1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Former Rockets coach Bill Fitch talks with ClutchFans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This was a personal honor to have former Rockets coach Bill Fitch on the podcast. Some really good insight from him on Hakeem Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson and the early/mid '80s Rockets. We also talked about Kevin McHale getting into coaching and how he accepted the 6th Man role despite being a high draft pick.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5147/podcast-rockets-coach-bill-fitch/

4 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Whoa! Very much a person I'd love to hear from. Will listen as soon as I get home.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Well done Clutch.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Damn, now that's a guest.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great interview. I'd be afraid to even ask him a question for fear of it sounding too dumb.

1 person likes this.
  6. maczmina

maczmina Member

Great interview.

1 person likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

I thought the questions were excellent. Interesting to hear that McHale wasn't the greatest practice player at first, and basically had to get whipped into it. Maybe that allows him to relate to his players more. Not every player's psyche works like a Bird or Jordan.

1 person likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

McHale has stated the same thing many times. It was Bird that set the example and made everyone play harder. That is why he was a great coach eventhough he didn't handle any of the X and O's when he was with the Pacers.

I see the same thing with McHale. He doesn't have to handle the X and O's, he just needs to teach guys how to win.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Awesome. Congrats on the interview! That must have been pretty exciting.

10. Carl Herrera

Nice interview. I wished you guys had more time to get into stuff like specific McHale stories. I read that McHale chafed under Fitch's drill instructor approach to coaching. Wonder if Fitch has any dirt on McHale.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Dammit, Dave!

We were probably going to do another podcast together soon, but how the hell am I supposed to follow THAT act?! :p

Great job, bud. Amazing guest. Excellent interview.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

That was excellent.
    Really, really enjoyed.

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Thanks again, Clutch.

I really appreciate these podcasts. Keep up the good work!

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I appreciate all the compliments... thank you. It was a great experience for me to talk Rockets, McHale with Bill ... really brought back a lot of memories for me as a fan.

If you have CSN Houston, Bill Worrell's interview of Fitch ("Conversation with Bill Fitch") is airing right now.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

McHale acted like a goofball under KC Jones, too, from what I heard. He wasn't a practice guy, but when the game started, he got serious really fast.

16. Carl Herrera

I think McHale being a goofball at times is why Bill Fitch told Clutch that he thought McHale may be able to reach Howard and get him to the next level. McHale, like Howard, loves to joke around and have fun but you don't become a Hall of Famer or DPOY without having putting in hours and hours of serious work on a sustained basis.

Books and articles about the old Celtics indicate that Bird was kind of bothered by McHale having too much fun and not being the same sullen maniacal competitor that Bird was. (These teams used to have a split between "Kevin guys" and "Larry guys" with few who were members of both. Bird would also be more generous with praising Parish than praising McHale).

Does the McHale-Bird dynamic remind anyone of two players on a team last year?

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Another exceptional feather in your cap! Congrats.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Great interview Dave! How the heck did you get Bill Fitch?

One big thing I took from the interview is that Bill thinks Asik and D12 can play 10 - 20 minutes a game together regardless of the opponent.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Excellent interview.

20. Carl Herrera

Speaking of playing two bigs together: What was Jim Petersen's game like back in the 80s? Was he a good mid-to-long range shooter? How did the Petersen-Olajuwon combo work?