1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1510 Polk St, Mar 22, 2012.

?

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

1. Kyle

221 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Goran

118 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And there ladies and germs is the crux of my thoughts exactly.

The thing is that I don't think Lowry would be satisfied like that, and he might start pouting like AB did.

DD

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's a fair point. And if both players accepted and embraced those roles, I'd for it.

But if only it was that simple -- two big factors also need to be considered.

(1) Player psychology -- Lowry obviously wouldn't be happy about being "demoted" when he's played well as a starter and lead us to a better-than-expected record
    (2) Contract situation -- Lowry is locked in to an extremely favorable contract, and Dragic is an unrestricted FA who will be hard to retain

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

Even if Lowry pouted, I think it would be more manageable than the AB situation.

Brooks was in a contract year. He pouted and was traded for Dragic and a 1st.(what a great trade that turned out to be.)

Lowry on the books for many more years on a very favorable contract. Should he pout, we don't necessarily have to trade him immediately. What could make some sense would be to simply sign and guarantee the starting spot to Goran first, then trade Kyle this offseason while his value is high around the league.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pout Pout.... haha
    or Tweet tweet their way out......;)

5. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Morey Loves Lowry tho...so Doubt Lowry going anywhere anytime soon unless a big superstar willin to come

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I tend to ignore pyscology in sports because I can't control that. If someone doesn't want to do whats best for the team, well whatever.

7. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Jacking up 3's 2-3 feet behind the 3 point line is more sg than pg so yes he seems to play sometimes more like a SG. I don't know why you would curse to that. Your weird

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If he was doing that at the wrong times I would agree with you, but he limits those 3 point heaves to end of shot clock and end of quarter 2 for 1 situations.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why is everyone on Goran's bandwagon after 10 games? That was exactly the same thing with Brooks and now with Lowry.
    You build stability and integrity @ PG an important spot.

You need at least to give our starting PG two years to grow.....
    Man we can't ship one or the other after one season..... It's not like there is much better PGs than Lowry.... Maybe 3 or 4... and a couple that are marginal better. And not many PGs that can start and backup like Dragon.

Try to keep Dragon while giving Lowry one or two more years as a starter.
    I know it's a hard decision. Again We are lucky to have both

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You're telling me that the location of Lowry's feet when he hires threes is the key thing in defining his position.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Again, Lowry, including his off games, has produced basicly on par with Dragic playing way above his career numbers.

Lowry for the season- 35.4 min, 15.9 ppg, 7.2 ast, 3.2 TO, 1.8 STL REB 5.3
    Dragic as a starter- 36.3 min, 15.9 ppg, 9.6 ast, 3.3 TO, 1.9 STL REB 3.5

Parsons and Scola are playing better with Dragic as the starter than they did at the start of the year, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is because of Dragic. Scola was playing equal or even better than this last year with Lowry starting. Scola was also coming into the season off knee surgery and it is equally possible that Parsons is doing "better" because Lowry and Martin are out and he is asked to carry more of the scoring load or that he is just improving with experience.

We can only speculate if these guys have played "better" because of Dragic, or if Lowry's numbers would improve even more because these guys are starting to play better on their own. Or if this is just a hot streak that neither Lowry or Dragic has any significant effect on. Certainly Lowry has a longer sample of games to look at with this level of production and it is unlikely they will resign Dragic without paying him significantly more than Lowry. Some may argue that money doesn't matter, but it absolutely does unless you believe Dragic is going to be a franchise player. Even if Dragic can maintain his current level you are talking about a minor upgrade in production over what Lowry has done, so how much salary cap do you want to dedicate to that? Les should pay whatever is needed to get stars, but overpaying players who have good runs is how you end up with Moochie Norris/Matt Maloney/Kelvin Cato contracts on your books.

I'm all for trading Lowry if you can get a major piece in return and Dragic can both be resigned at a reasonable price and continue to play at this level or higher. I think some people have made that decision a bit fast though, especially in comparison to how quickly they were or were not willing to replace Brooks with Lowry.

Also you can't complain about the GM treating the players like "assets" any more if you want to replace the best player on the team because the back up has played well for ~2 weeks in his place.

2 people like this.
  12. durvasa

Right or wrong, there are real benefits (in terms of respect around the league and from the media, better job security, and opportunity to play for a bigger contract) that come from being a starter. Its one thing to ask a player to go to the bench because someone else is a better player in the starting lineup. If that's the argument, fine. Its debatable. However, if the argument is more that Dragic struggles playing off the bench compared to Lowry, which to me definitely appears to be the case, then that will be a very hard sell. You'd essentially be punishing Lowry for being better than Dragic as a reserve. Its hard to blame Lowry if he takes issue with that.

13. larsv8

Maybe I am in the minority, I don't view starting as a reward or coming off the bench as a punishment.

14. doktor

doktor Member

who has this season more double-double or triple-doubles and the same thing as a starer. It seems to me Dragic makes it easier.

15. durvasa

Ideally, the players wouldn't either. But the fact is there are undeniable benefits that come from being a starter. Its not just an imagined prestige thing. Its real.

16. larsv8

:rolleyes:

Dragic: 52%, 42%, 82%
    Lowry: 42%, 39%, 87%

17. Camarograna2

Again I repeat myself... Way better to watch our PG not cry to refs after each single possesion

18. Camarograna2

The claim was from someone else saying that Lowry was more of a sg than a pg. I agree. Move on Lowry is old news. Improve and improve for the cheapest price of course. These players don't care about us. Just about money so stop slob bing there knob

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Of course those numbers are significantly higher than what Dragic has produced off the bench this year or over his career and the most likely to decline close to his career numbers over a larger sample size in my opinion

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Dragic: 10 games
    Lowry: 38 games