1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman on why Terrence Williams isn't in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This was about an hour and a half ago, after today's practice.

Adelman said there wasn't a spot for Terrence anyway, despite the Rockets trading for him, and that he has worked with the other players on the roster a lot longer.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0UFzbByaKbQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0UFzbByaKbQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2 people like this.
  2. ThaShark316_28

Thanks homie.

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Interesting, thanks. Trade filler :confused:

#3 Tfor3, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

That's a cop out. The team is sucking anyways.

Adelman can play the guy. He just needs to bench Budinger and bump him up in the rotation. Play him with Lee.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Ah so it's based on seniority, not merit.

Interesting...

6. anchel

anchel Member

I understand him, but: "somebody not playing very well"... What about Lee?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not too surprising.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

And what merits Terrence Williams playing over Courtney Lee, Shane Battier, Kevin Martin, or Chase Budinger? A few slick passes with a few turnovers?

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lame excuse is lame. If Terrence is better than other people on our roster, then you play him. End of discussion. He's just reluctant to give the new guy a chance, for whatever reason. Is there any way to find out if Morey actually consulted Adelman on the deal for T-Will? If he didn't, Adelman might be showing some sour grapes.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Fixed.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That makes the assumption that he is better in practice than the guys in front of him, which no one has any indication is the truth.

12. gah

gah Member

One does not exclude the other. Or has Williams obtained more merits throughout his career? Remember what happened last year after we traded for Martin? As soon as that he started and Battier got benched, and isn’t Shane the most “Senior” of our players?

13. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Rick is aiming to lose 50 games this season so he there is no way he can let T-Will get in the game. T-will is going to carry this team to 50 wins with 20 triple doubles :)

I am just not sure what makes Terrence way better than others. Who knows how good he is more than coaches? He looks so good to us because we see him for 6 minutes and he tries his best in 6 minutes he gets. I am sure once he gets 30 minutes game...We are going to have a thread "Trade T-Will NOW!"

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

There are a few things in play here. I appreciate his loyalty to the players that have been here a while. RA has struggled to find a rotation because the whole team is capable of being in the rotation. So why not go with who knows the system in and out?

I can also see where that can cause problems with he and the orginization. RA flat out said there was no room for Williams. Is there now a problem between RA and Morey? Rick sounds frustrated with having a team that basically has comparable talent across the board. I understand if that's where RA is coming from, quite frankly we're all tired of it.

The other thing is, while I appreciate his loyalty to the guys who have been working hard all season, it's not working. Williams clearly has talent and may inject some life to a team that needs CPR.

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end of the RA regime or am I reading to much into it?

1 person likes this.
  15. Pringles

Pringles Member

Relax. How do you know if Terrence is playing better than the other players ahead of him in practice?

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm still not sure if I've ever seen T-Will throw a non-no-look pass.

17. rockets4llday

rockets4llday Member

So wat if we traded for melo would he be benched because he doesn't have a spot because adelman is to loyal!!! I'mean really if someone is better than some one else that's who u play. I think hes being prejudice about it. The white boy can play but not the new black kid

18. Commodore

Adelman said "I've been with these other guys alot longer", implying that time with the team (i.e. seniority) is a factor. Which is fine for a little while, you don't want to disrupt chemistry. But at this point that's not a legitimate reason, we are playing poorly and Terrence has been on the roster for awhile.

BTW, you ask some great questions Clutch, very respectful but direct and challenging, much better than the "professional journalists".

2 people like this.
  19. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Forgot to add: It does not matter what we want this team to do.. what matters is Rick still wants to keep in the playoff hunt as long as he can.

Suppose if a trade happens and we fix some of our problems.. All of a sudden we have a team that can surprise people in the playoffs... In this scenario, if we are hanging around playoff spot.. putting a good streak can get us in playoffs. If we fall back then people will blame Rick for experimenting and killing our chances.

I guess a manager, a coach is always in a lose-lose situation.. No matter what he does, people will find reason to blame him.

In this situation, I would rather let an 900 wins experienced coach make decision before ....

20. Commodore

I definitely took this as a subtle dig at Morey, and there is some truth to it.

But in defense of Morey, this is not the final design of the roster. Assets are being hoarded until something better comes along.