1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

All this Jeremy Lin talk remind me of a younger Kyle Lowry once upon a time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 23, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

When traded to the Rockets, Kyle Lowry was in his 3rd year with a limited resume. His scouting report was that he could attack the basket, good floor general, great rebounder for a PG, play good defense, but couldn't shoot worth a damn. He then spent the next year being exactly just that, all while the Rockets insist that he shot really well in practice, and felt that he can be a good shooter.

Fast forward 2 years into the future. When signing with the Rockets, Jeremy Lin is in his 3rd year with limited resume. His scouting report is that he can attack the basket, good floor general, great rebounder for a PG, play the passing lanes on D but more suspect man-defender, and not a good shooter. He has now spent 12 games being exactly just that, all while the Rockets insit that he shoot really well in practice, and feel like he can be a good shooter.

Remember the immortal words of DaDakoda. "Kyle Lowry is a career backup." And I believe he had seen Lowry for more than 12 games when making such a proclamation too. Learn from the past, and be more patient. Jeremy Lin's not holding us back from championship path this year. If he takes a month or even a season to feel comfortable shooting in an actual game, so be it. There's plenty of time.

3 people like this.
  2. Orange

Orange Member

My problem with Lin is that he struggles to handle the ball.

3. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

i agree with the OP

but Lowry developed under Adelman( who is a master at unwanted players... Chase, Brad Miller, Lowry, etc)

If Lin was playing under Adelman i might have more hope for him

4. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

delevoping

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin salary is higher than Lowry.

And he's shooting % declines, not undeveloped.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Last year, Kyle Lowry in 32mpg averaged 2.8TO/game
    This year so far, Jeremy Lin in 33mpg averages 2.8TO/game

The parallel is downright uncanny.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you believe 78 games (#of games Lin has played in the NBA) is enough to determine if a player is a developed shooter, I'd like to hear the basis for that argument.

8. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

great post OP...but there are way to many whiners who want instant results and bash away. I have no doubt the ROX will be a much better team in the 2nd half of the season and especially next year. As far as Lin is concerned, I think he does have upside. We'll just have to wait and see. NOBODY can predict whether will be average or a star....NOBODY. I remember Nash was doubted pretty much his whole career (and no I'm not comparing Lin to Nash so calm da eff down). Even when he won the MVP award, the other black players were saying crap like it's because of the system blah blah. But now look at him...he's a future HOF.

9. dream1222

dream1222 Member

Lowry was shooting very well in practice when there is no pressure, he just lacked confidence
    I guess Lin is going through the same thing, he has 87.5% ft shooting.
    If he can keep working on his jumper, better form, faster release, he will be fine... someday...

10. thekad

thekad Member

Lin is an obvious net negative on the court. Lowry was an obvious net positive, as soon as began backing up AB. And Lowry was younger.

There's no comparison.

11. dream1222

dream1222 Member

“I can’t wait until I’m watching ESPN and I see a highlight of Jeremy Lin passing me the ball and I hit a shot and they say, ‘Jeremy Lin to Jeremy Lamb,’ ” said Lamb, a rookie out of Connecticut. “Or the other way around when I pass it to him, because he’s a great shooter.”
    base on Jeremy Lamb's comment, Lin shooting is fine in practice...

12. Lihao

Lihao Member

EYE TEST :grin:

13. Vienna Calling

Sorry, I don't see the parallels either. Lin does a coupe of things well but he still is a horrible shooter and a far below average defender. Lowry is a better player in nearly all aspects of the game.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Of course it's not a perfect comparison. Nothing in NBA is. Lowry played against backups on a team with veterans like Yao, Hayes, Scola, Battier, Lee, Artest, Martin, etc. Teams that won 50+ and 40+ games in the two seasons he was a backup.

Now Lin has played on a team with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players, less talent, less chemistry, and has to play against starters.

I can see why Lowry would've looked better back then.

15. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Looks like you made most of that scouting report on Lin up. I never heard anything about him being a "good floor general" or a "great rebounder for a PG". Lowery had a limited resume because he didn't get any PT. Lin was brought here because of Linsanity and the fact that he could generate revenue. The only knock on Lowery was that he couldn't shoot consistently. That can be fixed for any player so I can see Lin fixing that. As for the rest, not gonna happen.

16. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Last year Lowry handled the ball every time up the court and set up the offense. This year Harden does that. If Lin handled the ball as much as Lowry did last year, he would have more TO's. No comparison. This is how stats lie to you.

17. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

So I guess stats are less superior to your premonitions or predictions? Personally, I'd go with the stats over your fortune telling abilities anyday. :)

18. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

So you're saying that if someone handles the ball more, they would have less turnovers? Are you saying that Lin is handling the ball as much as Lowry did last year? It's not predicting anything when a player is handling the ball less and has the same amount of TO's.

19. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

No I never said that. You do realize when the majority of TOs happen right? Hint: It's not while the PG brings it up the court. :cool:

20. Luca

Luca Member

Lmao at your quote "calm the eff down". Nice post.