1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 5, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Interesting that ESPN has us rated higher than NBA.com at #16... 1 spot behind the Lakers and ahead of Denver. :p

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

These are some of the knee-jerkiest power rankings I've ever seen.

Lakers at 15 because of 3 bad games? Give me a break. They're still the most complete squad in the west.

New York at #3? Milwaukee at #4? OKC all the way down at #7? Hahahaha.

It's nice to see them giving us some credit, but these are seriously horrible rankings to overreact so much to just a few games.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Oh, I like how many times they've won, too... since they're the most "complete" team, as you say. :rolleyes:

YOU MAD, bro? :confused:

4. munco

munco Member

i think they're suppose to be knee-jerk reactions because they're update weekly

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No team has had a bigger roster revamp than the Rockets. There is only one starter on the Rockets who was also a starter last season for the Rockets, and only two players in the starting lineup who was a Rocket last season.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I hate the Lakers, but it's simple foolishness to think they're a mediocre team after only 4 games in the season. How many teams have a 1-3 stretch at some point during each season? I bet almost every one of them has a stretch like that, if not worse, even the best teams.

Just because those are the only four games which have been played so far, does not give reason for you to knee-jerk anymore than you should after any other four-game stretch. Four games should not make a significant adjustment to one's perception of a team's talent level no matter what.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ They've played some teams that are so bad, even our Rockets can pummel them WITHOUT Harden or Lin, and... they haven't beaten those? Doesn't that tell you something, man? They're WEAK. :eek:

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

They have two top 10 players and four top 25 players in their starting lineup. They are not a weak team, and they will rebound. It may require a coaching change though.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Nobody is saying the Lakers are garbage, but power rankings are based on week to week, and this week they sucked, plain and simple.

10. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Give it 2-3 months, our young team will prevail when teams like Lakers an Knicks will have age-related problems.

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

their bench is still crap as always

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Nash is still top 25. The bench...well White, Jones, and Mtiejunas would be seeing time for the Lake Show. It is hard for me to say they won't rebound...I just don't know if they will be as dominant as expected. They will probably play like Rockets have 1st two games, starters build leads...bench losses leads.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Coaching counts... and usually a coaching change takes time to reap the benefits (barring the coach firing effect).

Good teams with the wrong coach can languish for a darn long time. Great talent doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a mediocre or even worse team.

14. J-Red

J-Red Member

Parsons, Patterson, Smith, and Morris are the only returning guys from last year and 2 of those spent most of last year in RGV. for us, anything out of the bottom 10 is very promising. We can make top 10 by the end of November is Harden averages 25 PPG and our bench starts to show up more. Asik will average 15 REB this year, and the popularity of Jeremy Lin will keep us in the media and eyes will be on us all year with Harden/Lin being one of the most intriguing backcourts in the league. Keep winning games and our ranking will soar. Lose games and we'll drop to the bottom cause people need someone to hate/blame/etc.

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

Really, more complete than the Spurs? The Lakers still have a horrendous bench and their defense has been awful so far. They have 4 great players but are either old or have a recent injury history concern. Nash in particular no longer has the benefit of the magic witch healing doctors in Phoenix to aid him.