1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time Warner - Can you buy your own DVR?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have 3 of them in the house and it is $30 a month, is there a way to buy your own DVR and use it instead of leasing one from Time Warner?

Thanks,

DD

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, its called Tivo.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Ebay.
    Bac in 2005, before TW/Comcast had the dual tuner, I bought a Scientific Atlanta dual tuner DVR off of Ebay. It was aight but I sold it when TW/Comcast came out w/ theirs.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But I have read that 3rd party ones do not work, is that correct?

DD

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bingo. All you do is buy one and ask comcast for a programming card...well a card if you have HD. best DVR because they Invented DVR.

PUPOP! Ding!

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

ok cool. i was going to go to a comcast store today to rent a DVR. the HD DVR is like 10 bucks a month.

so how would Tivo factor into all this?

thanks

7. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

you have to pay tivo a monthly fee too. so it really doesnt matter if you have tivo or TW dvr they make you pay monthly fees. it's such bull****.

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Building a HTPC can fix this, right? What kind of software do you need besides running a windows media?

9. droxford

droxford Member

You need hardware, too. You need a computer card that allows you to insert the Time-Warner-provided CableCard into it (this will decrypt the Time-Warner signal). You also need a TV card that let's you receive, record and play TV shows. Other things you might need: huge hard drive, remote control setup for the PC.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

... and then you pay for the electricity and the repair costs when a hard drive, motherboard, or something else fails. :D

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you can buy TIVO, but you get charged for their service too.
    but you have to use the cable card from time warner

https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxes.do

12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

What do cable cards cost to rent nowadays from CC or TW? If they're the same as before,make sure you grab a handful when you go to get one because 8 out of 10 wont work..

13. droxford

droxford Member

When I called Comcast a few months ago, it was pretty durned cheap (I think it was $2 or $3 a month, or something like that).

14. famicom

famicom Member

There's a lifetime renewal license for $399, I believe, and it will automatically update your box. It will stay stored on the motherboard of the machine so you can't switch the license.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

3 years of TiVo: 130 for service plan, 300 for HD DVR = $430

3 years of renting HD DVR = $360

I would have to rent for 6 years from Comcast to make TiVo's lifetime membership + cost of TiVo worth it.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Switch to Dish Network.

Plans are cheaper and their HD DVR is much better.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

well i was paying about 93 (51+42) before taxes for comcast basic cable + high speed.

now i am paying 85 with HD DVR...haha.

switching to satellite is a mess when you have 3 or more tvs. especially when you have parents who just want to turn on the tv and just switch through channels without having to be on the proper input and blah blah.

classic bronze with FSN and DVR = $50
    add HD = 10
    add lease fee for 3rd tv = 7

so before promotion is 67 a month. they do have a promotion of $35 off a month for 6 months making it $31..but still. not worth all that wiring and hassle. I would rather pay 10 bucks more a month to have cable which majority of the time doesn't go out in rain.

i mean i had dish for 2 years when i was away for college. it was cheaper then because it was just 1 tv and they had a good promotion.