1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Lin and Yang: Why Choose One Point Guard When You Can Have Two?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

The funny thing is Lin and Beverley seem way more okay with each other and the situation than the fans apparently are.

3. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

PBJ

Oh yeah! Peanut Butter and Jelly! FTW.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Nice to have Jeff back from retirement.

And now I'm listening to Paul McCartney on YouTube. Thanks a lot.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Anyways... a lot of this hot air is about Jeremy Lin sectarianism. Seems that a lot of his fans are either younger or haven't really watched NBA until he showed up and may not even be aware of Lowry vs. Dragic or AB vs. Lowry, let alone Jet vs. Sam.

The lack of context make them think that everything is an affront to their man Jeremy Lin when it is just normal NBA life. Teams need more than one decent PG, and "coming off the bench" doesn't mean that you are worse than the starters or don't have a critical role to play for the team. And when you bring up those past examples they are all like "but it's different because..."

Of course every situation is different but watch what's actually happening: Just because Lin doesn't start doesn't mean he isn't in at crunch time or doesn't play more minutes or take more shots than a starter. All this energy wasted discussing a non-issue.

#5 Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

They do play very well together.

7. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I've decided to interpret that as an official Clutchfans prediction of two more titles, so long as we keep Bev & Lin. I'm good with that.

8. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I think you could make it more fair and say that it can also be said of those on the other end of the spectrum on opinion regarding Lin. Also, they too often aggravate the situation by trolling Lin fans who may not be astute enough (might be due to them not having grown up here, or simply due to their youth) to see that they are trolling, and reply to only make the situation worse.

9. keez857

keez857 Member

I hope both are a part of the team for a very long time.

10. TTNN

TTNN Member

I don't get the argument, yes they do play well together, but you will never start them together anyway, so you still need to pick one, right?

The argument that they play together well does not erase the question who should start, bottom line, you still need to pick one to start. So stating them play well together is not the answer to the question who should start.

Also the argument that neither of these two player is okay with whomever start is also not the answer to the question who should start. That only shown that they are both team players, and they would do whatever the best for the team. However, that does not means you could do whatever to the team, the argument about who start would benefit the team the best is still there, it would not disappear just because "they don't care".

All these argument is just to trying to cover up or diminish the question about who start would be the best by not trying to face the question.

11. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Jeremy Lin and Patrick Yang. That will be something ;)

Agree wholeheartedly though, it's a good thing for the Rockets that the two point guards are pushing each other. It's a healthy competition that has made both of them better.

12. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

^ the argument is the argument...,,

J/K chill out. Just trying to be funny waiting for the game...

13. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I am not a tenured member of this board with time for in-depth analysis of the scenario, but I would love read some opinions from one of those members, regarding the possibility of starting both Bev & Lin in certain scenarios, especially if the team lands a decent 4spot this year. A lineup like Howard, 4-spot, Harden, Bev, Lin to start on smaller opposing lineups, would be interesting to see.

14. pakattak

pakattak Member

I genuinely think a lot of this would be mitigated if the media would stop saying things like "Lin beat out by Beverley" and "Lin lost the starting role..."

1 person likes this.
  15. James88

James88 Member

Lin and Yang. Get it? He's Asian.

16. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

I will always remember Kenny Smith draining 7 three pointers against the magic in the finals.

And Sam Cassell hitting the clutch 3 pointer and a two and a foul against the Knicks in Madison Square Garden in the finals as well.

The polar opposites of both Bev and Lin's games is great wrench and conundrum to throw at opposing teams to keep them off balance especially when they are on their "A" game.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It doesn't answer the question of "who starts?" because "who starts?" is unimportant-- or specifically not nearly as important as you people think it is.

Some of the media are just as stupid as some of the fans. But if you actually have the proper perspectives you wouldn't be trolled by those things.

18. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, lots of teams start 2 x PG's in the starting line up.

The Knicks started 2 x PG's for tons of games. And given Lin + Beverley gives some of the highest +- of our line ups, there's definitely an argument to just start both every game and then tinker with minutes.

Voila... all tension and argument defused over who should start. And you get one of the best line ups in terms of offense and defense at the same time.

And it's not like this hasn't been suggested before, I actually posted that both should start most games earlier this week in another thread. So it's not a terrible idea in and of itself.

19. TTNN

TTNN Member

Well, at the beginning of the season when people were arguing Beverley should start over Jeremy, I don't see you saying "who start is unimportant". Anything changed?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A lot of the whining is based on cultural differences, not being a nominal starter constitutes a loss of face/prestige to certain LOF's that's unacceptable, regardless of him playing his current role (6th man/instant offense/0 assists) to perfection - and it must be remedied regardless.