1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Notes from Daryl Morey's Q&A with fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1407/daryl-morey-qa/

I had a few private conversations before and after this session, and while I don't have anything to say that you probably didn't already know, I did come away with a stronger impression that the Rockets greatest strength going into the deadline is not their young "assets" but rather their willingness to absorb salary. I had my doubts before, but I could see Yao getting dealt if a good enough trade presents itself. So I think you have to focus on attendance numbers and financial bottom line, because the million dollar question remains -- what team is going to get desperate enough to sell the farm next week?

4 people like this.
  2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Thanks Clutch! It seems that Morey, as usual, is hiding his hand. But this year it seems different. He pretty much admitted that this team needs a franchise superstar, and he's working hard to get one.

Last season, he wasn't as outright like he is this season. But of course the need is staring him in the eyes. I just hope we can pull off a good trade and not be screwed. A change is definitely needed...

3. Convictedstupid

So Morey really likes Jimmer... Hmm

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was an excellent piece, it made you feel like you were right in the room with him.

I am glad he is looking out for next year, I know we need a center, but there is no need to go out and get one if it costs too much when there are so many of them that will be unfettered as free agents.

Just a small list off the top of my head.

1. Tyson Chandler
    2. Kendrick Perkins
    3. Kyle Fesenko
    4. DeAndre Jordan (restricted)
    5. Nene Hilario (early opt out)

Just to name 5 that Morey could target in the offseason without giving up ANYTHING.

I would like to see him clear the log jam at the wing position, just to free up some time to get a player to take that leap he is looking for, it is hard to leap forward when playing time is parsed out so sparingly.

Got to be on the court to get better.

Great read, would love to hear what he said about the Jimmer, but understand leaving it out.

Thanks,

DD

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sir, this is professional sports, the NBeffingA: the million dollar question

is more like a ten million dollar question or even fifty million dollar question.

6. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch!

7. MrJason

MrJason Member

Touche. I think that was reported in the CBS Sports report yesterday.

Gotta love Les and his trust in Morey!

And thanks for the Q&A Clutch!

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

thx, clutch. adelman question was interesting.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I like that he's keeping his options open. One thing the Rockets haven't done is commit themselves to bad contracts. Right now all the other GM's in the league that have done that are being sourpusses about it; they might hate Daryl for his fiscal responsibility but come the trade deadline they're going to spit in his face while they trade us their all-stars/picks to get the Rockets to take those bad contracts off their hands.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Good stuff, thanks Clutch.

I could see Morey trying to acquire a young talent with major upside while taking on some money to make it happen.

Would Detroit move Greg Monroe if Morey took Hamilton's deal in the process? That would require a MAJOR shakeup but it would be the type of deal i'd see Morey doing.

#10 rockets934life, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

They haven't drafted anyone yet (that wasn't shipped out as part of a trade) who was a college FR or SOPH. Once the Rockets are officially out of the playoffs, a gazillion threads/posts will be made about the upside of this guy or that guy. When the rubber meets the road, the $Balls favor JRs and SRs. Book it.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Feels pretty official to me :( I am ready to try and prepare for a good run starting with next season's tip-off.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks for posting/sharing! Some of those answers sound similar to the one's he gave this morning :p

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

With all of the Stats Geeks running around here...it's a bit to go before it's arithmatically "official". :grin:

15. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks Clutch, very interesting.

About Kyle:

Best last year, best this year. His opinion.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thanks for the read!

Knowing how Morey operates he'll probably find a way for us to absorb a nasty contract to acquire a solid player all the while making a couple moves on the side to lower us below the LT threshold.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Well, with the exception of sub par shooting, Lowry is the complete package. He is a decent ball handler, a pretty good passer, solid defender, has a great nose for long rebounds, hustles constantly, is not a distraction, and has a great attitude. On a team full of defensive pasties and first and second years, it is not that farfetched. The importance of Lowry to our team was very painfully shown last year and this year, everyone else finally sees the Lowry that "Start Lowry over Brooks" minded posters have been seeing.

1 person likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

True, and correct. Yet I can not perceive that there could be a turn-a-round sufficient to make the p/o's, let alone advance.

I believe in the future; I am just not rosy on this season.

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The "We MUST TRADE FOR PICKS" front must feel relieved that's one of the options Morey's looking at.

20. anchel

anchel Member

I recently voted Scola/Martin as our MVP for this season, but the next on my list is of course Kyle. Morey will keep saying good words about any Rockets player no matter his situation, weaknesses or true level... that's just his job. For example, he will keep with the "we are fans of Brooks" or "we loved Landry"... But in the end, the fact that he's picking Kyle as our MVP of last season AND the current season tells you a lot about how they are appraising our players. Not Martin or Luis, Kyle. They are definitely valuing properly (a lot) the defense, competitiveness, leadership... how a player responds at the most difficult situations. Good to know it.