1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Julio Lugo arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, May 1, 2003.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/50103_sports_astroarrested.html

Houston Astro jailed, charged with beating his wife

Houston Astros shortstop Julio Lugo was jailed after allegedly beating his wife.

By James Irby
    ABC13 Eyewitness News
    (5/01/03) — A Houston Astro was jailed Wednesday night on charges that he assaulted his wife outside Minute Maid Park just before the team's game against the Atlanta Braves.
    Julio Lugo's wife was taken to the hospital for treatment while he went on to play against the Atlanta Braves. Authorities say he beat his wife.

Authorities say Lugo and his 25-year old wife, Maybelline, were on their way to the game when they got into an argument. At that time, Lugo's wife says he hit her. That's when they got out of the vehicle and he allegedly slammed her head into the truck.

After the game, the Astros shortstop was arrested and charged with family violence assault. A protective order has been issued. Lugo can't have any contact with his wife.

Maybelline Lugo was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital, where she was treated and released.

Stay with Eyewitness News with this developing story.

*waiting for the 1st "I'm suprised Lugo didn't swing and miss when he tried to hit her" post*

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Sad and unfortunate. This I believe will be the begining of the end of Lugo "1" in Houston.

I wish guys would never beat their wife. Anyway all is not lost - they can patch it up and move on to better violence and abuse/assault free days for both parties.

Sad indeed.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Maybe it's Maybelline.....

No, seriously, that's wrong. It's wrong to even hit a woman, but to slam her head on a car? That's just sick.:mad:

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The annual Astros meltdown has started a little early this year.

I think Lugo is now history. Drayton will try to dump him as fast as he can.

I also think that eventually this year Jimy Williams is history as well. This team has talent, but they are playing pretty awful baseball right now.

5. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

To make matters worse, I'm pretty sure she's pregnant or just recently had their child.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, he can hit his wife all right...too bad he can't hit a baseball

7. PhiSlammaJamma

If he stays is prison he'll have his most consistent season to date.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hello to my new most-hated player in the league.

:mad:

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Jim Rome is gonna go OFF on this guy today!:mad:

10. codell

Im sure he will gloss him "Julio Sluggo"

11. RocketMan Tex

This year, the Astros sure aren't waiting until September to roll out their annual melt-down.

12. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

no wonder I have never liked the fool

crappy shortstop player and now a wife beater..idiot

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm actually hoping these are false allegations...but if they're not, he should prosecuted big time! that's just awful...i can not imagine intentionally trying to physically hurt my wife.

14. RocketMan Tex

I can't imagine any man trying to physically hurt any woman. Any man who does so should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Root for the good guys:rolleyes:

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Amen. I've had my share of temper problems in the past, but not once has the thought of hitting my girlfriend crossed my mind.

However, I have thought about hitting a girl before. Game 6, 1997 WCF, my roommates' girlfriend was laughing in my face, about 3 inches away, after Stockton made the shot. I remember my exact words:

"Greg, get your ****ing girlfriend out of my face before I punch her in her mouth."

"Uh, Stephanie, you should probably stop that now."

I don't think I would've done it, though. More likely, my television would've been shattered. :)

I read over at www.orangewhoopass.com that they released him. Is this true?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

oh my gosh!! that's so funny...there is a sign i can see from my office with Julio Lugo on it that says, Root for the Good Guys!!! Wonder how quickly they'll be taking down that sign.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Isn't Lugo the one who was all happy in the off-season as the Astros acquired one of his relatives who now plays in the Astros minor league system? They were all happy to be on the same team now.

Lugo's play has been extremely disappointing this season. Then, he goes and does this. He's not exactly a role model and I doubt wife beater is someone Astros management or the clubhouse wants around. I guess he thought he could get away with it and go on like nothing happened. His wife made sure that wasn't the case. Good for her.

Surf

19. codell

Since Uncle Drayton has owned the team, I don't believe anything like this has happened. I am sure Drayton will follow the "innocent unitl proven guilty" line and wait for a verdict before taking any type of action.

One thing is for sure though. This isn't going to help attendance.

20. RocketMan Tex

ROCKHEAD needs to get ahold of Lugo's mugshot and photoshop "root for the good guys" underneath it!!!:D