1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting Scola Back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by senter, Dec 4, 2012.

1. senter

senter Member

I think we need to get Louis Scola back. The Ice Cream Man, Mr. Two Scoops, the heart and soul of the rockets for the last few years. What he can bring back to this team is true veteran leadership and hustle, as well as his automatic midrange game that I miss so dearly. The biggest knock (and really, only knock) on Scola was his defense. Well now we have Asik to help cover his weakness. Parsons and Harden are solid defenders, and Lin has really stepped up his D this season. I think we can afford to have 1 position not doing anything on defense if it means craftiness on offense. I know we're all excited about the new look Rockets, and how we're starting a youth movement (being the youngest team in the league and all). But most of our losses have been close ones (damn Portland games..), and that's due to our youth and inexperience. Bringing back Scola would give this team a veteran, while we develop our young stars. Delfino has been great, but he's not really a leader type. Scola could basically be what Battier was to us all those years. While our true stars were Yao and TMac, Shane was the voice rallying us all together.

I know there are mixed feelings on our current starter, Patterson. Lately he's been doing very well, and that's great. But while it's cool that Patterson is "finding his range" and stretching the D out to the 3 point line, I honestly don't expect him to keep shooting 50% from beyond the arc. I don't really think that's the direction we should be taking anyway. Let the guards and small forward shoot the 3's, and let the 4's and 5's grab the boards and work in the post. And to be honest, Scola would probably be fine coming off the bench anyway, that's the kind of awesome person he is. He's not doing as well in Phoenix as they hoped I'm sure. I'll admit, I don't know the full rules about getting back amnestied players but worst case would be 1 to 2 years from amnesty date I would think. If anyone could chime in and clarify that would be great.

Now, to the "1 star thread" "terrible thread" "0/10, would not read again" naysayers: look at our power forward position. All of our power forwards think they're 3s. Even DMo thinks he's a 3. We need a 4 who actually wants to stay in that position, and Scola can be had at a discount compared to any star power forward we might try to sign or trade for. Who are we aiming for anyway? Dwight Howard? Chris Paul? Josh Smith? Sure, let's go after those stars (is Josh Smith even really a star :rolleyes: ) to pair with Harden but let's still have a tough veteran leader on our team.

Anyway, flame away, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  2. AFS

AFS Member

Isn't there a rule that we can't reacquire a player we amnestied for the duration of his contract or something along those lines?

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Let's bring in a veteran to take away time from younger guys at a position where we already can't find time for 3 young guys (Jones, White--if he ever shows up, D-Mo)...

with a goal of trying to win a couple of more games in a season when we're not contenders anyway??

Neither of the above 2 pieces make sense. Together, it's ridiculous

4. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Don't we already have a hole in the defense with Harden? Now you want to bring another hole to the defense?

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

This.

We amnestied Scola.

So, SAYONARA SCOLA!

6. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Patterson > Scola

7. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Once again, Rockets are 3rd in offense, but 29th in defense. And all fans want to talk about is to how to improve the offense.

NBA has truly become AND1 ball.

8. sergio

sergio Member

Even though it will never happen. Scola would be a perfect 4 next to Asik.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Pretty much. Scola can't come back. Not to mention, Patterson has been shooting .375 from 3 point land. That's easily sustainable. Heck, he could improve that.

Also, Harden is not a solid defender. He's okay at best, and really he may not be Martin bad, but he's not great either.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

8th on offense, 20th on defense, actually. Gotta look at the possession adjusted numbers.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No, No, No.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Scola deserves better than this team and we deserve younger talent.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Great thread. 5 star thread. 10/10, would read again.

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

Absolutely NO. Terrible Idea.

15. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I hated him leaving, but at this point you can't be effing serious.

16. senter

senter Member

hah. :cool:

I know we're doing fine on offense but as the season continues and other teams start to figure out our offense, they'll start to adjust their defense accordingly. Our offense could start to bog down like it used to last year in the 4th quarter. But unfortunately (for me, at least, you F words are already ****ting all over my thread haha) we won't be able to get him for the life of his current contract which I believe goes through next season.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

News flash, this team is better than the one he is rotting on. Maybe Goran Dragic can start carrying them on his back since he is so good.

18. just a word

just a word Member

Moreyball doesn't like midrange jumpers.

Guess who likes shooting them? Scola.
    Guess who likes assisting people into midrange jumpers? Lowry.

Harden tends to go to the rim or the 3pt unless there's no other options, ditto with Lin and Lin tends to assist his teammates into at the rim or 3pt. Patterson had been encouraged to find his 3pt in the offseason; our other tweener forwards are all forwards tend to shoot the three/go to the rim.

Houston in 2011/2012 shot the most midrange 2's of the past 6-7 seasons... and then practically the entire roster had an overhaul. There might not be a precise causality but I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the matter.:grin:

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what??

"we're good here, but I want to shore it up because teams will figure it out"

It just defies all logic. You're assuming that every other team can outcoach and outscheme us. That they make adjustments and we don't.

Use reasonable arguments, then come back

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dragic would fix the defense dilemma in the backcourt. So many posters are keyed into the offense of the Harden-Lin combo but defense has been the greater issue.