1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bird: LeBron can get close to Michael

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/15001/bird-weighs-in-on-lebron-and-the-heat

Do you agree or disagree with Bird in regard to LeBron maybe getting close to Michael?

Would like to see people's take on this, that's all.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Anytime you have people compare someone to a great you'll see disagreement. But we cannot deny the facts anymore that this guy is amazing. Don't let his decisions overshadow his talent.

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I think he can be second best when it's done. Too early though

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Lebron stays healthy -- keeps getting rings and MVPs of course he should be considered with the all-times greatest. He's already a top ten player all-time IMO.

5. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I doubt he will pass Bird. Bird was better rebounder, passer, dead eye shooter, tough defender, clutch performer and could play without the ball. Also played for one franchise his whole career, so if I were starting a team, I would take Bird over him.

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

With his talent, of course it's possible.

7. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Bird would get destroyed if he went one on one with Lebron. He may be a better shooter, but rebounder, passer and defender is up for grabs

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Bird got a lot of rebounds. On a loaded frontcourt, no less. He was much better than LeBron in that aspect.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

There was a stat on ESPN comparing Jordan and LeBron at the point of their careers when they both had their first ring. LeBron had more playoff wins, a lot more. Consider that he played with that ****ty Cleveland team. Not saying he's better than Jordan or will be, just thought that was an interesting stat.

10. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Bird averaged 10rbs for his career.

11. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

My prediction:

1. Jordan
    2. Magic
    3. Durant
    4. Kareem
    5. Russell
    6. Bird
    7. Duncan
    8. Lebron
    9. Kobe
    10. Wilt

Durant will go down as the greatest scorer of all-time. He will win most scoring titles in NBA history and he will be the first one to reach 40k points(it could also be Kobe). He just have to improve lateral quickness to become elite defender. He is already better defender than Lebron was at the age of 23. Averaged most rebounds beetwen small forwards and I take ability to play without the ball and to co-exist with two other perimeter stars over playmaking. Should get enough MVP's in his prime and I expect him to win at least 3 finals MVP.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

LeBron shouldn't want to be compared to Michael. That's too much pressure.

Just play the game your way, and let people decide, at the end of your career, how you rank.

If an overhyped NBA rookie, being compared to Jordan or Hakeem or Stockton or whoever, actively tries to be them at an early stage, they're going to burn out pretty fast.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I love Kevin as much as the next guy and know hes amazing at the age he is, and has ways to improve but that's way too much...

14. dback816

dback816 Member

If bias was a crime, you'd be locked up already.

If Durant shows steady improvement nonstop for 3 more years, then he might, just might, fit match up to those delusions of yours

15. what

what Member

Lebron is the best sf/pf I've seen since Magic and Larry. I'm also not certain that Jordan was THAT much better than Magic or Larry, but since he's considered goat, I'm fine with it.

If I was starting a team I'd pick Lebron over MJ.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't think defender is really up for grabs. Bird was a great team defender, as is Lebron. However, only one of those guys could play lock down on the ball defense.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

Your list is missing Shaq and Hakeem, both of whom were better than Kobe and Duncan.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I'd pick Rudy Gay :)

19. SK34

SK34 Member

Nobody is touching MJ... Not Lebron, Not Kobe. Kobe is Kobe and Lebron is Lebron. They are trying to make their own names, they don't need to be compared.

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Dirk carried harder last year

not gonna deny that legay had a great post season