1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is AT&T dsl internet good for online gaming?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lue03, Feb 16, 2010.

1. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: WTH?

So... are we going to discuss this, or do you just want to give us a URL and we stare at each other for a long time? :confused:

C'mon, man, at least ask some questions.

YES.

3. tested911

tested911 Member

It's crap! Well when I had it it was.. I think it's a hit or miss thing because I have some friends who like it but they aren't as download/gaming hog like I am. Go Comcast if you want the fastest connection. Currently getting 14-16 mb down and 3-4.5 up.. This is before Docsis 3.0 with a Motorola SB6120 modem.

How much bandwith do I use? 4 laptops, 1 desktop, Xbox 360, Ps3, Netflix on 3 devices.. All while constantly running bittorent with items reaching 1mb download..

4. SwoLy-D

Wait a moment. :eek: You use ALL OF THOSE constantly AND simultaneously? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. :eek: You might run two or three, but... all of those? Really?

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i use to play CS and Day of Defeat a few years back with ATT dsl. I was skeptical because i always had cable before, but really there wasnt much difference. Granted, the amount of servers with the desired ping was little less but i had no significant problems.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

3 adults and 5 kids in the house... It's not an exaggeration. Maybe 1 or 2 devices are not on but we definitely use the bandwidth.

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i have yahoo dsl and i get a lag whenever videos are running on someones laptop whenever im playing xbox live. i also get disconnected when my phone rings.

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Dayummm....that would kill my connection on COD.

9. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

You need to use one of those filters on your phones, should have came with your modem.

I have At&t DSL, its not fastest internet out there, but its cheap and stable. I never had any outages since ive had it. If your the only person using a lot of bandwidth then dsl will be fine, but if other people in your home use a lot of bandwidth or watch videos then your games will lag.

10. SwoLy-D

:eek: Ok, so no one caught this...?

3 adults? (threesome?)
    5 kids? (... and counting?)

I kid, man. :p

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

plus u don't have the bandwidth caps of Comcast. Max speed for Uverse is 24 Meg download.

13. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

been using them for 7+ years, roughly 1-1.5mbps and its fine for me, only issue i ever had was when my modem died, i used it for at least 6 years, they replaced it immediately for free

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1.5Mbps didn't cut it for Halo's big team. 3Mbps was ok, but wouldn't recommend them. The service sucked. I haven't played online since switching to cable.

15. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Always had Comcast, just got Uverse and cant believe it took me this long to switch over, it is AMAZING.

Since seeing the difference, my parents and uncle have both switched over to Uverse. Used to have issues with XBOX LIVE using the wireless adapter, now it is as clean as if it was a wired connection.

Also like the fact that their modem has a built in wireless router, much faster than my NetGear/Linxus routers.

Also love the HD service on Uverse TV.

16. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Uverse user as well, no issues with online gaming.

17. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

Can I just get the internet with that or do I need the tv package?

18. WillG

WillG Member

Damn 45 bucks for 6mbps? I get 20mbps from comcast for less than that.

19. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

i have u verse and it is faster than the comcast service i had. i had the standard service from comcast and i have the fastest uverse they could give me. 12 i think. uverse is cheaper than cc was with tv and dvr. also can record 2 hd shows at one time. the speed for both depend on your locatiion and for comcast if your cable connections are old it will be slower.

20. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

The question is when will UVERSE be available in the suburbs? And on that note, whats the best ISP/tv provider for the Sugar Land area?? Comcast blows.