1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Chron]Rockets need Harden to carry load, spread the wealth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Nov 7, 2012.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

This explains a lot as a lot of comments have come, mainly from Harden, how he had little trouble learning the offensive sets (basically none) and adjusted easily. We've also seen it ourselves in these first three games that there was a not a lot happening besides Harden and Lin having the ball, pick and roll and that's it. Let's hope they have more in mind now for Harden than just that pick and roll and glad they are at least trying to have some sets for Harden.

If we didn't have Harden, we definitely would've been bottom team if our coaches went with this free flow identity. So we should be counting our lucky stars that we have Harden now since that free flow offense, just pick and rolls, moving the ball with no plays called will not work in the long run, especially when you don't have the talent nor the right coach. Ironic that they didn't use any plays from Adelman last year but now they wanted to go with a free-flow offense...

It probably has to do with rookies not remembering plays, Mchale already limited in his X's en O's but to go to a free flow offense and basically giving up on your implementation of a system is kind of weak. It does show McHale can adapt to a group of players but to decide in pre-season that you're not giving it time to develop is a bit shocking to me.

2. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

this is not news. Its been said over and over again ever since the trade went down. Basic basketball is what the Rockets offense consist of. So Harden being a PRO baller SHOULD know how to play basic basketball.

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Not saying the offense is a thing of beauty ... but the Rockets are currently 10th in points per game and 9th in assists per game.

Considering a starting front court of Asik/2Pat and Asik, and the Harden trade just days before the season start ... that doesn't look too bad

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Why do you add the title of your own? Not that it's wrong, but it seems like your personal intepretation. In numerous occasions Mchale mentioned they will add plays as the season progress.

Actually in Harden's first game against Detroit, coaching staff added a couple plays from the OKC playbook as mentioned in the interviews.

5. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

I hope they draw a game which has Harden/PPat playing pick n pop instead of Aşık screens. Ppat can really do well on those picknpops, I know we need a real scoring threat on power forward but we havent tried Pat's offensive abilities yet. If he steps up his game we can be playoff bound team right now. With only Harden and Lin carrying offense we'll get the 14th pick again this year, sbt.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm still not sold on Mchale. Offense looked dreadful out there with Harden. Lin cant do everything by himself. This basic offense will work, until teams take notice of the Rockets and key in. Like what happened last season towards the end where we collapsed. Teams just figured us out.

7. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

For 4 mill a year to a coach what do you get? Basic high school plays. :rolleyes:

What lazy coaching.

8. conquistador#11

at the end of the game, I would like to see more democracy and less fascist hero ball, especially when the hero is "dragging"(mctalky's own word).
    Dragging? You think??? after back to back 44+ minutes..no way!

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I like how complaining fans can just complain about anything. When JVG was here, everyone was mad that his offense was too simple and boring. We bring in Adelman, and people start complaining about how his offense was too complicated and players can't understand it. Now we have McHale and it's back to the whole it's-too-simple thing.

I mean, these guys literally have never played together before this season. Asik(Bulls), Lin/Douglas(Knicks), Harden/Aldrich/Cook(Thunder), Patterson(Rockets), Greg Smith(RGV), Morris(bench), Delfino(Bucks). Seriously, what are you expecting for the first few games? The Princeton?

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

People's problem with Adelman wasn't a complicated offense (unless you were Terrance Williams) it was the lack of defense, which can be attributed to having no shot blockers on his team for most of his tenure after Deke and Yao went out.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

" Come on guys "

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I have no problem with the offense. Pick n Roll is by far the most effective way to score and if done right, it's unguardible. The problem is we don't have a reliable backup point and shooting guard who can run pick n roll adequately when beard and lin are not on the court.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Also really don't have that pnr big man.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

There isn't an offense because McHale doesn't know how to implement plays.

We need a better coach to maximize the potential of our young team. McHale is conditioning them to defer to Harden, which can work, but sooner or later when he is doubled all night, we will need some sort of structure to free other people up.

Dwayne Casey would even be an upgrade...

I don't think I've ever disliked a Rockets coach so much. He seems like a nice guy, but he tries to be every player's "buddy" during timeouts and what not. I think it's because he isn't confident.

When the game is close, you can see him suddenly jump from his chair, stumble over to half court and mutter something and flail his hands around. I truly think he is at a loss.

Great players rarely make great coaches, in my opinion.

/End rant for today :)

15. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Carl Sagan?

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

According to the stripper thread, Harden has no problem sharing the wealth.

Keep doing your thing, dude.

1 person likes this.
  17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

according to that yardbarker article.. he's already spreading his wealth ;)

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

NO freaking way! Same post time! :) gmta

19. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

LBH,
    You two called each other up and coordinated what yall were wearing first day of school, didn't you?? :p

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

He's name is Terrence Jones :grin: