1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why has Greg Smith been frozen out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Jan 4, 2013.

1. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

He's seen less and less time in the rotation, Aldrich received a nod over him and stunk up the joint and now McHale apparently prefers playing Patterson at the back-up 5.

Imo Morris hasn't done enough to warrant retaining the starting spot, I'd be looking to put Patterson back as the starting PF given that he plays much more consistently. Oh and we got absolutely destroyed on the boards in the 2nd quarter when we went small with Patterson at the 5 and McHale continued with it. I hope he reconsiders and tries to put Greg Smith back into the rotation, he's done nothing to warrant being frozen out, the guy has given more than valuable minutes, he's played damn exceptional and all the stats show it.

2. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

hiding from the trade machine maybe? I think they're showcasing the other players to up their trade value

3. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

It was an 8 man rotation today.

4. val_modus

val_modus Member

Agreed. I don't think Morris should lose his starting spot however. The guy can stretch the court for Lin and Harden's playmaking. Patterson fits in better with the second unit as he leads the team in low post usage which is something that goes better when playing with a shoot first "pg" (Douglas).

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He lost minutes after the shoe lace and shooting-shirt issues. Need to learn how to attire himself properly for minutes.

6. BBAL

BBAL Member

Good question. I was getting warmed up to him. He was looking better and better.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

all the extra articles of clothing is a problem for Greg Smith. Rox have like 3 shooting shirts.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

9. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I worry that McHale is going with a lineup that sticks Patterson at the 5 now like last year

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Thanks, I somehow absent-mindedly forgot about these incidences. Probably would explain a lot of it given McHale prefers to treat these guys like rooks. Still annoyed that Aldrich got 'unearned' minutes over him though.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Simple.

If Patterson sucks, put Smith in. If not, let it roll.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

^^^ this....

13. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

low bball iq - shoe lace incident

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

because mchale is coaching.

15. Chamillionaire

He's behind Asik, MM, PP. Nothings really changed except that PP is back from injury and shooting lights out.

16. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This BETTER be the ONLY reason. Otherwise McHale is just playing Aldrich because he looks the most like him.

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Has coach McHale or Daryl Morey seen or commented on that picture? It's so funny.

18. rogower

rogower Member

Completely agree. It appears that Daryl Morey is showcasing Patrick Patterson and Cole Aldrich. Sooner or later, Greg Smith will start getting his 15-20 minutes/game again. I think Morey would love to free up a roster spot by packaging Patterson and Aldrich for an expiring contract and the highest draft pick possible. Then he uses the available roster spot to sign Patrick Beverly and trades Scott Machado to Chicago for Richard Hamilton and Chicago's 2013 first round pick (lottery protected).

In other words, Morey would like to turn the expendable Patterson and his two least valuable players on the roster into next year's backup PG (Beverly) and two draft picks, hopefully two first round draft picks. The team can obviously replace Patterson in the rotation with Terrence Jones.

I think he'd also love to get back a draft pick for Carlos Delfino, if he could, but I think that's pretty unlikely, even though Delfino has played well and would be a good rotation player for any team.

19. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Cuz of his D and ability to space the floor

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

As long as they keep winning, McHale can play anyone he wants and I won't care. But, it could be that he is ill or something. I think Cole was sick last game, so I wouldn't be surprised if an illness is going around.