1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Lack of Inside Presence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 10, 2012.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Couldn't watch the game last night because I have NBA LP Mobile and that doesn't have any national broadcast or NBA TV games. Followed the game on gamecast and nearly had a heart attack during the last 1:30 of the game where we got real close but then gave up like a gazillion offensive rebounds to the Grizz. We have a bunch of 4's on the roster but apparently none of them can grab a rebound to save their life. The only guy putting in work down low is Omer while the 4's are on the wing jacking up 3's like there's no tomorrow.

IMO guys like PatPat, Morris, D-Mo are all the same soft big men that do not belong on the floor until they learn to bang inside on BOTH ends of the floor. Anyone see any solutions on our roster for this? The obvious choice is Terrence Jones, who looked like he had a willingness to play down low in the preseason. You'd think that a coach who played inside for a living would understand this, but apparently he wants to be D'Antoni Dos.

2. jocar

jocar Member

He watches them every day at practice, I'm sure he knows what they're capable of. This is a final audition for PPat and MM. I'd rather they get consistent time now and remove all doubt. Put it all on the table and know for sure if they are starter/2nd unit foundation players.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Marcus Morris is a small forward.
    They should be playing Jones.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure what you're issue is here. The Rockets held 2 very good offense teams that I consider contending quality teams to 93 points each game.

If its defense in the paint, I have to disagree with your quam. The Rockets have shown that they are going to be a very good interior defensive minded team.

Where they have struggled thus far is the 20+ turnovers they are averaging, and their stagnant offensive sets with very little ball movement.

So what's the problem with the young bigs banging in the post and how does that actually impact success right now with this team? Because I dont see what you're talking about as it relates to success on the court.

5. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

D-Mo hasn't seen the floor.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Absolutely right. But people just don't seem to realize holding gasol and randolph, holding aldridge, and holding smith is something we STRUGGLED with greatly last year. People take it for granted.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

[​IMG]

I want to see what's inside these presents too, OP, but you'll just have to wait. These things require patience.

8. cdastros

cdastros Member

I think they should be playing Greg Smith.

9. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

No one is boxing out, fundamentals

playing rookies would make it even worse...

10. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

I think it is coach's job to teach the details and discipline. In at least two games, 2 or 3 rockets fought for the rebounds by themselves while no opponents close by. Then the ball was hit out of bound by themselves.

Boxing out for rebound is another proof that coach did poor job in teaching.

In Jeff Van Gundy era, we were able to beat a lot of better teams due to the discipline.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Absolutely right. We desperately need a PF with the ability to grab rebounds and be a force inside the paint on both ends. A Love or Aldridge would be just too hard to get. But we could definitely use a Taj Gibson or Kenneth Faried type guy.

Pat, Morris and D-MO just dont have physicality or mentality to become that type of player. Id love to see Terrance Jones get a chance.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Two names: Terrence Jones.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I dunno man. Summer league is summer league. Preseason is preseason. I almost hope Jones will get some burn just so people will be less obsessed with the possibility of Jones and will see he's just like any other rookie who is working on his game but isn't quite ready for prime time.

Or maybe he scores 20 points in 20 minutes and usurps Patterson for the starting job? I mean after all this internet-hype, I'm honestly curious myself.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

I get that it is just pre-season. But Terrence was the only player who I have seen roll hard to the rim off of the pnr. We desperately need that seing as how we have two elite pnr guards. Honestly, Terrence is the only rookie I think that deserves playing time. None of the other 3 are ready.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Generally, it's this and our carelessness with the rock (TOs) that make us so bad. The horrid shooting doesn't help either.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Once again, our lack of inside presence aside from Omer kills us. Every frigging game, I see the opposing team grab a few crucial offensive rebounds and get themselves second chances. Do we need to hire a rebounding coach or something? I see our backcourt guys block out for rebounds more than our frontcourt guys. Embarrassing. Just embarrassing.

I know we are all about developing our young talent in the frontcourt, but if they can't do simple stuff like boxing out, I don't want to waste my time with them. That's something that could come to them as second nature. I'd rather get a vet PF who will at the very least box out and grab important rebounds. We have young players at every position, it's not realistic to think we can develop all of them.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Last nights game is a bad example for you to use. 2Pat actually scored a lot of points in the paint and grappled a lot of rebounds. Maybe you should watch the games instead of just keeping up with it thru the box score and making judgments.

18. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

and he won't be for a while since he's with the d-league vipers

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Whatever! I want three's, three's and more three's! If there was a 4 pointer I would want my PF and Center chucking them too!

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The one bad offensive rebound allowed last night on the FT came from a long bounce. They could have done better and certainly should have Asik on that play, but it is one of those where the offensive team has a chance due to the trajectory of the ball.

If you look at the season overall, the Rockets are an average defensive rebounding team so far (league average defensive rebound %= 73.4%, Rockets are at 73.1%). They are actually quite a bit above average on the offensive boards (30% O Reb % vs. 26.6% league average).

The Rockets actually do a pretty decent job of defending around the rim, the opposing team's FG% around at the rim for the Rockets is ranked 7th best in the NBA. They do allow a high portion of opposing teams shots to come at the rim (not a good thing), but that's somewhat offset by the relatively low FG% that they allow around the rim and by the fact that the Rockets are great at avoiding fouls (and thus giving up some of the highest % attempts out there: Free Throws).