1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you take a big risk on Andrew Bynum?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Nov 15, 2012.

1. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Question I thought I'd pose - Bynum has yet to play this season. Philly may very well be tired of playing the waiting game, and may not want to extend a huge contract his way this next summer.

Right now, we have a very good defensive center, but Bynum is no schmuck defensively, and is easily the best scoring center in the league. He has post moves, a reliable mid-range jumper and is athletic. He also rebounds at a very respectable rate, and can block shots.

Houston had expressed interest in him during the Dwight Howard saga, with reporters are reliable as Woj pointing out that he would've been a fine consolation prize for Morey. The biggest concern, however, is health. Would you take the risk on Bynum in the summer if Philly didn't do everything to retain him? I think he'd fit very well with Harden and Lin, and he's incredibly young (turned 25 this year). Besides health, the other question is what do you do with Asik, but it's possible that we could flip him for a defensive upgrade at the PF spot (perhaps Josh Smith, although that's an entirely tangential supposition. But Lin / Harden / Morris / Smith / Bynum is a drool worthy lineup, just saying).

So what do you guys think?

2. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Not for max money. If he took a pay cut and a short term contract, maybe.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Rather have Omer Asik.

4. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

elaborate?

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

no. Injury is worse than I thought. His new contract would be as toxic as Amare's is now.

6. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

If his knees passed all medical tests and he saw a barber, maybe.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think we've had enough of the "broken down Center" in Houston for awhile. I wouldn't trust him to be in the lineup for very long given his health.

Also, I'd hate having to root for him.....guy's a d-bag.

8. shoops

shoops Member

Nope. Isn't he supposed to be out for at least Dec or Jan? Risky... Omer does a very respectable job as a center, so an allstar PF is more in order.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Keep Omer. Dude has heart and plays D and rebounds like a #1 center. offense is lacking (but not as bad as most thought) and there might be room for improvement. Not sure injured Bynum is worth the risk. Agree with other posters that the upgrade should come at PF.

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Right, but i'm suggesting we sign him in the off season, meaning we can see how he looks in Philly.

Also, Bynum did a very respectable job in LA, and they did what any GM would - if you are offered an upgrade, you take it. Besides that, what 'all star pf' is available or will be over the summer (in FA specifically)?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Rockets are going to acquire him, its going to be at the trade deadline when Philly decides they are going to try and get something back for what they paid for him. Otherwise, it was a wasted investment, or they are going all chips on the table.

So then you look at February.... what do the Rockets really want to give up? They would really have to give up either Lin or Asik in all reality to make the salaries work.

IMO, he's too much of an injury risk to trade for him while giving up Asik. The trade could last them their #2 piece to building a championship contender if Bynum decided to sign a max extension AND was healthy, but history has shown that this guy cannot stay on the court for longer than 2 weeks at a time.

IMO....pass, and go for someone like Pau Gasol. Let another team take a risk on him. We have already been down this road time and time again with Yao. If Asik keeps improving offensively he can at least be in the same conversation as the Bynums, or the Boguts WHEN HEALTHY in that 2nd class center rank. I don't see any reason why he can't be just as valuable if he stays healthy in given time with offensive improvement.

12. shoops

shoops Member

Bynum is a good player, but fact is his health has been a problem the past few years, so it's always a risk. Would probably have to trade for the pf or we could wait, it's not gonna come easily.

13. psingh34

psingh34 Member

my dream pickup would be aldridge .. i dont see a need to try to upgrade a position that does not need an upgrade. we are fine at center, i think asik is only going to get better as time goes on. Bynum would def give us about 10 more points than asik but is a max contract worth 10 more points? we can have a bigger upgrade at pf using that money

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'll elaborate for him.

He'd rather have Omer Asik.

1 person likes this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

OOR

We have spent all our risks on Royce White.

1 person likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Different situations.

Royce has a mental illness.

Bynum is an annoying idiot.

1 person likes this.
  17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I figure if the price is right why not? I am pretty sure we would all take a gamble on Greg Oden for a veterans min.

18. J-Red

J-Red Member

Where's the Love guys?

Kevin Love that is.

Bynum is a childish prick with attitude and injury problems. It would be like if we took all the crappy parts from Yao, T-Mac and Artest and rolled it into one great big ball of wasted hopes. No thank you. Get a tough rebounding offensive PF and we're good. Oh, and a back-up PG that isn't Douglas. That is all.

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member