1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Time] Chinese officials want Lin on National Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Feb 22, 2012.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because he is not related to any political stuff.
    It's a sports decision. Even a non related Kirilenko could work something out with China if he decides to join China
    This has nothing to do with anything above mentioned, it's a sports decision.

Taiwan is not as independent as you think.
    If China cut its economic ties with Taiwan, that would be a huge loss.
    That is the reason they have a China friendly President who advocates for a better partnership with Mainland China. They are dependent.

2. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

It's the Olympics--where each country is represented by their own players. Sorry, but develop your own damn players.

I was okay with Hakeem playing for the US since he developed in the US and was naturalized.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No chance he could make the US team. I think if he has a chance to play in the Olympics he should do it. I am sure sure would allow a waiver for him.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

do you have any idea what you are talking about? Us does that in other sports all the time.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seconded.

China has its second tier table tennis players playing all across the globe for European, African, other Asian countries.....

Because they have the best talent pool they do not care.

[​IMG]

6. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

There must be, probably not high-profile ones.

One example, Alex Tian Hua, a Chinese equestrian who was born in London. He gave up his British citizenship at age 18 just to be able to be on the 2008 Olympics team of China.

If China changes the dual-citizenship rule, people like Patrick Chan (top skater) and Jeremy Chan are very likely to jump the ship for larger endorsement deals.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How many thousands of athletes played in the 2008 Olympics? One athlete is as as low as you can go without saying zero. It's uncommon as I said. Or even worse, it's rare. Some people are making it sound like it happens all the time.

8. heartofachamp34

/endthread

9. heartofachamp34

Huge loss you say? And yet, Taiwan's economy was humming along just fine in the 60s - 80s while the mainland was stuck in third world status.

You really think China would have grown at the pace it has the past 2 decades without the vast investment pouring in to its Special Economic Zones from Taiwanese businessmen and entrepreneurs?

China friendly President? No, just a smart president that knows China's got about a couple thousand nukes pointed at his nation's population centers, along with S. Korea and Japan. That's like saying the parent of a kidnapped child is 'friendly' with the kidnappers asking for the ransom. But then again, I suppose it must be difficult for you mainlanders to tell the difference between coercion and free will.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

no hard feelings... why don't you discuss that in the hangout.
    this should be about sports. Just pointed out they are linked together.
    and through sports.

Calling me personal names that I am not, does not end the argument.
    It is my 2 cents if I were an atheist.
    take it or leave it.

12. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Man, what if China had both Lin and Yao? How would they rank on the international level? Obviously not first because of the US, but still...

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I add.... I am not mainland friendly but I try to be fair. China apart from its politics is quite nice if you can get used to it. Ask Steph Starbury

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

right. if lin were to join china, wait for taiwan to declare war on china.r

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That must be something. A single player could be reason for war?

No. It was not Michael Jordan.

16. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Now you are delusional. The economy now is a world based economy, China is a integral part of it and can not be ignored. Talking about 60-80s, we don't live at the 60s or 80s anymore. Taiwan's biggest export by far is mainland China, at 80Billion a year, second place, HK, 40B, and guess who owns HK?

You get the idea.

JLin proly won't do it, too much hassle and I don't see the benefit for him, since he's already too popular and proly will sign lots of commercial deals, show deals, tours etc.. He's getting the Kobe status over there in China.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe the Olympics should do a draft thing. Parity, you know. It's kind of boring with the same few countries dominating every time.

18. bx2vio

bx2vio New Member

19. bx2vio

bx2vio New Member

btw the video's sound clip is super annoying!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Visually better than all the other guards