1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is it just me? I see Jeremy Lin making progress here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Nov 13, 2012.

1. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I have been following Lin's play since last season. It is now obvious to me that he has made tremendous progress toward being a complete player on both end of court. I was a doubter that his defense will ever be better than Nash in his prime, but I think Lin is a much better defender in these recent games. He has very active hands, and is very good at anticipation of the oponent's passing or driving lanes. He still tends to over help a little, but he is defitnately on his way.

On the offensive end, he protects the ball much better now. His TO' numbers keep dropping. He is much less TO-prone now than Harden. To me, that shows he is learning to play in a more controlled fashion. The results shows progress.

However, his production did regress a little. He now plays very concervatively, with much less slashes or penetrations. He gave up the ball very early in the game now. I think Harden's ability to make plays has marginalized Lin a little. For Lin to become more effective for the Rockets, he needs to be a better "catch-and-shoot" player. He needs to be better at being a shooting guard. He needs to be more comfortable doing "catch-and-shoot" to be trusted with another opportunity in clutch time.

Granted he shot a wide open air ball with 10 sec left, but being this young and this inexperienced, I'd give him some more clutch opportunities before labelling him a "choker" or a "joke".

2 people like this.
  2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

your spot on brother... Lin is progressing and becoming a better player....what fools people that someone is regressing or not being good player is they think then he must play excellent each night....notihing could be more further from truth...

the progress in each and every human endeavor is rarely linear function and is made in sparks and spurts...and the learning curve almost always has many downs...i think it's because the human nervous system is made that way...whenever the skills are improving and the new learnings are occuring or new habits are being introduced the existing skills seems like stagnating or even going backward

its because the work is in progress in the nervous system and there is an ongoing process of new synapses and neural pathways being in process of formation and the old one being in process of removal...just like computer slowing down when many programs are running simultaneously...

2 people like this.
  3. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

I guess I must be too old. Back in 1997 playoff, you can see a legendary air ball three times with the game on the line (overtime). One of them was wide open shot, but a miss is a miss I guess. Now he is considered one of the greatest. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfBwH6W8GKs

Before you LOH attack me, I am not saying Lin is going to be like Kobe. Heck no! I am just saying that even the best does it sometimes.

4. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

well, his defense is improving at least

5. jocar

jocar Member

I think his TO's have dropped because he lost his confidence and doesn't cut to the hole anymore; maybe no one to dish off to in the paint plays into that as well. I'd rather have TO's and FT's as a byproduct of aggressive attacking, than to watch him camp the 3 point line. Good news..no way but up from here.

6. kinein

kinein Member

The defensive stop on Lebron James in the 4th was huge. Along with other defensive plays he made in that game.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WRONG.

Those were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS.

1. Kobe was a rookie and he was handling the ball himself and decided to be the hero and shoot a 3 with SOMEONE IN HIS FACE.
    Kobe WANTED to be the HERO in the PLAYOFFS.

2. Lin was passed the ball and was COMPLETELY WIDE OPEN. His shot looked like it was lacking any confidence at all.

If your point is that good players miss shots, that's fine.
    What worries me was that shot was completely off and showed no confidence.

If Harden was open, Lin would have passed it to him.
    Kobe wouldn't pass the ball , he wants to be the hero.

Lin has lost some of his swagger, and he needs to get it back.

8. JorgePenha

JorgePenha Member

the big problem is we are playing at wrong offensive strategy.

we need ball movement

9. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I was laughing when I saw Lin try to guard LeBron, but surprisingly he held his own.

10. dchoye

dchoye Member

I am a Lin fan and have follow him here since with the Knicks.
    I dont like to post much but since the air ball last night I have to say the Rockets fans should be allow to show their displeasure with Lin.
    He's play so much better with the Knicks last season, when he was in jeopardy of being cut.
    Now with the security of a starting PG position, Lin just isnt the same.
    He's not as smart , aggressive or confident with the ball like during the "linsanity" period.
    Still a Lin fan but if you reading this Jeremy, do you really want a trade/be benched talk to motivate you ?

11. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Obviously his TO drops because he's playing conservatively which mean doesn't attack the basket as aggressively as he used to. He was FEARLESS attacking the basket during the Linsanity. I don't like Lin's game playing conservatively, i want to see an aggressive player keep attacking until the opponent succumb to your authority. You have to remember, opponents fear you because of your ability to attack....but if you're not EVEN trying to attack at all (as seen in all of the games even dating back in NY when Melo was in the lineup), you're basically making it easy for opponents to guard you or less worry. It is also one reason he got high FG% because of easy layup by attacking the basket. If he's just going to shoot and not attacking, then his FG% is not going to be low. He's a good shooter as demonstrate by his three throw %. If you shoot 90% above at the line, it means you're a good shooter. The problem being inconsistency....most of his shots are just short. Maybe better condition will help.

12. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

Wow, Tinman, you actually surprised me. Your hate for Kobe is greater than Lin, which is refreshing. :p But yes, I do agree with you completely. I was just pointing that good players do shoot air balls. But I also think I shoot better than Lin, and I am not kidding, I get better release and not as high arch. :grin:

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't hate Lin, I like Lin.

When I criticize his game, doesn't mean I think he's a player who's throwing people under the bus and dissing his coach and teammates on ESPN or Sports Illustrated.

This is Lin with the Rockets. If fans want Linsanity with the Knicks, go find a time machine.

Yes I hate his high arching shot.

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

And I'm pretty sure people ridiculed and bashed him back then (rightfully so). So what's your point?

15. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

The one thing that I don't understand about your post OP and disagree with is your suggestion that he should learn to be a SG.

He's not a SG, he's a PG. And to me it's down to the coaches to encourage him to play like one. Even if it means more turnovers like others have said above.

When he has played in that role this season, running the offence, he has excelled at it.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

no, he was the dunk champion. people aren't mad he missed some 3s in the playoffs . they were pissed he was going out with brandy. he could have done much better.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_vNsNTdp9xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Personally, I don't think he should play SG. JLin is a very good PG. He just has to play SG a little with Harden playing PG ~40% of the time. With Harden being this dominent on the ball, Lin will be traded sooner or later if he (or Harden) doesn't change his game.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with everything but one point. He isn't a SG stop asking him to be a better catch & shoot player & becoming a SG. He is a better playmaker than Harden let him make more plays. Right now Harden makes plays 80% of the time & Lin makes plays 20% of the time. That needs to be 50-50 or even 60-40 (in Hardens favour). Place Lin & Harden at the top of the key Harden on the right because he is left dominant & Lin on the left because he is right dominant. Let them both make plays right now Lin is Mario Chalmers & Harden is LBJ. Really Lin should be Wade & Harden LBJ.

inb4 somebody says that I think LBJ/Wade are of similar talent as Harden/Lin or something like that.

19. zdrav

zdrav Member

We see stretches of the game during which Lin seems to be in the free-flowing facilitator role again, so that gives me hope that this is all part of one big experimental stage with a young roster.

If the coaches want to turn Lin into a spot-up shooter, why not just start Delfino or even Daquan Cook?

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

If his TO number drops, Lin usually has bad games.