1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2012-13 Training Camp Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 1, 2012.

1. mirus

mirus Member

I like bima quote
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>...Had they kept (and used) all those picks, there'd be no room for all those rookies on an already-young squad.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/262394268948250625" data-datetime="2012-10-28T03:24:03+00:00">October 28, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. mirus

mirus Member

give him some time. caps is like a complicated math question

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hahahaha! I'm working on it!!! Had to put my kid to bed. (And yes, he already knows how to say "James Harden" and "Fear the Beard").

"Rough" update coming in a minute.

#43 BimaThug, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  4. mirus

mirus Member

Bima,ought to tell the kids how to speak aldrich and asik too :p
    here's a link on what picks we had

Houston

Picks in trade

Picks rockets have:
    Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#ixzz2AZ1naX2L

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

***UPDATE***

Right now, the Rockets have 20 players under contract, with approximately $5.3 million in available cap room. (This trade actually created a bit of extra cap room for this season, since Harden is still on his rookie deal and the 4 guys we got together only made about as much as Martin alone.)

The Rockets now have to make decisions on whether to exercise team options on FIVE players between now and Wednesday: Aldrich (4th yr - $3.25M), Patterson (4th yr - $3.1M), Morris (3rd yr - $1.99M), Hayward (4th yr - $2.12M) and Johnson (3rd yr - $1.14M). Those decisions could greatly affect the team's available cap space next summer. (My guess is that they exercise the options on Aldrich, Patterson and Morris, but not on Hayward or Johnson.)

Assuming that the cap stays the same ($58.044 million) and that Harden gets the max salary next season based on that cap figure ($13,668,750), then the Rockets will be in a position to add another free agent making almost that much. If Aldrich, Patterson and Morris stay on the books and Hayward and Johnson come off (see prediction above), and if all non-guaranteed salary (Delfino, Smith, Machado) is dumped, the Rockets with this roster could have as much as about $12.7 million in available cap room without having to make any further trades.

Bottom line: The Rockets can give Harden the max AND still fit another max salary player fairly easily with a few minor trades.

1 person likes this.
  6. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

I thought we could have more. I was thinking like 15 million. We can dump Douglas's 3 million contract too. Not sure if you put that into consideration

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is they might not pick up Aldrich's option, so they'd have real max room.

Also, who is the next trade/FA target?

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Douglas comes off books next summer. Calculation doesn't factor him in at all.

Remember, team is adding Aldrich's salary ($3.25M), too.

You also have to factor in cap holds ($490,180) for each player below 12 left on the roster before you can use cap room.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I'm hoping someone like LaMarcus Aldridge. Would be a perfect fit alongside Lin, Harden, Parsons, and Asik.

10. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

We have DMo and Smith. Aldrich should be dumped. We are all for building the team fundamentally next summer and take it to championship level. Go for big FAs.

11. AFS

AFS Member

I doubt Aldridge leaves Portland. Also, his heart issues scare me. But if Morey worked some magic and managed to land him, you wouldn't see me complain.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I'm curious why you think they'd pick up Morris' option.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The team still really likes Morris. He just had a bad year in a lockout-shortened season with no offseason program and limited training camp and practice time.

The coaching staff really liked what they saw in Morris before his ankle injury. I think if he continues to improve this season as a 3/4, then he can take Delfino's spot in the rotation next season.

1 person likes this.
  14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Is this true Bima?

Jonathan Feigen @Jonathan_Feigen

Hearing a lot about Lin, Asik contracts. Keep in mind, Rockets still have room for another max FA next summer, even after Harden gets max.

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That's pretty much what Bima said.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Agree. Smith is much cheaper and has more upside. Cap room is too important to waste on average players. We are still not contender this season, so we gotta plan long term.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm interested on bima's take on aldrich and cook being included........u think morey asked for them or rather, presti tried to dump them? cook seems a decent player and dead-eye shooter, but this is the 2nd time a team's given up on him, rite?

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Could be. It would certainly make signing a max guy easier without making any other trades. But if the team believes that Aldrich will be a high-quality young center, those are worth a heck of a lot more than $3.25M on the open market. They could always trade him for a future pick if they had to.

Again, it's just a guess on my part. Could go either way.