1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: The New CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 5, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Sweet. Thanks, Bima.

3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Good read, Bima!

Lets hope Morey pulls off a major move before the deadline or start of the season.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good to see it all together in one place.

I would use our resources and offer 13.71 million to Nene. Not sure I would offer more than 11 or 12 to Chandler.

5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

If it hinders our ability for flexibility for 2012 free agency, I would not offer 13 million for Nene.

4 year/44 million dollar contract and more if we amnesty Thabeet.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Thanks. It is long, I need read it again, but I do not see why the Rockets could not use the amnesty provision to waive Thabeet–allowing. Thabeet costs 5M cap, and likely has no good career in NBA, we prefer to keep Hayes at low cost than keeping Thabeet.

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It really doesn't

If anything it makes us a more desirable location and more pieces to use if a deadline trade is needed to get them here.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Boffo, Bima - -thanks! :)

10. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Don't know why a rebuilding team like Hornets, which they essentially will do once they trade CP3, would want any part of a 27 year old veteran in Martin who's still on the books for 2 more years?

If I'm the Hornets, I demand Lowry, Patterson and one of Morris or our 2012 draft picks.

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Nicely done!

But this brings me back to one of the original arguments about/against the Rockets...whatever happened to athletes *wanting* to come to Houston to play? While the Rockets are setting themselves up nicely for a run at big names in 2012, it seems that most of the names either want to be in NY or LA. I'm afraid that when the time comes, no matter how much we have to offer, these guys just won't be interested in coming to Houston.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great job, Bima, but damn, it's complicated! I'll end up reading it at least three times and still not totally "get it." :-D-

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Just gotta play the hand you're dealt. Chicago freed up enough cap space to sign two major free agents last year, hoping to nab one of the super friends or at least Joe Johnson. Instead, they had to settle for Carlos Boozer and Utah's bench players. Despite not being popular with free agents, the Bulls were in the ECF and are just a MLE shooting guard away from championship contention.

Also, they didn't tank to get Rose.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's sad and awesome that we get better articles on Clutchfans than we do from the professional Rocket writers...

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Maybe Clutch can replace Dick Justice now that he's gone?

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

It's the same ole news ever year. I understand we have the flexibility to make a trade for a superstar i'm just waiting patiently for it to FINALLY BECOME REALITY.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love it, but what if we amnestied TWill or Flynn instead of Thabeet?

DD

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Excellent Article!!
    However I am left wondering what happened with the 17mil that was being paid to Yao Ming last season? Y:p

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Is that a rhetorical question? I think it's pretty straight forward what would happen if we amnestied either of those guys.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. Glad you liked the article. I realize it is long and may be a bit boring to some, but I figured that more information was better, since those not interested can just skim it.

On amnesty waiving Thabeet: If the right deal (major free agent signing or trade) comes along, I don't think Morey would hesitate to waive Thabeet if that was necessary to get the deal done. However, absent that, it doesn't really make much sense to waive Thabeet just for the sake of waiving him.

Thabeet's on the final year of his contract (assuming the Rockets don't pick up his fourth year option, a likely bet) and would probably benefit the team more as an expiring contract in trades than as a guy Les Alexander has to pay not to play basketball. (Remember, waived players still must have their full salaries paid.)

Also, the Rockets realize that they'd be better served--again, absent a major free agent signing or trade--to just hold on to that amnesty and maybe use it a couple of years down the road in case Scola breaks down. If that happens, it would MUCH more greatly benefit the franchise. And if Scola continues to play well, they probably never use it. But so what?

In your scenario (assuming no other moves to add salary), I think you could have a team of Paul, Scola, Lee, Budinger, Morris and Motiejunas and still have ALMOST enough room to offer Dwight Howard the max (the Rockets would be a little bit short, but maybe Howard would take the slight discount necessary not to have to waive/trade anyone else). Of course, that figure gets lowered if you want the team to keep its 2012 first round pick(s).

If the Rockets amnestied T-Will ($2.37M) or Flynn ($3.41M) instead of Thabeet ($5.13M), the Rockets would have less to offer. No joke, did you want me to calculate the value of a four-year contract in each scenario? If not, it's not complicated to figure the Rockets' available cap room in each instance.