1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKETS: Q&A With Daryl Morey: Rockets' GM Talks Shop

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by reupdadj1, Dec 18, 2009.

1. reupdadj1

reupdadj1 Member

Rockets' GM talks trades, Trevor and Russ vs. Wilt

Jason Friedman
    Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON - The Rockets recently passed the quarter-pole mark of the '09-'10 regular season, so it seemed like the perfect time to catch up with General Manager Daryl Morey. What follows is the transcript of our converation, one which touches on a variety of subjects including the club's stockpiling of assets, team building philosophy and Morey's unique spin on a nickname which he can't seem to escape (no matter how much he tries).

I think its a good read but if already posted or mentioned please delete!!!!

ROCKETS: Q&A with Daryl Morey: Rockets' GM Talks Shop

Comments Appreciated.....

Its my first post so enjoy :grin: :grin: :grin:

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I found this part hilarious:

Translation

DM: Screw you Jason Friedman. Don't make me say anything that will get quoted back to my ass when I sit down with these guys' agent in the offseason. Ask me this again and you are fired.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

My favorite answer... and why I continue to adore Daryl Morey...

That makes me happy.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Highlights for me:

5. Hayesfan

The other comment that struck me was when he's talking about the broadcasters saying "stop shooting threes".

Who was he talking about? Bill and Bull? I must have missed that because I muted the tv to work on homework while I watched. I guess I need to go back and watch the end again.

6. Depressio

What are you, a COF (Clyde Only Fan)?!

7. Hayesfan

I'm confused on exactly what you mean there??

Are you asking because I muted the tv when Bill and Bull were on?

No I had a final and I was trying to study while I semi-watched the game and chatted with the fine folks in chat. Listening to B & B makes it difficult to do all those things at once.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If the Rox are Target, what are the Knicks.....Ross???

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its interesting that he went with Russell over Chamberlain. Maybe he just didn't want to anger Bill Simmons. But if adjusted +/- is the key measure he looks at (taking his response on that particular question semi-seriously), then perhaps that's what he's going by when he said that Ariza is better than last year?

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

My favorite one... ;)

11. bjshot

bjshot Member

in term of team building, I understood what Morey did now and then. Find the winners. I can't agree him more. How do we define the winner?

1, play it right way (high BBIQ, play hard always)
    2, healp the team win (make teammates look better)
    3, young players will develop best and fast in a winning environment (once a loser, always loser.)
    4, Shane Chulk and Luis is on the top of the list of winners. (which is the 3 Rockets whom I like most)
    5, adjustable +/- will be the better stat to define a winner.

So clutch fans, forget about gay and randoph. Forget about the freakish atheletic. This team proves that BB is a team sport. If you play harder and smarter, you can win a lot of game even in NBA. if you play hard and smart with a superstar, you will win the WC.

In terms of team building, I think the team building has been the same. We just like to get guys who are winners. It’s pretty simple. We like guys who play the right way and focus on the team and on winning. I think what’s really been the story of our start is that a team full of those guys can really make an impact.

DM: But I think we’re making that ambiguous term real. With $40 million not playing, we’re still winning and still 14-11 against the hardest schedule in the league. So I think, even though it’s a nebulous term, it’s also factual. It comes from Coach Adelman and his philosophy, as well as my philosophy and the captains of the team – Shane, Chuck and Luis. It permeates from the top down but those are the kind of guys we like.

DM: No, I've got a real answer for you. One thing that sticks with me is a conversation I had with Jeff Van Gundy early on and it’s really true; as usual, the best things are simple, right? Obviously you want to develop players but I think what we’re doing now is what he talked about that day: we were talking about having valuable players, like a high pick in the draft with a lot of potential. But there’s also another way to have players be valuable in this league and that’s to win. If you just win, then people realize that your players help you win, so I think in terms of the team building strategy, we just decided, ‘Hey, we’ll just win.’

12. bjshot

bjshot Member

Adjusted +/- is obviously the best stat that show your ability to help team to win.

13. Depressio

Yes, that.

... but a joke.

14. durvasa

Sure, assuming you can determine each player's adjusted +/- accurately.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Remember he was also a former Celtics employee?

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I wish someone would explain to Jason and every reporter or columnist that if you don't understand horse racing lingo then don't use it. The quarter pole starts the last quarter of a horse race not the end of the 1st quarter. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

17. vince

vince Member

Morey is a great interview to listen to. Very open to answering questions.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Is Ariza's adjusted +/- higher or lower this season than it was last year?

19. Hayesfan

Gotcha.. just wanted to make sure I understood. :)

20. durvasa

I don't think the difference, as per the basketballvalue calculations, is significant enough to answer one way or the other.