1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

30,000 Points for Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Damion Laverne, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Damion Laverne

Bryant, who has 29,987 points as of today after the Rockets' victory over the Lakers, is 13 points away from becoming the youngest player to reach 30,000 points (5th overall).

The Lakers play the Hornets at 7:00PM. Although most of us do despise him, we can't knock him for what he's done in his career. After all, this milestone will be "another notch on [his] bed post."

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thats amazing. He might go on to get 31K if he remains healthy.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Might? I'd say it's pretty much a given. The earliest I see him retiring is after next season, which is 146 more games. If he only scores 20 points per game, that would put him at nearly 33,000 points.

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

If he plays 4-5 more seasons he will take Kareem Abdul-Jabbars spot at the very top.

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

If he continue chuck up 30shots per game at 40% accuracy and in expense of his team success, sure he will break that record.

6. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

His percentage has actually been very good this year.

I think his playing well overall.

But 3 more season after this season plausible at 20ppg.

7. Classic

Classic Member

Is he retiring after next year?

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

LeBron will get to 30K faster, then Durant will get there faster then he and Kobe.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

146 games if he doesnt make the playoffs, doesnt miss any games, and retires next season.

I see him hitting around 35k points when he's all said and done.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those saying Lebron will get there faster (or Durant, which won't happen), you have to note that Kobe did this while playing with the best player in the league for 4-5 of those years, who scored more.

11. LCAhmed

And then Greg Smith... :)

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The way he started last night...thought he would drop 50...

13. LCAhmed

That's true. But you also have to note that LeBron is a pass first player (remember all the heat (No pun intended) he got for passing off on late game situations?) and that also the time he has and will spend in Miami playing with Wade and Bosh takes away from his scoring opportunity to fill the void of his need to share the ball.

You can also make a small note for KD since Westbrook is a SG running point taking just as many shots as KD.

I get your point that Kobe wasnt the #1 option like LeBron and KD are, but there has to be a thought that maybe Kobe wasnt ready to be the #1 option then. But that will always be up in speculation

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You also have to note that Kobe wasn't ready to dominate from the jump like Kobe or Durant either. Well neither was dominating from day 1 but Kobe wasn't ready from day 1. Has more to do with his body type than anything. Also note that both LeBron and Durant don't gun as much as Kobe. It's safe to say both players will spend 4-5 years of their career playing with guys who shoot a lot (Westbrook and Bosh/Wade).

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As much as I don't like Kobe, his greatness as a player cannot be denied.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Is it me or does Kobe always light up the Rockets for 40 points?

I remember he would drop 40 on Battier, but he would chuck up more shots. Harden needs to step up and guard Kobe. With his speed and lateral quickness, he should be the best option of containing the Kobe's of the league.

17. Awesome

Awesome Member

Nor can the inflated fascination with scoring in this era, where a guy can chuck up as many jumpers as he wants to without consequences and then come out looking like he did something great, no matter if his team is losing because of it

Its amazing people actually don't love the core of the sport but glorify ball hogging and blackhole chucking

If it was Jamal Crawford you'd just call him a chucker, but people are content watching this dude defy all fundamental team ball to chuck up 30 shots a game to score 25 points... ridiculous

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't despise Kobe. I never want him to beat the Rockets, but I love the way the dude plays the game, and I love how he's all about winning. He's truly one of the greats, and it's been a privilege to watch him!

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When I say his greatness, I mean Kobe's entire career, not the current Kobe.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

.486 % FG. He can keep "chucking" at that rate.