1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Braun Tests Positive for PED

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MadMax, Dec 10, 2011.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

They said his levels were the highest of all time and doubled the most amount...

I mean, even if he didn't mean to take them (every athlete says that), his career is tainted because of ESPN trying to be the first source to report it..

So sad..

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So... Consider the source, but:

http://www.terezowens.com/more-on-ryan-brauns-herpes-situation/

Well, if true, this is awkward.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The test/epitest ratio test is old and if I remember correctly, easily beatable.

5. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Eh, not that awkward these days, when one in four or five Americans has herpes.

A little more awkward because he's well-known, sure, but I know Jeter has herpes because Jessica Alba caught it from him. Price of celebrity.

Now to go laugh at the fact that while Braun has a temporary MVP trophy, I don't have warts on my dick.

6. aghast

aghast Member

Fixed.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

8. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Good for him since he doesn't have to sit out 50 games. Downside though is now everyone knows he has herpes :eek:

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

What!?

10. juicystream

Read this page, it was a rumor as to why he failed the test. According to ESPN, he got off by attacking the exchange of the samples along the way, not the actual positive result. Basically saying it could have been compromised along the way.

11. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

What I don't understand about this is they found out he had like 4 times the amount of testosterone in his test. Why would they just assume the test was correct? That seems like a major red flag that something wasn't right with that sample. When you have an outlier like that in a laboratory, you do more trials. You don't just jump to a conclusion.

12. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Edit that. He had twice the amount of the largest drug test ever failed in the MLB.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Reports that the MLB front office is livid resulted in me making sweet sweet love to my wife last night. Best news I've heard all week!

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Innocent or guilty, MLB sound really incompetent in all of this. Braun had offered to take a 2nd test and a DNA test. MLB refused.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Chain of custody... sorry, but you can leave the MVP's urine in your fridge overnight before dropping it off at Fedex.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The article never mentions herpes, and certainly doesn't paint a clear picture one way or the other. A lot of the article points to the fact that despite the policy not being followed to the T, the results still were what they were and the policy mishap shouldn't have impacted them.

Alternatively it appears as if Braun offered to do a lot to prove he was innocent, some (or all) of which MLB refused to consider??

I don't know who to believe.

I do think the one point with regards to clean athletes is fair. IF Braun did cheat, this is a slap in the face to clean athletes.

17. juicystream

Of course it didn't. Who would believe that rumor?

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He supposedly left it on his desk. Creepy.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I've never really cared about PEDs in baseball. It's entertainment. It's not like anyone cares about football players juicing. I think it's stupid that some people think that he should be suspended anyway, or that the fact that he used a technicality to get off is somehow an admission of guilt. Fact is, pointing out the procedural **** up was simply the easiest way to win his case. That doesn't mean he's admitting to using, just that the best way to win was to invalidate the means used to determine his guilt.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm torn. No evidence of contamination, but the opportunity did exist, and the results are amplified. Urine samples sit around all the time, so that's not a big deal, other than this collector had an opportunity. Though i suspect he just made a poor decision. Braun probably did it, but there is definately doubt. So I think the arbitrator made the right decision. But for Braun to tell me he didn't get stronger, faster, that's a bit silly when you have an MVP trophy that he didn't have before. A simple solution is to put him into a higher class of testing ( increased frequency ) and see what happens so that he can prove his innocence to the doubters, and baseball is assured he's not cheating. Maybe that's unfair to Braun, but this is the path to clear his name. Anything less and I believe 50% of the people will still think he did it, right or wrong.