1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

You have to bank on him signing with us during FA. If we got Howard and Dwill you want to keep Martin. You need a serious 3 ball threat on that team. Martin is one of the best in the league at doing that and he is already here.

In addition Parsons/Morris and Pat would work perfect next to those 3 because all they would have to worry about is playing legit D, and taking open shots. Something they are fully capable of doing.

I'm curious if we'd be able to keep the Bear, or if we'd have to move him for space to make a play at Dwight in FA.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I would in no way trade lowry + more for Deron unless it was 100% we couldn't get Dwight without doing it and 100% we would get him if he did do it.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I actually think Deron Williams is the best point guard in the league (but you wouldn't know it from his time in NJ). I guess i'd have to pull the trigger on that deal, but i would do it with a very heavy heart. If Lowry keeps improving, the difference between the two players will become somewhat marginal, and Lowry is younger and cheaper. In fact, if Lowry can continue on is current trajectory, players will want to come to Houston just to play with him. As of now, i'd do the deal, but I may feel differently by the end of the year, depending on if Lowry keeps amazing me. Williams is the more skilled player without a doubt though.

For those who don't like the "race to entice superstars" as the key to getting the franchise back on track, another option would be to trade away some of our vets and young assets to add another key piece through the draft, and build around lowry.

4. arjun

arjun Member

Everyone is saying Dwill has played bad this season...well truth is, he has played bad for his level..but his "bad" is still almost equal to kyle lowry's "great"

Dwill: 18 pts 8 assist 3 reb
    KLo: 17 pts 8 assist 6 reb

Granted, Klo does have Dwill beat on FG% and 3pt% pretty good..not to mention rebounding..however Dwill does have potential to kick it back to his old jazz days of shooting 50% fg...dwill is the better player. like i said, his "bad" is klows "great"

Dwill is the way to go -- if possible.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My two cents on this is that criticism of Daryl Morey's ability to land a top NBA superstar may or may not have some legitimacy, but his ability to find tremendous value at either a low trade cost or a low salary is pretty much unquestioned. I can't think of a better GM to have than Daryl if the superstars are in place. That last part is a big "if" of course.

I wouldn't worry at all about the team getting solid role players around a pair of stars.

Personally I don't see any chance of that happening. Who could the Rockets give up that would make it worthwhile for New Jersey? The Nets gave up two top lottery picks (Favors and Kanter), another potential lotto pick (GSW's pick this year, top-7 protected) and Devin Harris... they're going to want recoup their losses if they end up dealing Williams.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think it makes too much sense to me. As stated a long time ago, the realistic chance to get howard is greater than anything or any draft pick. Getting williams starts the process going forward. To me, morey's strength is the ability to find role players. The rocket current roster is full of role players. A possible williams deal gives them a chance to clean up their roster.

Williams for lowry,scola,and morris makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways. From a nj perspective, they get a cheap, productive guy in lowry, a older scola on a good contract, and a guy like morris who was a 1st rd pick. That would still leave the rockets with martin,parsons,patterson,and dally as starters this year. That kind of trade would kee the rockets on pace toward the 7th or 8th seed. In the offseason, they would sill have enough to sign williams and offer a contract to howard. The good thing is, they will still have enough solid to good players and picks to continue to upgrade the team. you hve martin as a 3rd option type, you have a really good team.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We're definitely a team that can give the Nets the hook-up. What can we include? Any but of course not all:

Lowry.

Scola.

Marcus Morris wouldn't mind playing so close to Philly, and with McHale's favorite white boy as our starting 3, we don't need Morris as badly (although I'd like to see what he can give us).

Take off the draft protection on our pick owed them.

NY pick.

If the Nets had some combo of our players, they'd already have some chemistry. They'd be on the outside looking in, however, as far as cap space/attempts to lure All Stars (although Lowry might get there this year, knock on wood).

It's just, this will be a loooooong waiting game, because Orlando and New Jersey will be reluctant to part with their Name Players. Then they run into the whistling-through-the-graveyard approach that helped Cleveland lose LeBron and Toronto lose Bosh, for virtually nothing.

EDIT: And by the way, if we don't land one or both of these guys, believe me, Mark Cuban will move heaven and earth to do so. Not saying he well. But if ever existed a c***-blocker outside of Stern himself, Cuban is it.

#147 ROXTXIA, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your logic doesn't fly. If you made $1000 from $1 and then flipped that $1000 for $500, did you make a great move by making $500 from $1? No. Why would you waste the money you made the first time?

9. arjun

arjun Member

his logic does not make sense...but i do understand wat he means..and in your terminology its more like this :

flip $1 to get $1000...then flip that $1000 for $900 with the $100 investment togive yourself the chance at earning $2000 more...final outcome $2900 vs $1000... :grin::grin::grin:

10. Asian Sensation

Your logic doesn't fly. So you're saying Kyle Lowry is $1000 and Deron Williams is $500?

I realize Lowry is playing out of his mind and I also realize he's 2 years younger and cheaper but Deron Williams is worth more than Lowry. Especially if you factor in the fact that Deron Williams will increase your chance to make more "money".

11. Asian Sensation

Yea... something like this. LOL.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

While I agree this is what they want, one thing we need to note is that what NJ traded for was Deron Williams with 1 1/2 year left on his contract, what they will be selling is Deron Williams with 1/2 season left on his contract (and who, by the way, doesn't look like he wants to stay there judging by his performance).

In the end, I believe the question is what NJ can get from the market rather than what they want and that value is more than likely quite a bit less than what NJ paid. If a team has cap room and knows Deron Williams has a desire to join them as FA, they may be better off waiting to acquire him without giving up anything in return. The only incentive for such a team to offer NJ something right now would be to beat out another team which Deron has interest in joining (the team that Deron is on as of the end of the current season can offer him 1 more year and 3 more % annual raise in free agency compared to other teams).

So, the relevant questions, I think, are:

1. Which teams would Deron Williams be willing to play for next year?

and

2. What would each of these teams be willing and able to offer the NJ Nets?

For example, you mentioned that Deron is from Dallas. If he is open to signing with Houston and Dallas (and for simplicities sake, lets say no other team with sufficient cap room can entice Deron), what Morey offers should be basically what it takes to beat Dallas' offer-- and I am not sure Dallas has much to give considering the age of their roster.

13. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

It Nets wanted to do it and Howard came with him then yes. But Nets will not trade him and Howard does not want to come to Houston. No superstar wants to come to Houst

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

You are assuming Lowry's performance is unsustainable, and DWill is in a temporary slump. It's possible but what if either assumption is wrong?

What if the yonger and much cheaper Lowry can sustain and improve from this level? What if DWill is actually begin his gradual decline?

And how about 2 years younger and 3 times cheaper? And throw in other valuable players and/or picks?Not to mention Lowry has more defense/hussle/clutchness as of now. Actually he's ranked 2nd in PER and DWill is 22nd.

15. arjun

arjun Member

i honestly believe that dwight wants to win more than giong to a big market....say for example okc would trade westbrook for howard..and orlando was ready to accept...i think howard would LOVE to go to OKC and play with KD

16. stmeph

stmeph Member

All of this may hold true for Deron Williams and Dwight Howard, but I don't see how any of this is motivational to New Jersey to deal Williams in the first place.

Even if Williams designates Houston as a preferred destination, can we necessarily put together a more attractive package than other teams, especially draft picks? What about teams that are willing to take on a rental for the same chance at the Howard lottery?

I like the circumstances, but just don't see what we can do to pry Williams away from NJN.

17. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

if we have deron signing an extension of course, but he would probably have to overtalk it with dwight ;)
    anyways no risk no fun rockets have to do something cause staying in the middle wont get us anywhere. now that kyle is playing at such a high level we should sell high alongside the aging scola. go for it get d-will and dwight the rest of our supporting cast is great enough to win the championship.

first landry and then lowry would be a pain in the ass though :D

juck the fazz

18. arjun

arjun Member

dude what other team can make a package for dwill? i dont think the lakers will trade either of bynum (gasol wont be enough) for dwill THIS season, maybe in the offseason if they had a shot at howard..

the only other team could be the warriors...i can see them dealing curry for dwill...but dwight already did say he didnt want to play in golden state.

who else is left? maybe atlanta? but who do they have that the nets would want? horford?

there arent that many teams that can trade or that would trade of dwill this season.

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I just can't see NJ trading Williams after giving up so much to get him. Even if Lowry makes the All star team, the owner will stay optimistic that he can either deal or sign Howard in the off season. If it backfires, I'll get greedy and propose this:

Trade Martin for a pick and expiring contract (ex. trade to Boston for 1st round pick + Green)
    Trade Lowry after end of season for a stud SF (ex. trade Lowry for Batum. Ramon Felton is a FA end of year, and Lowry + LA + Wallace will be deadly combo for Portland. We get a young stud, defensive SF).
    Sign Williams
    Sign D. Howard
    Waive Dalembert
    Keep Scola / Lee / persons / PP

See, that was easy :grin:

20. ashiin

ashiin Member

Unless we're getting Dwight Howard with Deron, I don't understand why we would make this trade. Having Deron around doesn't make Houston a better destination, I mean just look at the Nets.