1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Notes/Buzz on Nene, Hayes, Motiejunas and Team Direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Haha. I love this kinda stuff. thx, Clutch.

Uh oh. OHMSS is going to take this bait and get banned for derailing a Clutch thread. awesome.

It takes more than one computer to run his stats. Why doesn't he upgrade to Watson?

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What makes you think Flynn is going to turn it around Clutch?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Terrible then, terrible now. Where is coachbadlee at? Haha :grin:

5. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

great article clutch, i can't tell you how much i appreciate condensing all of the actual, verified, and relevant rockets news into one well written article. much appreciated.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Unlike the other 2009 draft picks that we acquired, Flynn was actually a pretty decent rookie in his first year, after all he was voted in the NBA all-rookie second team.

Of all the 2009 players we acquired, Flynn in my opinion probably has the best chance of breaking out.

Granted, there were bad players like Adam Morrison as well in the rookie second team and it's definitely not an indication that Flynn will be a very good player, and also the fact that Flynn played for the Wolves.

Unfortunately there really isn't much room for Flynn with Lowry and Dragic, but I have higher hopes for him than T-Will, Thabeet etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

OHMSS inc

you don't think Flynn can turn it around?

1 person likes this.
  8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not high on any of the four to be honest, but I like him the best. It's a new start with (frankly) a much better franchise -- I think there's potential there. Unfortunately, if it was a rank of playing time opportunity, he'd be ranked 4/4... so there's that.

No problem and thanks -- glad you find it useful.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thanks for the read, Clutch.

I'm a little curious as to why the Rockets seemingly consider Nene their only chance to make a free agent splash given that Gasol is younger and also available.

That said, I'm not much of a proponent for signing either really. Just curious as to why they're not considering Gasol as well.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think One of Dragic or Flynn will def. be traded before or around Christmas. I think Morey would ideally like to use either Courtney Lee or TWill as the third string PG injury barring. At this point Dragic should have good value, both as an expiring contract and a solid PG for a team that can spare a late first or early 2nd round pick. Morey never lets expiring contracts go without getting something back in return.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Restricted free agent, I would guess. My understanding (and BimaThug can confirm this) is to sign Nene or any of these big $$ players this year, the Rockets would have to exercise their amnesty clause on Thabeet. To sign Gasol, you'd have to do that also, but the Grizzlies could then match, leaving you without your amnesty clause to hold on to (there's no need to exercise it on Thabeet).

If he's an option to the Rockets, then he would be an option under trades rather than free agency.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you should be the rockets beat writer.

i will absolutely hate purple in another uniform. it will hurt me a lot more than any other player in recent memory. he's a top-5 rocket for me.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

KEEP THE CHUCK HAYES ALIVE!! WE CANNOT LET HIM LEAVE!!!

If need be, lets amnesty or trade somebody for peanuts in order to keep Chuck.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds plausible.

Granted, Morey seems pretty disciplined with regard to handing out contracts so one might question the need to preserve an amnesty clause he might not ever use, but I get the point that strategically it's ideal to have it (especially whenever you could end up losing for nothing -- all the while sacrificing a player you just mentioned management still has plans for, no less).

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Clutch.

I am holding out hope for Terrence Williams. He is one of the best perimeter defenders and rebounders on the team. I hope the new commitment to that side of the ball gives him a shot coming off the bench. He can be our own Tony Allen, with the additional ability to create for others.

I just love Flynn's attitude and demeanor. Very professional and Lowry-esque. I know he hasn't been the greatest shooter thus far in his career, but his form is damn near perfect. Just a beautiful stroke. I hope he can figure it out and cut his turnovers in half with some Lowry tutoring...

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Great stuff as always.

Good point. I've never thought about it this way.

What I found interesting -- though I may just be reading too much into it -- is that Morey said on 610 today that they had to plan like "if we can do this trade, then we get this free agent" due to the compressed free agency period.

Obviously this could mean nothing, but I do think that the Rockets will look into trading Thabeet (for capspace, I presume) before using the amensty clause on him to sign a guy like Nene or Chandler.
    Teams like the Kings that have a lot of cap space and will need to get to the Minimum Team Salary of 85% would appear to be logical trade partners.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If true, this is a relief. Don't make the same mistakes the Astros made and try to rebuild in one year every year.

It could be hard to be a Rocket fan (as if we're not already used to it....) for the next few years, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

18. Rivers

Rivers Member

I like what he says about D-Mo:
    Morey felt Motiejunas could have helped the Rockets and not just the team’s NBDL affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

“I think every player should go through that process of the minor leagues, like what we did with Patrick Patterson – and Marcus Morris might — but Motiejunas has a lot of ready-to-play qualities. He’s definitely been one of the top ten players in Europe to this point. I like that he’s getting more minutes there than he would get here, especially this year coming up. I think he’s averaging like 18 and 8 and translated, that’s (impressive). Scola averaged like 6 rebounds over there and he’s like near 8 or 9, so he’s been good.”

It's all true. Motiejunas could be big impact right away. Damn his contract!

19. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It will hurt me deeply if Chuck leaves.

20. makman

makman Member

Were going to have to settle with a Dalembert type, Hayes will probably go, and we can expect a few minor trades here and there. I try to remain optimistic but unless someone is ready to elevate their game to the next level (star level) this is another lottery season.