1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets record be better or worse if the Stern trade went through?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Feb 20, 2012.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Let's see, Rockets are 18-14 right now.

With the Stern deal, Rockets would have had

Lowry/Flynn/Lin
    Lee/Williams
    Parsons/Budinger
    Gasol/Patterson
    Nene/Hill

Some things to keep in mind.

-Nene would have been hurt, he has already missed 9 games this season, and is still out with an injury.
    -Gasol did not want to play here and might have sulked and played bad.
    -Lin is tough, he might have gotten a shot to be backup PG, but he only embraced his role when he became a starter. There is no way Lin would have started instead of Lowry, in fact I am sure that Lin would not have blown up even if he was getting backup PG minutes here.

Basically, the Rockets would have been worse with that roster, here is why:
    -Samuel Dalembert is having a better year than Nene, has a higher PER than Nene, and he has not missed a game this season (not sure if PER takes into account games missed though). Not to mention, Nene's contract is crippling, Morey would have massively overpaid him for his production. Dally's contract is way better.

-Horrible wing-production, if you thought that the Clippers wings are bad, look at what the Rockets would have had. Parsons can't shoot, Lee is marginal starter, Williams can't even earn a starting spot, and Budinger is wildly inconsistent. They would have been the worst wing rotation in the league.

-Our depth is what wins us games, in this shortened season, our depth has been key to our success so far. If you look at the roster, our bench is the best in the NBA and has won us games by themselves, this deal would have killed that.

Say what you want about Kevin, but every GM in the league would rank him as a top 10 SG.

SUMMARY
    Trade would not have made us any better, would have crippled the franchise for the next 3 years with bloated contracts, Gasol is declining, so is Nene. We'd have no depth at all.

Thank you David Stern for saving Morey and the Rockets.

2. Prince

Prince Member

definitely yes.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Ifs, ands, buts.

Who knows.

Maybe Gasol would be playing angry instead of upset. Back to the All-Star level the whole world knows he is capable of playing.
    Maybe Lin would realize his potential in extended minutes.
    Maybe Nene never suffers the injury he suffered with Denver...Or maybe Nene does not even sign and Daly joins instead.

I hate speculation threads like these because no analysis is ever accurate.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes better. Lin would have been Lowrys backup by now. Lee and often Lin on some nights would be trading minutes at Guard with Lowry. Nene and Gasol would have given all the defense, height, rebounding, and scoring the Rockets needed to more than replace Scola and Martin.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That squad would've gotten us out the 1st round instead of a playoff scrimmage series for OKC,Dallas, or San Antonio IMO... We are doomed!!!

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

^^^The problem here is we would have Chuck Hayes. I dunno about you but Gasol and Hayes together would have been amazing, and better than Scola and Dalembert. Nene is injured but his injury isn't season ending, he'll be back eventually then you'll have a four man rotation of Nene/Patterson/Gasol/Hayes.

Lin is actually 6'3, good enough to be a SG in the league (he's around Lee's height?). Also, with Dragic and Martin both gone it would have opened some PT for WIlliams and Morris, who might show some potential with PT. The lack of a good wing scorer would have been compensated, if not then you have pieces and could trade Patterson+something else for a wing upgrade.

Fact is, that vetoed trade could have made us one of the best teams in the L.

7. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I just have a feeling the Gasol would have been pissy for a couple weeks before he would settle in at a little lower than peak performance for him. So I'll say that we would be maybe +/- 2 games from where we are now...IE no real change.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I look at as this the trade would have netted us perhaps.

Jeremy Lin
    Pau Gasol
    Nene
    Maybe Chuck Hayes
    Marcus Morris playing because perhaps Budinger is moved to guard to backup Lee

For that the trade was worth it.

9. conquistador#11

we would probably be the no.8 seed in the western conference playoffs and lose to no. 1 seeded suns without winning a game.

10. Margrave

Margrave Member

Probably about the same.

Gasol would be an upgrade at Center/PF, but we would not have signed Dalembert, and Nene was a big question mark as to whether he would have come here, as reportedly he had issues with McHale as coach, and the guy that is related to him on these boards said he preferred to remain in Denver all along - so to me that is pie in the sky stuff.

So with Gasol and Lee starting instead of Scola and Martin and Dalembert, I don't think the team would have been significantly better.

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I agree with the analysis of the OP. However, the one factor left out is that we likely would have resigned the Chuck Wagon.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I would like a link of Gasol saying he did not want to play in Houston...

The Rockets would certainly would be better with Gasol, Nene, Hayes and Lin.

13. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

I would kind of preferred the trade in any case.
    Even with the OP if's (and that's all they are, no one knows for sure because maybe NeNe doesn't get injured with a better depth/rotation, etc.), we'd have Jeremy Lin and New York would be bad. You can say what you want about Lin, but New York is playing much better with him and destroying what was going to possibly be a high lottery pick. As far as the Rockets, maybe we'd still be a marginal playoff team but hey we'd get a chance at a lottery pick even if we made the playoffs (which isn't the case at the present moment).

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I agree and disagree.

I agree that losing depth would have really hurt us in the long run.
    I disagree with thae fact the Nene would be playing at the level he is in Denver. Playing along side Gasol would have made him much more dangerous. I also disagree with our wings being the worst in the league, I'm guessing Morris would be starting with parsons backing him up. That improve the wing scoring for the starters and improved wing defense with the 2nd unit.

Overall though, I think we prabably are better without the trade simply because of depth.

15. heartofachamp34

Forgetting a certain Chuckwagon..?

16. Games6&7in94

Games6&7in94 Member

If you don't think they'd be better, it's tough to take any conversation about the NBA with you seriously....

Rockets got completely hosed but at least Houston gets the All Star game to make up for it!

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Gasol is underrated on this board. He is a professional. Who would want to leave the Lakers who are still in position for a run at a ring? He would have played for us and hopefully came to love the city.

I still hope we can pull a Gasol trade personally.

18. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I did not like the trade. But as many speculate that we would have signed Nene & Chuck, then I would have been happy.

Lowry/Lin/Flynn
    Lee/TWill/Bud
    Parsons/Bud/Morris
    Gasol/PPat/Hill
    Nene/Chuck/Hill<p>I think the regular season record would be the same because of the schedule and not much practice time, but that would be a tough playoff team. If you could somehow swing a deal for a scoring wing using any combination of Hill, Bud, Morris, Flynn...that would be a legit team.

19. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I have a question for anyone that can answer. Wasn't the Knicks pick part of the trade?<p>I keep seeing post about the Knicks sucking and us having Lin and their pick.

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't think it was... Stern wanted the pick, pat, and Lowry along with what was already offered, which is why nothing happened.

I could be wrong though.