1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik in the low post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jondoe, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jondoe

jondoe Member

It baffles me that they throw the ball into Asik every so often and everyone clears out for him to go to work. Seriously? I'm not knocking Asik, but he couldn't score in the post if Mugsy Bogues was watching him. Yet Mchale seems to think it is a good way to spend a possession. Everytime I see this happen, I cover my ears so the CLANG! sound doesn't ruin my hearing.

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

They want him to develop his low post game...and it went well few times, of course it will take some time but its worh the effort cause he has the potential...i guess you sometime stifle your own potential in some areas of your life due to low tolerance to stupid mistakes

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's got to learn somehow. As long as it's not happening too often..

4. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

you seriously see some potential at the Offensive end for Asik?

I thought he was brought here for defense.....

5. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

^and rebounding

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Trial by Fire.

7. gah

gah Member

Am I the only one who thinks his jump-hook looks decent? even though he has missed most of them, he shows good form and good touch. I think we should continue going to him for a couple possessions in the first quarter.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The timing is just wrong though.

We were down by like 11, needed a score...post up Asik.

Really? That's when you try things out? You need to score, go to something that has a shot at actually working.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didn't see it, but my guess is they felt he had a good chance of scoring. That close to the rim, the percentages actually aren't that bad. If he times it well, he could score fairly easily.

If teams keep treating him as a defensive-only center, how will anyone ever know if he does have potential? The team is paying him already, they've got to get the most they can from him.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

The thing with Omer is that he has probably been hitting those shots in practice but it just isn't translating in games. That is kind of how I see the situation happening.

11. sidestep

sidestep Member

I agree it makes sense to try to develop some kind of offense for him. If Asik is not contributing any offense, that starter lineup is really hard pressed.

Question is whether it is better to spend possessions having him post up, or working on his PnR skills. The problem with having him do high PnR is that he poses no threat as pick and pop and cannot roll well to the rim that far out where he has to put the ball on the floor some. In which case, it's not really pick and roll but just a pick for the ball handler. That situation also makes it really easy to double team the ballhandler since Asik poses no offensive threat that far out. We've already seen Harden get double teamed many times by Asik's man. Asik fares better doing PnR closer to the bucket but the paint is really crowded like that.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I see the potential for him to dunk and make point blank layups with consistency. Surely this doable.

13. torocan

torocan Member

If we want Asik to develop any kind of offensive game, he needs the opportunities to apply what he's doing in practice to live games.

Yes, it's ugly sometimes, but the core form isn't bad. He's mostly figuring it out, just like alot of the team.

I'm basically considering the first month to be an extended practice against live opposition while they sort out the sets, timing and core chemistry issues.

Even then I don't expect it to be terribly smooth. This stuff doesn't happen overnight, and fans who are going to worry about it are just stressing themselves out unnecessarily.

14. M4-Nightvision

anyone see the 2 alley oops from Harden to Asik? since when Asik do alley oops?

15. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I am sorry.... but I have been watching basketball since 1978...

its bad enough with Centers who come into the league...with an offensive skill set to begin with...

usually it takes 3 to 5 years for them to develop and learn the game...

I cant imagine how long it would take, or if that can happen with a guy with almost no offensive skill set or athletic ability compared to other centers in the league...

16. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I dont see it...especially if there is a defender on him...

I see him better at offensive rebounds and put backs

rather than back to the basket, break your defender down

dont get me wrong I think he is already a great rebounder... and a solid defender,...

if he is lucky enough to develop an offensive game... chances are he will be signed somewhere else...

maybe its just me but the center position has always been my favorite
    and im more critical of it

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should just pass it out everytime. Even if it's a fastbreak and he's all by himself.

18. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

I really like the signing from a defensive side of the ball, he is great rebounding, and on offensive rebounds, but he needs to dunk the ball, dont be fancy, just dunk it. He seems to be doing better at the free throw line this year.

19. torocan

torocan Member

Not sure I'd say pass it out when he's by himself, but he should consider passing it out when he's in traffic under the basket if he can't get the putback.

At least until his under the rim offensive game improves.

20. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

yes until he gets a softer touch... he needs to just take it up strong and dunk it