1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Won't happen. He'll get offered a bigger contract than DeAndre Jordan and he got over $10 million a year.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind a Roy Hibbert in Rockets Red.

4. alethios

alethios Member

He may have blossomed into a decent center, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up his rookie year, and his stock rose because he developed and got better over several years. He could have done the same thing here even if he did a stint in D-League.

I see D-League as PT for players who otherwise would see too much bench in the NBA. I don't doubt Morris will blossom into a decent 3/4, but I hope it's while he's still a Rocket.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Awesome, more fumbling/bumbling of personel management.

Can we get Tony Robbins in with Morey to teach him how to manage personalities?

DD

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Since the Rockets are definitely the ones lying here, he doesn't want to come here. Another prospect we can say bye-bye to because of terrible PR. Wouldn't suprise me if Morey tells potential draft picks they are an "asset" they covet.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes. Coddle the role players that are teetering on the edge of the lottery!

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

9. jopatmc

You're kidding, I hope.

I'd rather have an honest straight shooter that knows how to evaluate and value NBA talent than some politician talking out of both ends overpaying for crap.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He says he's glad he didn't come here. Scratch him off the FA list.

11. DaDakota

Clearly you are not a manager - just because you are going to send them there, does not mean you "TELL" them you are going to do it.

What is the point of that? If you draft him, he has no choice, if you don't, and he blossoms he has a negative view of your organization.

Yeah, there is just no need, it is a poor choice - one of many the Rockets make under Morey - in regards to handling egos/people.

DD

1 person likes this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Your criticisms of management are overblow ^

1 person likes this.
  13. jopatmc

That's fine with me. He's fixing to get overpaid for mediocrity.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I see the D-League in the same way. I think it's great that the Rockets have developed a minor-league-esque system. They've been innovative and other teams have tried to copy their hybrid model.

But it's a legit question -- if the players don't buy into a development league, is it doing more harm than good?

It obviously didn't hurt Patterson, but he didn't like it at the time. It's very clear Morris is disappointed with how his season has gone.

It will be interesting to see if that stigma lessens over time.

15. DaDakota

I see a pattern here, and I believe crap like this is spoken amongst the players.

It does not help when your strategy is to lure big free agents when folks around the league are not saying good things about Rox management.

Just how I see it, feel free to disagree.....

DD

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm surprised he's become this good. didn't he have some issue w/ one leg being shorter than the other?

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If he came here, he would've been sent to the D-league with Yao on the floor and Mutombo on the bench. I don't think that would factor into his decision now.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It really is a shame that young NBA players can't fully appreciate the opportunity that a WELL-RUN D-League affiliate can give them to showcase and hone their skills in a professional basketball environment. I sincerely hope that teams like the Rockets, Lakers and Spurs--and their more comprehensive use of their respective D-League affiliates--will help change this perception.

That said, I can appreciate the non-basketball reasons for not wanting to be send out to the D-League. As someone who has spent some time with a Continental Basketball League team, I saw first-hand just how different a day in the life of a non-NBA professional basketball player can be. Instead of traveling by charter plane, staying at 5-star hotels and getting hefty meal per diems (which many players pocket for the extra cash) as an NBA player, guys in the CBA (and presumably the D-League) are traveling by bus, staying at Best Westerns and getting just enough meal per diem to cover two meals at McDonald's.

But given that NBA players sent down are still collecting their NBA salaries, you'd think those guy would sack up and just pay for their own meals. Still, I realize the psychology of the situation and how young guys don't want to go through those experiences.

However, those who can quickly comprehend and appreciate the basketball opportunities such a "demotion" affords them will be more likely to prosper in the long run.

19. jopatmc

Doesn't matter whether the players buy into the d-league or not. When they are drafted in the first round and given guaranteed money, they are buying into the NBA......er.....actually the NBA is buying them and their services for the next few years.

If they want to develop their career and increase their future earnings, they should buy into a quality team's developmental plan for them. If they are drafted by a team that is crap and doesn't know how to develop talent, then they should keep their mouth shut and go about developing their own game until they can leave as a free agent.

These guys are paid millions of dollars. Most of them make more in their rookie season than 90% of the rest of American society makes in a lifetime.

Shut up and play ball, you overhyped underperforming first round pick. Go where the team tells you to go. And do what the team tells you to do. And take care of your money. Cuz you'll never find another job like the one you got paying you anything close to what you get in the NBA.

2 people like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

um ...yeah, I really am starting to doubt whether our front office really understands how to communicate with players. Maybe i'm making too much of it, but with Yao's re-occuring injuries and Deke's age it seems to me you would have wanted to sell Hibbert on the fact that he had a good chance to actually contribute on the Rockets, if he was willing to work hard on his development. You sell him on the fact that he get's to work with two of the greatest centers in NBA history. I still don't quite understand why we send our lotto picks to the D-League. Do you really think it helped Morris' development this year? It actaully appears to have been the opposite. Seems like it did far more to hurt his confidence rather than aid his development. This idea that we can just stash talent in the D-league, and forego opportunities to get our young guys on the floor in an NBA game is a head-scratcher.

How much development do you get from the D-League vs. practicing with NBA players every day; or God forbid, getting 15 minutes on the floor. The way Scola and Pat played inconsistantly this year begs the question; why wasn't Morris given at least a little time on the floor? I just don't like it. Seems like a wasted year with regard to Morris. And you don't have to be a Stuart Smally to understand that you don't market your franchise to players by telling them that their going to the minors regardless of what they do.

#20 Aruba77, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012