1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now is not the time to panic. Our team is heading in a great direction.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Nov 13, 2012.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

After tonight's game there seems to be a lot of anger and venting. However take a step back and think about how we almost took down the defending champions LeBron and D-Wade!!! With a cast that is 30 wins on paper at best!!! That is a significant achievement!!! Losing this game only meant we get a better shot at a lottery pick in this year's draft and I cannot wait to see what is in store for this group as they grow and develop, while having MAX capspace the next summer where a star-studded group of PF's such as Paul Millsap and Josh Smith, etc etc, will become free agents, eager for a fresh change of scenery.

Now, none of you should have expected Jeremy Lin to be a superstar. He isn't, and I knew that his signing was much more of a business move than anything else. He isn't worth the hype, nor the criticsm that he is receiving now. Those that are blaming everything on Jeremy Lin: did you think he was the second reincarnation of Jason Kidd or something? Do you really think he can be a top PG in this league? Linsanity was fu#$@# awesome, and while he was EXCELLENT last year, you've GOT to realise that he's gotta come back to earth sometime sooner than later.

We have a fantastic SG in James Harden, a very well-rounded group of rookies, now its just gotta take time and a few more moves from Morey to nudge our team towards greatness.

It was just one game, fellas. In the long-term, losing this game probably was at least as good as winning it. After all, it was only 1 win that separated us from Brandon Roy.

1 person likes this.
  2. nono

nono Member

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with your post for the most part. But once again it is odd to me that everyone isn't understanding why our backcourt is struggling so much. It really has nothing to do with "coming down to earth". It is clear to anyone with a basic basketball knowledge. I don't profess to knowing everything about the game at all but even I can see the flaws in the roster. Useless picks/screens being set, no roll man going hard to the rim, lack of consistent outside shooting. That is it in a nutshell & yet people are repeating incorrect narratives. It is what it is though.

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

Firstly, Lin won't be a superstar (if you define superstar as MVP potential franchise player). But he wasn't just a "business move". You don't invest $30mil with no suitable backup on a "business move".

Secondly, James Harden is indeed a fantastic SG, and he should be used as such, not as the Rockets' PG. Hopefully, what the coaches are trying to do is turn both of them into near-equally-proficient combo guards so that both of them don't have to be on the floor at the same time, but it's still frustrating having to watch Lin try to become Steve fricking Novak.

5. dragonz

dragonz Member

IMO, Lin is a GREAT P&R point guard with obvious weakness, but he was trilled in D'Antoni system, and made himself famous.

This team can be so good, or at least fun to watch if we can land D'Antoni as coach, but unfortunately that cannot happen now with Lakers' impatient of Phil Jackson.

6. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

It isn't going to get any better until there's a big man who can play the PnR on this team. In the meantime, Harden and Lin will look worse than they are. Ironic how there's a log jam with the big guys but not one good PnR-er in there.

It's sad to see all the talent and potential going to waste because Morey couldn't put together a well-fitting roster with a good coach. People were saying this roster was a mess, but I thought they were just hating. I guess the original plan was Dwight, and while I can't stand his primadonna ass, Harden/Lin-Dwight PnR would be sick.

7. thebeardedone

thebeardedone New Member

I completely agree. Why are people shouting off with their heads 7 games into the seasoning? The team is young they eventually will gel and start running off wins. We lost to the best team in the NBA with 3 super stars to our one All star. We fought hard. The biggest thing we learned today is no lead is safe and they have to close out games. This is nothing new it happened against Denver and Portland we were close in the fourth and fell apart. They will learn how to do this over the year. I hate the fans on here who think we will win a ring over night. Shoot in a better position than the Lakers right now.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

They don't need Dantoni though. Just need a PNR big man & shooters to spread the floor. Kind of like how the Sixers have assembled there team with Jrue Holiday attacking, Bynum down low & surrounded by shooters. You don't need MDA to run the high pnr. -_-

9. zdrav

zdrav Member

How "drilled" was he, anyway? He hadn't exactly been with the Knicks for a long time when D'Antoni made him a starter.

10. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I wanna also add to the thread is that we didn't ONLY lost by 3, but we lost by 3 when Lebron, Dwade, AND BOSH was going MJ mode on us making shots that looks completely not doable.

11. mirus

mirus Member

I'm not sure if i'm the only one,but i like his performance under woodson more than dantoni.more controlled,but very effective

12. dragonz

dragonz Member

True that you don't need D'Antoni to run the high P&R, but there is a reason why D'Antoni got his reputation as a genius offensive coach, he trained his players to be instinctive around the picks, you can see how many options Lin has after the pick, all 4 players not just the roller run to get themselves open, that made Lin much more powerful because he is so smart and unpredictable.

With our P&R, you can see the numbness on our "spread the floor" guys.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

So far, the Rockets have been almost exactly what I thought they'd be. Erratic, mistake-prone, having hard time scoring against better teams, better than average defense, and overall mediocrity. It's clear that the present isn't a big deal, but what the future holds for our youngsters.

My biggest disappointment has probably been Lin fans. Yes, even moreso than Yao fans back in the old days. I was actually a huge proponent of signing Lin over Dragic. I though the slightly lesser money and one less player option was important for a rebuilding team. And so far nothing in Lin's play has changed my opinion. But it sucks that every time Lin has a nice game or a bad game, I cringe at having to see the overreaction on GARM. Even worse is that Lin fans has started to blame any of Lin's failiings at McHale(see the petition to get Pringles here...). It's become a clusterf*** through no fault of Lin himself. He's done pretty well. But I can't stand him now, because there are a segment of fans who care less about the Rockets and more about the player. Sure, I don't mind such fans, but at least have the courtesy to not to be that way on a Rockets forum under Rockets talk.

4 people like this.
  14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Nice post. There were aspects of Lin's game that fit in very well with Woodson (defense, ball control, smart team play). Lin could actually score alot more even in the current Rockets' system, he just has not been taking the midrange shots for whatever reason. MDA's system stalled a bit when certain players refused/did not want to buy in.

15. Playaz

Playaz Member

Obvious undercover tanker that has lost faith in the team after this loss.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I shagged your mom last night.

17. dragonz

dragonz Member

I totally agree with what you said
    But at the other hand, with the increase success/publicity of team, the stupidity of fan base will also likely to increase too. Because you will have wagon jumpers, people that usually don't care/understand sports wanting to associate themselves with the team's winning coolness.
    So out of the infinite randomness of the universe, if one day the Rockets ever became as successful as the Lakers or Celtics, you will be dealing with something much worse than this. Just go watch Yahoo! sports' fan comment to get an idea.

But that's a nice trade off, right? ;)

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

Seeing as how the Rockets are in the embryotic stage of installing an offense I think it is still to early to totally write of the coaching staff. Guys aren't even setting proper picks/screens. Getting MDA (even if he was possible) doesn't change the fact that our team is so young & inexperienced.

19. mirus

mirus Member

The knicks bench /non offensive player may not be able to create their own shot,but it does not meant they lack of fundamentals.they just need a pg at that time

20. FearTheBeardJH

Lowry and Dragic had career seasons under McHale, so coach is clearly not the reason. Same goes with Harden, he played with Westbrook who didn't have problem getting his own.