1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Feb 6, 2012.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Game Changer?

link

2. gah

gah Member

I think it's a smart decision for them to try to become the next HBO but they will need some home runs to be successful at it.

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

if they get the arrested development premovie season, that would be one.

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Absolutely. There was also talk of Reno 911 coming back exclusively on Netflix; not a great show, but enjoyable for a quick laugh. What they really need to compete with HBO is an outstanding drama series. This "Lilyhammer" could be good, but it didn't really seem very appealing from the preview I saw. I'm willing to check it out, though.

I for one think that HBO needs to offer their streaming HBOGo service to consumers who don't have or want cable. I'm sure many people would be willing to pay prices comparable to Netflix's streaming only option in order to have access to all of HBO's shows and the movies that they are currently running. That would force Netflix to further step their game up in terms of original programming.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sounds like it could be both cool and funny. Badabing.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm a full-time streamer since '09, but HBO's brand is worth far more than Netflix's streaming fee; in fact with the extra convenience of online access it's probably worth more than a full standard cable package: $50/month at least, especially when you consider the potential loss from having an additional pirating option. Netflix is either a mature or declining brand, and the minute Amazon's accountants can internally justify flat-fee, non-downloadable monthly streaming for current-season television, Netflix is second tier. You wonder how Netflix never thought to incorporate DVD and digital retail sales into their business model to increase revenue and justify paying higher rights fees, until you watch Hastings' indecisiveness and uncertainty over the last year. I guess the one thing he has over other corpses like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video is that's he willing to try new things.

The only reason the original programming makes sense is because it is probably cheaper upfront than the rights purchasing for mainstream programming. You notice the only "advertising" for this hooey are these rinky-dink press releases?

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Just watched first episode. It's okay. Has some potential but for a pilot episode it doesn't grab and hold you in. Only 7 more episodes so things should heat up quickly if they want it to work.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Really hope Netflix dies.

/Angry Ubuntu user.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

I was very skeptical of this show but after watching the first episode, I'm pleasantly surprised. Definitely more of a comedy than a drama, though. I'll likely be watching the rest of the episodes soon.

You have to be kidding me. Adding HBO to a cable/satellite subscription is only like an additional $10-$15 a month, and you think it would be worth it to consumers to pay $50/month to get the content in a streaming-only capacity? It would probably be cheaper for consumers to just buy HBO's overpriced DVDs. I love HBO's original programs, but there is no way I'd pay $50/month to watch them (especially when they can't be streamed easily to televisions). HBO is already giving out their entire catalog via streaming free to subscribers. And I wouldn't consider the streaming-only option to be "an additional pirating option" when people can easily download the DVD rips of any show they want via torrents or any number of sites.

#9 HeWhoIsLunchbox, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. what

what Member

This show is freakin awesome. I LOVE the comedy in it. Perfect.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W4B3gAkb1fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

I enjoyed the show at the beginning, but by the 8th episode I was bored. I'm pretty surprised that they're doing a 2nd season.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Season 2 of Lilyhammer is now available.

14. what

what Member

I'm obsessed with Marian Saastad Ottesen

she has to be one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

On the left:
    [​IMG]

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

They accepted your challenge.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Whoa! I didn't think there'd be a second one. The first one was a little off.