1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where's the Melo Love?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayZ750, Apr 17, 2012.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Very true. And over this last stretch he's been manning up big time. hence the thread.

2. Mr. Space City

i'd wait to see how the knicks look next year to come to a conclusion if it really was d'antoni that was the problem.

at the ed of the day the knicks will never win the east because they are not better than the bulls or the heat.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ very true.

because, contrary to what some may believe, neither Tyson Chandler, Amare Stoudemire or Jeremy Lin are superstars. The Heat have 2.5 superstars. The Bulls have the reigning MVP, better all around talent and a better coaching staff.

But it's not that hard to see them getting home court advantage in the first round. Since they're 7-13 start they are 25-16, a winning % that would put them 4th in the East.

But they obviously have issues. Few draft picks. No salary cap room. And stuck with what should be a dwindling Amare on a ridiculous contract.

Absent a killer trade, hard to envision Melo winning a Knicks championship anytime soon.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i stopped reading at "can be too unselfish"

1 person likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LOL good catch @ cheke64

:grin:

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. I love me some Novak. :grin:
    Anyway, our dream of getting a lottery pick from NY is squashed.

And Melo is the SF version of Iverson.

7. smw6230

smw6230 Member

Melo's line from last night 35 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists.

Anthony is showing a completeness to his game that he hasn't shown before. He's scoring, rebounding, hustling back, and playing defense. He's never going to be a lock down defender, and people are always going to harp on that fact but right now under Woodson he's playing the best all around basketball of his career and he's doing enough to help NY win even without 2/3 top scorers.

One final thing people can harp on Melo being a vol scorer, but come playoff time the teams that advance will be the ones that have closers like Anthony. Guys who you can ride in the final minutes that can close games against even playoff caliber defenses geared to stop them.

In the regular season having a deep team full of guys wins a lot of games. Come playoff time, when defenses get tighter, to advance you need a "star" who can carry everyone else down the stretch. In the end that is Carmelo's real value.

8. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

heat first round exit (srs) lebrick better pepper his angus

9. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

oh yea, Melo and Rondo have been taking the NBA by storm the last few weeks

10. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

I can't believe most of you kids wouldn't want Melo on the Rockets,

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

"He's not a superstar"

Eat ****.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The only thing he is great at is scoring and I don't love his attitude. I don't think you can win with Melo as your best player and this year he hasn't proven that he can be great playing with other good scoring options on the court with him. I also worry about his ability to stay great when his body starts to wear down in the near future.

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

he'll get it, and it'll increase when he does more in the playoffs

14. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

wow, hes doing it again tonight...no one can stop him.
    I don't agree with his game sometime and don't think he is the right fit for everyteam. I had that trade crap he and other players are pulling mid season with the demands.

BUt I have always thought Melo is the best if not the 2nd best(him Kobe) with the most refined and dangerous games on offense. He is just deadly iwth one of the best mid range shots and can hit you an amazing post game, face up game, etc. He is very quick and strong and is one of the hardest people to guard in the league. He could stand to improve some on his leadership and defense , but you know what you are getting with him and he is one of the most skilled offense players in the game

15. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

21 points on 8-10 4-4 threes in the 1st

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So this guy is only good when he's the only one touching the ball? Lol.
    Meh. If that's his game then that's his game. I thought he sucked because he couldn't play with people but its more so that its just not his game.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All Melo does is lose.......

except when he wins!!!!

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

13 shots last game -> non-existent.

32 shots tonight -> 39 points.

If he makes his jumper, and he takes 20+ shots, he'll look like a star. Knicks better pray he makes his J in the playoffs.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Melo is the MAN! He's not a leader so he needs someone on the team who can fill that role (see Billups, Denver). I think Woodson is doing a great job at being that steady voice who does not take BS from his players. He can fill that leadership role that Melo can't.

Lez go Knicks!

20. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Melo's game is identical in almost every way to Dominique Wilkins, the best scorer in the 80's other than MJ. Great volume scorer, ultra athletic, good rebounder, decent passer, average defender. His playoff success is nearly identical too. A few playoff wins, but never getting past the top teams.

The problem with guys like this is that their flaws get exposed in the playoffs. Their lack of D and ball-hogging both become problems in the more disciplined playoff games. The true superstars also dramatically outclass them come playoff time.

Bird, Jordan, Isiah, Magic > Nique just like LBJ, Kobe, Rose, Wade > Melo.