1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TEA Party Poll: You'll never guess what groups of people they have issues with

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Poll: Tea Party Uncomfortable With Minorities

A new University of Washington poll found that many Tea Partiers believe "lesbians and gays have too much political power," and that despite hating our new commie government, they want Medicare and Social Security to remain in place.

The poll, conducted in May, surveyed 1,695 voters over the phone. 35 percent of those questioned "strongly" or "somewhat" support the Tea Party movement. So what else did the pollsters from UW find out? The Seattle Times spoke with University of Washington political science professor Matt Barreto, who told the paper:

"The data tells us this opposition and frustration with government is going hand in hand with a frustration and opposition to racial and ethnic minorities and gays and lesbians."

Shocking! The poll asked questions about race, gay rights, and immigration. 88 percent of voters polled who said they support the Tea Party also support Arizona's new racial profiling law. And 52 percent agreed with the statement, "compared to the size of their group, lesbians and gays have too much political power." Damn straight! The underdog, grass roots Tea Party movement is under threat from growing numbers of gays, blacks and Mexicans, all of whom want to spoil White Culture for future generations of Americans. And there's an even bigger threat brewing inside the Obama White House: he's spending your hard earned money on "the others":

"The tea party movement is not just about small government or frustration. It's (also) about a very specific frustration with government resources being used on minorities and gays and lesbians and people who are more diverse."

No wonder overnight politicans like Rand Paul and druggie Tim D'Annunzio have gained so much support from disenfranchised white people. Only they can reverse this liberal trend and restore the principals of our Founding Fathers, back to the days when slavery was all the rage and homosexuality didn't exist.

http://gawker.com/5553239/study-tea-party-uncomfortable-with-minorities

Here's the article from the Seattle Times:

[​IMG]
    It's ok though, it only takes a handful of black and hispanic supporters to make the large chunk of racists and homophobes irrelevant.

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

That's a pretty big leap going from this:
    to this:

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Gawker is purposely written in a snarky facetious manner.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes those gays and lesbians with all the power. They almost have enough power to have equal rights, but they don't have equal rights so their power is tenuously kept in check.

The part about their support of the AZ immigration law adds so much fuel to their hypocrisy. As long as the state govt. is intrusive, and abuses authority they support it, but it shouldn't be the federal govt. doing it. Is that really the stance?

Sorry thumbs, but it appears more and more like your tea party movement is a fraud. I feel bad for those taken in by the fraud.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hmmm, so according to this poll, the majority of voters support the Arizona law.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

On a quick review of the article, it seems to be quite a leap to go from support for Arizona law to "unease about minorities" in general. Even though I am against the law, I can see how a person can support it without being afraid of/hate/nervous about all people of color. I wonder if there were questions in the survey about thing like "whether black people/Asians/Latino have too much power, etc." "are your favorite Rockets Dan Langhi, Spanoulis and Budinger" or even questions more direcctly relevant to racial bias.

7. SunsRocketsfan

wow that truly is a garbage article written by the far left liberal. I admit there are crap articles from both sides and here is evidence of one from the left.
    I don't support everything the tea party stands for. Well I am not sure what the Tea Party stands for and neither do a lot of the members since there is no documented core values. But I do support their core beliefs of smaller government, personal responsibility, and less taxes. By the way I am a minority and not a racist.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This post perfectly sums up everything you have ever written here. Funny, in a sadly oblivious sort of way.

3 people like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

rhad, YOU are the far left liberal!

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Excellent. And yes, it is pretty sad.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rhadamanthus again."

11. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

mwahahahahahahaha

12. SunsRocketsfan

rhadman i was simply acknowledging the fact the the tea party has no central figure or leader. I noticed that when I wrote the post but I believe the Tea Party or those who choose to get involved in the Tea Party in one way or another have a shared belief of conservative fiscal responsibility.

13. SunsRocketsfan

on another note it really is hard to distinguish what a party stands for anymore. What does the Democratic party stand for? What does the Republican party stand for? There is a set of core values that draws people together behind a certain party. Just because the Tea Party doesn't have a central leader with a documented belief it doesn't mean there wasn't some core value there that got the movement started in the first place.

14. rhadamanthus

Textbook. When exposed, alter the story. You are perfectly predictable.

15. SunsRocketsfan

How am I altering my story? I am only clarifying what you misinterpreted. Don't be so blinded just because I may have different beliefs than you

16. Major

Major Member

They have a shared belief - but it's not conservative fiscal responsibility. For the most part, they are opposed to higher taxes, opposed to cutting defense spending, and opposed to cuts in medicare and social security. Those three equal the very opposite of fiscal responsibility.

Their shared value is anger. Some are angry at the banks or the bailouts. Some are angry at government. Some are angry we have a black President. But they are all just angry and just want to throw everyone overboard, with no rhyme or reason. And rarely do any of them actually have any sort of functional governing philosophy or solutions for any of their anger.

1 person likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Not if you're paying attention.

Health care reform. Financial reform. Immigration reform. Energy reform with a focus on alternative energy.

Opposing the Democrats no matter what. Even if Dems adopt GOP ideas, as they did with health care reform.

True - if you consider hatred and anger to be core values.

18. SunsRocketsfan

everything you claim above is untrue and unfounded and just more blind liberal bias and talking points

19. rhadamanthus

Clarification: to make (an idea, statement, etc.) clear or intelligible; to free from ambiguity.

Alteration: a change; modification or adjustment.

The original statement:
    Clarified:
    Altered:
    There is nothing wrong with admitting error and altering your position, you just never admit to it. As I stated in the referenced post above:

Oh, and that was a well-placed "woe is me, I'm being unfairly criticized" pity-party for your last sentence. Duly noted.

20. rhadamanthus

Tell me, sunsfan, can you prove this assertion? Can you document any of your claims as Major can very easily document his? Or is this a new step in the sunsfan methodology?

SUNSFAN GUIDE TO D&D DEBATE:
    1) Make a volatile and heavily biased statement/accusation.
    2) When exposed, change position to something vaguely moderate, while still repeating original biased mantra.
    3) When further exposed, play the victim and/or get upset.
    4) If countered with frank observations, resort to step 1) ??
    Profit?