1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MagicJack Plus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Anyone use MagicJack Plus for their home phone service? Seems like a good alternative to home phone service, especially since it no longer requires that you plug in to your computer.

Love to hear about your experiences with this. Thanks.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have the older magicJack that I use when I need a "landline" at our lake house. Works fine for me and appears to work well on the opposite end (e.g. no echo, static or delay).

I have been thinking about getting the plus so I don't have to go through my computer.

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I've had MagicJack Plus for about a year and it works great.

4. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I have ooma since they first came out but have tried the magic jack and it does work well. I set one up for my brother overseas and no issues for the most part. At rare times it echos but corrects itself within seconds.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ooma is the best for me. Tried MagicJack and hated that the computer had to stay on. Ooma, although a little more expensive, has worked reliably for me for the past 3 years.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

lol. My wife just bought my inlaws that as a christmas gift because they just got rid of their landline. They didn't want it, so we returned it. So, I guess to answer your question, no.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A good friend of mine that I met through bridge has this and I think he likes it. The only bad thing I know about it is that it needs to be charged constantly and when it is being charged, no one can get a hold of you.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

???

It has a dedicated power supply which is the primary difference from the original. That was why the original used a computer was to leech power. The plus just goes through a cat 5 connect and can stay tucked away.

It's fine for what it is. Had it a year. rarely used it. won't renew, but only because my oldest son now has a cell phone and i don't think we've put more than 60 minutes total use on the magic jack.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I use ooma and its very good

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The newer MagicJack Plus is fine as it eliminates needing the computer on to use it. I use it and have had zero problems. Just have to plug it in to an outlet for power and plug it in to your router. It has a computer software interface but I never use it as it is not needed to use the phone. The only downside I really found is you can transfer your existing home phone # but they tack on some annual charge to keep that phone number (around $10 a year I believe). Still, even with the "transfer" charge and the annual charge for MagicJack, it still beats the hell out of the cost of monthly phone service. That said...I don't care what service you use. Just don't let the phone company continue to rip you off for a land line. If they can't compete price-wise with MagicJack or Ooma or whatever, then screw them. They have been ripping everyone off for years with their bs itemized charges.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

He may have the original and not the plus version. All I know is that there are times I can't get a hold of him because he is having to charge the phone and it takes a damn long time for it to charge.

12. bobrek

The original never needs charging. It simply plugs into the computer USB port. As long as it is plugged into USB, it will work.

13. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have never used Magic Jack, but it's cheap enough to risk some money on. I see that they even offer a free trial period now.

I have used similar services in the past and have been happy with them. Anything beats paying $30-50/month for a home line. I was able to change to a cheaper cell phone plan too. Since I preferred the sound quality on the home line, I used a lot less cell phone minutes.

14. gah

gah Member

Sounds like your friend is just avoiding you whenever he wants. :p

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I use one. its nice, it just sucks that you cant renew their service, and instead you have to buy a new one.

16. bobrek

I am able to renew mine without buying a new one.

17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Me too. They charge my acct every year.