1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Do The Rockets Go From Here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketkid713, May 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not frustrated or upset in any way about the current state of the Rockets. We have been without Yao for a very short time. As long as the Rockets had some hope that Yao could make a comeback, they were really obligated to be in win now mode. Yao was the Superstar that the team was to be built around. When Yao started getting injured, it put the Rockets in a difficult position. They didn't want to start a rebuilding process as long as there was still a glimmer of hope that Yao could return. It was a long shot that Yao could return and be a force again, but that was what they were hoping for and I can't blame them for that.

Morey did make some moves that they thought might pay some huge returns if everything worked out. But, unfortunately Jordan Hill, Thabeet, and Terrence Williams were all busts for the Rockets. Morey was also trying to pair up Gasol and Nene, a move I wasn't crazy about, but a move that proves that Morey isn't content to just sit back and do nothing.

I think we are in a position to improve over the next few years. A lot of changes are in store in the near future. If the Rockets can sign Dragic and trade Lowry for something of value that's a big plus. Martin is in the last year of his contract this next year, so that's something that could benefit the Rockets. In addition to our two first round picks this season, we will also be adding Motiejūnas to the Roster, so that will make us much younger, and probably more athletic team.

The Rockets are not stuck with a bunch a bad contracts. Scola will make around 10 million for the next three seasons, but that isn't bad at all compared to someone like an Amare Stoudemire, who is basically untradeable. If the Rockets wanted to trade Scola they probably could.

I've been watching the Rockets since 1971, when they moved to Houston. So, I've seen a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes it just takes some patients to allow things to work out. So, next year we may have Dragic as our PG for the future. We will probably have an improved Parsons at small forward. Motiejūnas will be added to the front line. Morris may find a way to show us what he can do. Maybe a new player or draft pick in return for Lowry. And, a couple of first round draft choices. I'm Ok with all that at this point.

I'm sure Morey will continue to try an pull off the big trade, and that's really all I can ask for. The Rockets have chosen not to blow up the team and give away all their most desirable players for nothing, and I can accept that. Many teams blow their team up and it takes a decade or more to recover, so I can see why the Rockets are hesitant to rush down that road. I'm looking forward to seeing what next years team looks like.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

exactly. /thread /reading "hoopsworld"

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1171346-nba-free-agency-2012-most-pressing-need-for-all-30-teams

I know alot of posters frown upon bleacher report, but this article gives good insight to who teams maybe targeting in free agency (and what needs they might have for the draft).

For the Rockets, obviously, the most glaring need cited was center/power forward. In reality, nearly every position should be open for upgrade, except maybe starting SF, even then if there is a good small forward we can get our hands on by chance. I wouldn't have any problems moving Parsons to the bench or parting ways with him.

1 person likes this.
  4. albuster

albuster Member

This is a really great post. Repped.

5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i stopped reading after that

6. dmoneybangbang

Going 34-23 isn't solid? Or are you that naive to put the collaspe all on the coach?

7. dmoneybangbang

Thank you for your post of reasoning and sanity. Sometimes this board reads like an emo teenager's diary, "woe as me", "purgatory this", "treadmill of mediocrity that", etc. People just need to learn some patience and educate themselves on context. Context being we a just a few years removed from when Yao finally went down.

We Rockets, whether people want to acknowledge it or not, are in a great position for the future. People just need to enjoy the ride.

1 person likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Incorrect. Playoffs gives your too experience and makes your players look better (for trades) and makes your team look better. And generally... teams don't go straight from not making playoffs to championships. So perhaps you should learn patience.

9. Pete the Cheat

That would be pretty good...but we were 34-32

10. dmoneybangbang

Haha, stupid fat fingers. But yes 34-32 is solid for a coach with experience like McHale's, especially considering the lockout.

11. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Why we don't need Deron Williams as he alluded to? Do we have a better solution?

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

:eek:
    Sorry..called the election before the polls closed. It may not be "80%" but...

Close to 1 out of every 3 voters thought 14 + 16 gets you Top 5. That's a fact...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=7989

And it's self-delusional.

However, every year we go through the same Morey media hype about moving up. It's not happening again this year. If 10 or better is as "doable" as you (and 90% of the poll) suggest, I suggest a Tip Jar bet.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I dont see top 5, either, but the poll question was not what 14 and 16 gets you, but how high they can get with all of their players, picks, and assets in a trade. Check out the first post in that thread.