Probably won't work out, but under the right circumstances, he's a fit.

1 person likes this.
  12. SupeR2706

SupeR2706 Member

Eff Howard and Eff Smith... LEBRON IN 2014 baby!!!

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Don't know exactly what he is worth, but

He runs floor
    Plays defense
    Rebounds

1 person likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

PASS. PASS. PASS. and PASS again.

15. davestrate

davestrate Member

All in- once he's here perhaps he and Howard can work something out ala Bosh/James to sign for less.

All the better superstars in the past decade have been drafted out of hs we'd have our two who also happen to be friends. :)

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I lol'd at this. Apparently 23 and 16 in the playoffs is just incredible!

17. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

He can add much needed defense and would be perfect fit for our fast style of play. It all comes down to is that what we need most. That or a post player (which we obviously need)...tough call

18. Raven

Raven Member

LeDiva would be more likely to join Dwight in LA as Kobe is shoved out the door.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't count myself a "Smith fan", but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rockets uniform... at the right price.

He's a definite upgrade over what we've got. He'd instantly be the most athletic player on our team. He blocks shots and rebounds at a higher rate than our PFs. He plays better D. He has a better PnR game. By staggering his minutes with Asik we could always have somebody in the game capable of blocking shots.

He would be a significant upgrade at least in the short term. But he's not worth a max contract, especially if the Rockets have to give up legit assets like D-Mo/Jones/etc.

1 person likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

He throws up airballs, shoots too much, doesn't keep mentally focused. I love the guy if I were drafting for fantasy basketball, just not a fan of giving him max dollars, at all.