1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Omer Asik’s ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 13, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What is Omer Asik’s ceiling?
    I’m not sure any of us really know but just based on his last four games it’s obvious how much his game has grown. In that brief span he has 3 double doubles. In Asik’s last four games his stat line is pretty damn good.

Code:
    PPG	13.25
    RPG	12
    FG%	0.459
    FT%	0.826
    FTA/G	5.75

No one is ever going to confuse Omer for Hakeem but in today’s NBA that’s pretty damn good. Add to the fact that Asik is the premier defender in the league at the center position outside of maybe Dwight Howard or Tyson Chandler and it’s more than just a lot of empty stats. This is Asik’s first time starting and his first time to get 30+ minutes a night and the man is just a beast. No serious foul troubles, no stamina issues and if he is this good this early in the season when most of us probably thought it would take quite a bit of time for him to adjust to being a starter, then how good will he be in January or February once he becomes accustomed to catching the ball under the basket night in and night out?

James Harden is clearly our key acquisition of the off-season but without a doubt in my mind is that Omer Asik may be the surprise of the season and just as important of an acquisition down the road. I know it’s just 4 games and in the next 4 he might only average 5PPG and 50% FT shooting but I think as hard as the guy works he is only going to get better and better on the offensive end under the basket and at the charity stripe.

If he just continues to work I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine him putting up 15 points a night with 12 – 13 rebounds and elite level defense, and if he does that then he is all-star quality.

2. directshoot

directshoot Member

But why is rox still at the bottom among west teams?

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

A healthy stronger Marcus Camby.

4. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think he can be a Turkish Tyson Chandler, which is pretty good if he develops a decent enough offensive game

5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I think making a wide open dunk would be a good start

1 person likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

19 pts and 14 boards is his ceiling :grin:

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Good thread.

I'll be very happy with 10 pts, 12 rebs, 2 blks, much-improved FG % (something like .500 for a C), decent FT % (.700+) and still solid defense.

Basically like a Tyson Chandler with less hops and worse FG %, but maybe even more hustle.

I wouldn't expect him to score a whole lot of points all the time, if that comes at the expense of his energy level on defense. Just enough to contribute and keep the defense honest.

I really like his hustle and to me, he is the most positive surprise of the season so far.

8. mirus

mirus Member

poor tyson chandler with short block abilities

9. conquistador#11

more than 10 ft of clearance that's for sure.

(insert clyde drexler laugh)

I've been impressed with the improvement on his shooting form. If he continues to work, and by all accounts he is awesome at working hard, then 15 and 13 is an obtainable goal by next season.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He is better than that scrub. You kidding me?

11. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

I think he could easily be a double double 15 pt and 15 rebound a game kind of guy. Id be cautiously optimistic that he could do any better just because hes not a guy you really run the offense through. Completely honest though the points and rebounds arent what impress me the most about the guy. I think his defense is impeccable and the fact that he hasnt been in foul trouble yet. That is what really astounds me about Asik. :confused:

12. mirus

mirus Member

chandler does a lot of intangibles.so does omer. i'm saying poor because of asik's offensive abilities ,not because of defensive abilities

and scrub is in the eye of beholder:p

13. dje243

dje243 Member

Like Bosh?

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Omer Asik has been DMorey's Luis Scola...a guy pretty obscure, who will end up getting better over time...Defensively he is already a stud(mind everyone that this is really like his 15th game ever starting) and is doing an excellent job...Offensively he is still raw...and that can always improve b/c this is a kid who wants to learn...he is only gonna get better...

15. Exel

Exel Member

I love his penchant for reverse lay ups and finger rolls. He's developing his own offensive style and flair.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yeah that is probably the the biggest surprise to me because I fully expected him to fight foul trouble.

It looks like the Rockets are trying to get him used to catching the ball in pick and roll situations with him going to the basket. Obviously in his first few games he had serious trouble holding on to the ball but he is obviously doing much better at finishing the play or drawing the foul at this point. Like most I would like him to finish with a dunk more often but I am assuming he is just trying to use the moves he practiced with Carol Dawson in the off season.

18. Zfan

Zfan Member

DPOY, Turkish Deke, the next axe murderer.

19. seyton

seyton Member

Two Luc Longleys.

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Wasn't Luis Scola Morey's Luis Scola?